Doom 3 V Half-Life 2

Dunenewt

This thread is for people to post about the games, and say which one they think is better.  Personally I think Doom 3 looks better but then I like the Doom series and found HL 1 boring.

When are they going to be out I think is the big  question though.

Valva and John Carmack may have been noted for these things for Doom and Half-Life, but that doesn't mean Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 will be the same.

Overall, I'm looking forward to Half-Life 2 more, but I'm not all that interested either way.  Most games these days just seem to be a showcase of pretty effects for people to ogle until newer, prettier games come out.

however the HL 2 engine will have better interactive world physics... meaning you will be able to break  stuff , move stuff, bend stuff, burn stuff, etc, etc,

Doom3's engine also lets you break stuff, shoot light bulbs, move stuff and all of the above.

However, to what extent is not yet known :P Carmack stated not absolutely everything will have physics applied.

Also Doom3's graphics engine is sort of an era past that of Half-Life 2, which finds itself in the present and could be compared to Far Cry(or Far Cry was released too early? :P Who knows?)

When it comes to single player, Doom 3 will be more terrifying and sinister than Half-Life 2. However, the latter would hopefully have that kind of "cozyness" that its predecessor had so that it's enjoyable to play, opposed to the opponent's frightening game style.

I have said this before, and I will say it again.  I don't think that you can compare these two games. Both offer 2 different styles of play and will give us 2 different graphic capabilities.  From what I have seen (and played) Doom III kicks HL2, ass with the graphics overall, there is just nothing better, but in HL2 I have seen better graphics in some places the gameplay seems better.

But I do belive that HL2 will be "better" and sell more.  Whilst Doom is a "legendary" game series there really isn't anything to build on from Doom II and Doom and thus I feel that people are anticipating this more.  Whilst HL2 still has the same distance to fall, we know that Valve can do the "biz" and have a large platform to build on.  Who will win?  ONly you can decide!

Well I think neither of these games are good anymore. With a whole bunch of empty promises they just keep loosing legions of fans that they had gathered with previuos versions. They show cool trailers with kick-ass graphics but while they keep doing so, othe games are actualy gettin released and have the same graphics, so each time that happens, HL2 AND Doom 3 creators continue to delay trying to create even better graphics. But that really suxx, cause they just keep loosing fans, and don't forget, they don't have and endless recourse of founding the creation , so I believe if these two "legendary" games won't be realeased as soon as possible...they won't be any good anymore. I mean while they're creating the games, such hit games like Battlefield, FarCry, Halo are being released. The fact is that people want to play and not believe in legends...

Offcourse speaking on topic, I agree with EWS and think these games can't be compared due a completely different gameplay. Such games like Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament or COunter-Strike and Tactical Ops. One could compare these games because they have an identical gameplay and scenary.  ;) Sorry for a lot of text.

Hehe, Alexander, your post only applies to Half-Life 2.

ID has specificly told their fans that the game will be released when it's finished, and hasn't given out a release date yet. Doom 3 is such an advanced game that, if released last year, wouldn't have run well on most of the computers... Still now the requirements are "whooping"... Valve has been pushing Half-Life 2's release date several times, though.

Hehe, Alexander, your post only applies to Half-Life 2.

ID has specificly told their fans that the game will be released when it's finished, and hasn't given out a release date yet. Doom 3 is such an advanced game that, if released last year, wouldn't have run well on most of the computers... Still now the requirements are "whooping"... Valve has been pushing Half-Life 2's release date several times, though.

good point

Well this leaked beta of D3 ran quite well, as far as I remmeber, offcourse I don't say it completely represents the game but still it is that engine. I have Athlon XP 2400+ , GeForce III Tiatnium 128 and 256 DDram. I can't say I encountered much lag.

Indeed ID never said the release date yet, but I've read in the reviews of E3 that Doom 3 didn't cause that much comotion  as it did a year before. And this year it will be even less highlited. I don't say it's a bad game but it's not that special as it used to be 2 years ago when ID gave a view on it.

Commotion is never good for the popularity of games. That's also why I think why HL2 will not be as well received as the first one. Doom III I don't know, because Doom 2 has been a long long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, Doom 3 is gonna quite possibly the third best game of 2004, though I would put Half Life 2 at 5th or 6th.

What is the 1st and 2nd then?

Half-Life 2 will rokosor Doom3. Comma.

Errr, don't you mean period? I think you just ruined the point of your pointless statement there.