Why do people like the music?

desert_storm

Well, music elicits responses in the brain which can release hormones which we can find pleasurable as much as we might when doing anything we like. Obviously, I think there's a lot to it than that, like memory association and similar, but that's the general idea.

Where have you been, sihaya?  ;D

To the topic, I can say the music is some way to describe our world. You heard things like string theory and such, tolkienists should remember his "genesis" written in Silmarillion:

There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilъvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made. And he spoke to them, propounding to them themes of music; and they sang before him, and he was glad. But for a long while they sang only each alone, or but few together, while the rest hearkened; for each comprehended only that part of me mind of Ilъvatar from which he came, and in the understanding of their brethren they grew but slowly. Yet ever as they listened they came to deeper understanding, and increased in unison and harmony.

And it came to pass that Ilъvatar called together all the Ainur and declared to them a mighty theme, unfolding to them things greater and more wonderful than he had yet revealed; and the glory of its beginning and the splendour of its end amazed the Ainur, so that they bowed before Ilъvatar and were silent.

Then Ilъvatar said to them: 'Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music. And since I have kindled you with the Flame Imperishable, ye shall show forth your powers in adorning this theme, each with his own thoughts and devices, if he will. But I win sit and hearken, and be glad that through you great beauty has been wakened into song.'

Then the voices of the Ainur, like unto harps and lutes, and pipes and trumpets, and viols and organs, and like unto countless choirs singing with words, began to fashion the theme of Ilъvatar to a great music; and a sound arose of endless interchanging melodies woven in harmony that passed beyond hearing into the depths and into the heights, and the places of the dwelling of Ilъvatar were filled to overflowing, and the music and the echo of the music went out into the Void, and it was not void. Never since have the Ainur made any music like to this music, though it has been said that a greater still shall be made before Ilъvatar by the choirs of the Ainur and the Children of Ilъvatar after the end of days. Then the themes of Ilъvatar shall be played aright, and take Being in the moment of their utterance, for all shall then understand fully his intent in their part, and each shall know the comprehension of each, and Ilъvatar shall give to their thoughts the secret fire, being well pleased.

But now Ilъvatar sat and hearkened, and for a great while it seemed good to him, for in the music there were no flaws. But as the theme progressed, it came into the heart of Melkor to interweave matters of his own imagining that were not in accord with the theme of Ilъvatar, for he sought therein to increase the power and glory of the part assigned to himself. To Melkor among the Ainur had been given the greatest gifts of power and knowledge, and he had a share in all the gifts of his brethren. He had gone often alone into the void places seeking the Imperishable Flame; for desire grew hot within him to bring into Being things of his own, and it seemed to him that Ilъvatar took no thought for the Void, and he was impatient of its emptiness. Yet he found not the Fire, for it is with Ilъvatar. But being alone he had begun to conceive thoughts of his own unlike those of his brethren.

Some of these thoughts he now wove into his music, and straightway discord arose about him, and many that sang nigh him grew despondent, and their thought was disturbed and their music faltered; but some began to attune their music to his rather than to the thought which they had at first. Then the discord of Melkor spread ever wider, and the melodies which had been heard before foundered in a sea of turbulent sound. But Ilъvatar sat and hearkened until it seemed that about his throne there was a raging storm, as of dark waters that made war one upon another in an endless wrath that would not be assuaged.

Then Ilъvatar arose, and the Ainur perceived that he smiled; and he lifted up his left hand, and a new theme began amid the storm, like and yet unlike to the former theme, and it gathered power and had new beauty. But the discord of Melkor rose in uproar and contended with it, and again there was a war of sound more violent than before, until many of the Ainur were dismayed and sang no longer, and Melkor had the mastery. Then again Ilъvatar arose, and the Ainur perceived that his countenance was stern; and he lifted up his right hand, and behold! a third theme grew amid the confusion, and it was unlike the others. For it seemed at first soft and sweet, a mere rippling of gentle sounds in delicate melodies; but it could not be quenched, and it took to itself power and profundity. And it seemed at last that there were two musics progressing at one time before the seat of Ilъvatar, and they were utterly at variance. The one was deep and wide and beautiful, but slow and blended with an immeasurable sorrow, from which its beauty chiefly came. The other had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony, but rather a clamorous unison as of many trumpets braying upon a few notes. And it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern.

In the midst of this strife, whereat the halls of Ilъvatar shook and a tremor ran out into the silences yet unmoved, Ilъvatar arose a third time, and his face was terrible to behold. Then he raised up both his hands, and in one chord, deeper than the Abyss, higher than the Firmament, piercing as the light of the eye of Ilъvatar, the Music ceased.

Wow. I've got my own thoughts on the subject (I'm a great fan of most music) but first I'll let some others have their say...

Great art is as irrational as great music. It is mad with its own loveliness.

--George Jean Nathan

Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.

