Help with BO

Thexorb

This isn't a hygiene question.

I could use some advice regarding building orders, cos I always seem to end up (a) having nowhere near enough units in play when the rushes start, or (b) riding zero.

Let's say 8k starting money with no units or pre-built base, as Atreides. Subhouses: I usually have Ix and Fremen, or Ix and Sardaukar, depending on my enemies.

1> only play on REAL settings. Most Emperor players these days play loser n00b settings because they suck. The elite players all play QM settings, which are the only way to truly understand Emperor gameplay in it's truest form as Westwood intended it to be. All other settings are essentially a bastardization of Emperor gameplay. QM settings are: Pre On, FoW On, LW On, Crates On, SW On. 5 Starting Units. 6000 Solaris

this is the first and most fundamental step you must learn if you wanna be a truly great Emperor player one day. play QM settings, not n00b loser settings.

2> If anything that you don't like happens in the first 3 minutes of the game, quit. You are legally allowed to do so according to Westwood and their Official Tournament Rules. Anyone can quit at any time before 3 minutes into the game, and that means the game is invalid and does not count. No one wins, no one loses.

I'm aware of the 3 minute rule.

I'm aware it's a common tactic for Atreides players who get rushed early.

I'm also aware there's no way that will improve my gaming skills.

Quit if you start losing? Where's the fun in that? I'd rather get owned...

if you quit under 3, you are NOT losing unless you STICK AROUND AND TAKE THE LOSS. it is IMPOSSIBLE to be losing unless you AGREE to take a loss which you do not have to take.

no matter how good you get, you'll never be able to stop the rush of an Elite Ordos or Hark player as Atreides because Atreides tier 1 units are complete horse crap compared to the tier 1 units of the other Houses.

vs. non-elite players, you're giving them a ludicrous leg-up that will likely last for the whole game and many times result in your eventual loss, all because you can never gain back the first few minutes of losses you take in an RTS if the enemy keeps pressing you. you might end up holding him off for an hour or two and think "that was a close game" even tho the reality was, he had you by the neck from the very start since you wouldn't even the playing field for yourself

i know a million people will flame me for saying that and say "you suck" etc. but i've played on the Ladders and have extensive experience vs. an extremely high caliber of people. no one else who posts in this Strat board on a regular basis can claim to have done that. i tell you this so you realize that despite the mass-flames that will follow for me telling you this and others telling you I am wrong; i am NOT wrong. they are wrong, but they know not what they say because they have just never ever played vs. a true elite player on QM settings as Atreides (all the elite players in Emperor left lonnnnnnnnnngggggggg ago except for me a pocketful of others).

giving yourself an EVEN PLAYING FIELD is what the 3 minute Rule does. it gives you a FAIR CHANCE vs rushers of the other Houses, nothing more.

As far as I am concerned, if a player ends the game for any reason, when his opponent does not wish to end the game, that player is conceding defeat.

you must like losing then. LOL.

will you at least take my advice and play QM settings and not n00b setts? (btw, biggest n00b setts ever, which are only used by the suckiest players of ALL TIME, is: 5k, everything off.)

i ask you that because if you will then i'll still help you, but if not i'm not gonna waste my time helping you in the future.

My WOL name is, oddly enough, Thexorb.

And I don't think Navaros understands me. I don't consider myself to be anything better than a newbie. I've played 10, maybe 15 online games of Emperor. Why throw myself into battle with all the 'elite' settings when I'm barely competent with the 'noob' ones?

Playing against people who are better than you, can teach you valuable lessons. Getting your ass handed to you on a silver plate teaches you nothing at all....

And do I like losing? No.

I don't mind losing, strictly speaking.

But I don't enjoy games where I have virtually no chance of winning.

the reason i advise yourself to "break yourself in" with real settings ASAP is because n00b settings develop REAL BAD habits and QM settings develop REAL GOOD habits; and habits are hard to break

as well, i see most Emperor players fall into the trap of starting with n00b setts, growing to love them, and never ever developing themselves with real setts because they've grown too addicted to the n00b setts. so they are doomed to be mediocre players for all eternity. you seem like an alright guy so i don't wanna see that happen to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Fog of War had a semi-random environment. Some times it seem Living World was the same way... or maybe that Tornado just stayed in my opponents base all the time.

I really wish a randomizer option was included to change up the sets, cause only a Elite can play and win on any sets ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

most people hide under the protective wing of an elite player, how do you expect yourself to get better if your always in his shadow, do you think an elite player praises another elite player?.. maybe but im sure most elite players got good on there own