Do they sell Tabasco sauce outsie the US?

emprworm

Hehe, thanks Empr!

And here's a little drink that uses it;

Double Tenement Fire

Take a double shot of good quality vodka, and stir in four dessert spoons of red tabasco sauce. Down in one! ;)

I once mixed a PINT of this stuff, and... um got quite drunk...

Enjoy!

woah, Major...he he...that sounds like a whopper of a drink!

WOW! I learned something. Yes, indeed there is a hotter pepper than the Habanero.

Up until this year, the Red Savina Habanero pepper from Mexico, listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's hottest chile, held the capsicum championship, ranking at the top of the Scoville Scale with 577,000 units. But according to scientists in Assam, in northeastern India, their local Naga Jolokia pepper is almost 50 percent hotter than the Habanero, measuring 855,000 Scoville units. But the Naga Jolokia, according to the scientists, is so hot that it cannot be eaten by most mere mortals. Only the local tribes people eat it -- every day

actually i heard that those are both the same pepper.. but i may be mistaken

anyway so that everyone knows what a Scoville unit is... i heard about it ... there was this guy that invented it, because he wanted a way to measure how hot some peppers are compared to others and things like that so he invented the Scoville scale... i am pretty sure that it is based loosely on how many squirts of water it takes to extinguish the heat of a pepper.... i'm pretty sure...but it isn't measured like that anymore, obviously it would take a very long time to do that 577,000 times... anyway here is a small listing to show sort of what it is like....:

Scoville Units Pepper

100,000 to 577,000 Habanero

50,000 to 100,000 Chiltepin, Thai

30,000 to 50,000 Cayenne, Tabasco

15,000 to 30,000 Chile de Arbol

5,000 to 15,000 Serrano

2,500 to 5,000 Jalepeño

1,500 to 2,500 Cascabel

1,000 to 1,500 Poblano (ancho when dried)

500 to 1,000 Anaheim, New Mexico (hehe the chillis that are grown here)

100 to 500 Cherry pepper

0 to 100 Bell pepper, pimiento

please note: the tabasco pepper is not talking about the watered down store version, this is the raw pepper

here are some nutrition and strange facts about peppers (ummm... if anyone cares):

-next to salt, peppers are the most popular seasoning in the world

-researchers at Yale University found that candy made of hot peppers and taffy relieves the pain of mouth sores in the mouths of cancer patients on chemotherapy.

-capsaicin in peppers has been found to be a anticoagulant

anticoagulant- reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes caused by blood clots

- peppers are a good source of vitamin C, green bell peppers have twice as much vitamin C as citrus. a hot pepper contains 3.5 times as much vitamin C as an orange.

-residents of Guam consume more Tabasco sauce per capita than any other group of people in the world.

-pure capsaicin is SO HOT that you can dilute a single drop in 100,000 drops of water and then sip the water, and it will blister your tongue.

I guess since everyone is talking about tabasco I will mention one of my favorite uses of it. I like tabasco with Brisling (Sardines) and crackers. I smother the Sardines in the tabasco and let it sit for a few minutes to absorb the sauce. Very tasty.

When I was in the military I remember a lot of the MRE's (Meal Ready to Eat) would have little bottles of tabasco and I would get them from the other soldiers who did not use it. I would use tabasco on a lot of the MRE's and I needed to have a reserve supply for when I got an MRE without the pepper sauce. I could stand eating Tuna Casserole and Turkey Ala King with lots of tabasco on it. Without tabasco a lot of the MRE's were not edible for me.

In general I am a big fan of spicy type foods. My favorite type of cuisine is Thai. Thai cooking is very spicy and there is an authentic restaurant not too far from where I work. Needless to say I make a trip there at least once a month. They have some excellent Curries which are like stews that are really spicy with a tropical twist (They use coconut milk in a lot of the dishes). They always put a pitcher of water on your table at this restaurant because you need it.

When I was in the military I remember a lot of the MRE's (Meal Ready to Eat) would have little bottles of tabasco and I would get them from the other soldiers who did not use it. I would use tabasco on a lot of the MRE's and I needed to have a reserve supply for when I got an MRE without the pepper sauce. I could stand eating Tuna Casserole and Turkey Ala King with lots of tabasco on it. Without tabasco a lot of the MRE's were not edible for me.

haha yea! thats where I first started liking it. I took those cute 'lil bottles of tabasco, gathered them up and dumped it on every part of my MRE. It made the food not only edible,...but actually tasty! Yea. I actually LIKED the MRE cuz of the tabasco. Been buying it ever since.

Hey Emp, have you ever tried hungarian paprika peppers? If you don't like the peppers then try the spice. I'm sure you have probably tried it since you like spicy stuff but paprika goes well with alot of stuff. I use it for my eggs, most soups, chicken, pork, and a variety of others including pasta and rice, not to mention potatoes. ;D

Today I tried Tabasco Habanero pepper sauce and Tabasco Garlic pepper sauce.

Tabasco Habanero, was good, not as strong as I expected but good, I am a bit dissapointed since I read in it's box "proceed with caution", I expected some more after such a warning.

However, I found out that mixing some Tabasco Habanero with Tabasco Garlic is actually very good, at least with chicken, because that's what I eat today.

You guys should try Tabasco Habanero with some Tabasco Garlic mixed all together, good stuff.

ok guys, i got a little too happy here. I came into my room with a subway tuna sandwhich (yum yum). I take a look at this tabasco thread and remember all the comments everyone else made about how good it is, and I'm thinking "hmmmmm...yes, tabasco sauce is soooooooo good!".

So i grab my bottle (which I keep here by my computer), and just DUMP...I mean I am pouring this stuff on my sandwhich. All the while thinking "yummy!"

well....I took a bite of my sandwhich and quickly realized I had gone too far. My over zealous happiness of this thread caused me to drench my sandwhich in Tabasco sauce and right now as I type this, I feel one thing:

PAIN

:O

right now as I type this, I feel one thing:

PAIN

:O

Just dont think about tommorrow when the sauce is working its way out ow bad it willo burn and you should be ok... oops maybe I shouldnt of reminded you ;) ;D j/k

My Psy proff always said there is only two ways to judge if a sauce (tabasco or salsa) is really good. The first test is the spoon test. If you have to use a wooded spoon to spread it cause it removes the silver off of the other spoons you can bet its a good 'hot' sauce/salsa. The other test can only be preformed upon the exit if the sauce/salsa. If it burns as much going ou tas it did goin down then its a good sauce/salsa too ;D

", I feel one thing:

PAIN"

That reminds me: the sensors in your nose are the same as those in you mouth, but, since they must detect ppm in air, they are highly sensitive. As a result, an effective torture method is the use of anything spice on the insides of the nose.

Try some of that Tabasco on your nose, and you'll find out...