--E.Y. Harburg (Edgar Yipsel) (1898 - 1981)

Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together.

--Anais Nin

Without music, life is a journey through a desert

--Pat Conroy

Music creates order out of chaos: for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous.

--Yehudi Menuhin

I improvised, crazed by the music. . . . Even my teeth and eyes burned with fever. Each time I leaped I seemed to touch the sky and when I regained earth it seemed to be mine alone.

--Josephine Baker (1906-1975) French dancer

Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us.

--Unknown

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.

--Albert Schweitzer (01/14/1875-1965)

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.

--Victor Hugo

Where words fail, music speaks.

--Hans Christian Andersen (1805-1875) Danish short-story writer, poet

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.

--Maya Angelou

All the sounds of the earth are like music.

--Oscar Hammerstein (1895-1960)

It had never occurred to me before that music and thinking are so much alike. In fact you could say music is another way of thinking, or maybe thinking is another kind of music.

--Ursula K. Le Guin

In music one must think with the heart and feel with the brain.

--George Szell

My dear fellow, my whole life is moved by the principle that the one thing which is more important than peace is music. It is because I believe that I am poor.

--Tempest-Tost, by Robertson Davies Time don't let it slip away,

Raise your drinking glass

Here's to yesterday

---Aerosmith

Ahh... Music is (scientifically) probably so enjoyable because it has a powerful ability to play on our emotions like very little else can. Of course some people think that music that is somehow 'political' is better but personally I believe that music is often better without any words.

It's likely that some connection exists in the brain (if you record the pulses of brain waves and slow them down enough they sound remarkably like classical music) that music exploits, and in some cases maybe vibrates at exactly the right frequency to set off certain reactions. Anyone who has a weak bowel system and listens to loud bass will know this.

Finally, who cares how it does it or why we like it, fact is we do. If it ain't broke, don't interfere with it in case you break something valuable and irreplaceable.

WOW!!!  When I asked the question, I had no clue I would get a responce like yours, Caid!!  good answers though.  I agree, Dust, Music is often beter with out words.  It is just more relaxing.  But music with words has it's positives too.  Listning to music without words makes me think better, and music with words helps me to sort out my problems.  Also, Dust, do you know where to get that " (if you record the pulses of brain waves and slow them down enough they sound remarkably like classical music)" recording?  I would like to hear it.

8) Some real cool LoTR fans in here!  That's amazing...It reminds me of why I loved the Silmarillion so much!  Ah, good times. 

And I'm back from an extended vacation.  AKA I got bored and decided it was time to make my triumphant reappearance. 

Music is the ultimate way to express yourself.  It is the only way in my opinion that, if you do it intelligently, you don't insult anybody!

Love,

Alia

PS Welcome me back, boys!  Ready for some fun?

Music is a great release of stress.....Whenever I get angry,sad,happy,depressed etc....I always have a song that works for that.......

Music hold great power, to me and much of the world. Music is sort of a way to think about things and relate them....sorta a mood setter...

And good to see you back Alia, its been awhile.

Can it be said that music is a psychotic drug? Think of it in terms of a bad thing.

It's possible that music is a psychotic drug that gives the listener a psychological dependence on it, which is familiar of many other drugs.  I remember a day before where I had gone through 2 days without listening to any sort of music, and my mind raced just thinking about the riffs and grunts of SoulFly - like thinking about one more snort of cocaine after being dry for a couple of days. Upon finally putting the c.d. in, a rush of relief and euphoria flowed through me. Just like getting my hands on a pinch of cocaine after dry days. It was frightening after realizing how much of a dependence one can get from music.

Sometimes music can become really frightening - I turned on the t.v. and the commercial for Worship music was on, with scenes of teenagers putting their hands in the air looking like they were all in a drugged stupor, and methodically swayed to the music like slaves to their beloved master.

Just something to think about...

I'm not exactly a LotR fan, more a Silmarillion fan. Tolkien would be a perfect sci-fi writer, he predicted a scientifical theory, which was formulated about 30 years later as something revolutionary new. Tough it's just a part, Silmarillion has many good parts.

To the topic.

mc2.jpg

This scheme was made by R.Fludd from rosenkruzian order in 17th century, showing world as four sphere led by harmony of world strings. That was sent by one member of kyberia.sk forum. So Tolkien wasn't first  ;D

I don't have the recording, I just happened to read it in a book once. It's a pity Chani isn't around so much, she'd have something to say about this (unless of course Chani is one of Alia's pseudonyms...).

As for music being like a drug, well we all remember semuta, right?

No, Chani is English, and Alia/Pan/etc is American, and, as I recall, has the acquaintance of Ex/Tony/whatever he's calling himself now.

Music... appeals in terms of rhythm, timbre, and tune, in different ways and with different associations: associations to memories (music the like of which you've heard before), or simply an attraction to a formulaic pattern (music you hear for the first time, as well as subsequent listening).