Ordos AA defense

Procyon

And don't use AA mines, they suck ;)

i recon u do use AA mines IN ADDITION TO WUTEVER AA U GOT, if u got money running, then spice is no problem, make all AA u need, even MINES, they arnt really good but they do stop something, and that something might save u. Make sure u dont keep em all in one place tho or they will go off all at once.

lol, EITS will never pass drones unless the atreides is totally blind and same thing with gunships, EITS will never pass em unless the harkonnen is blind.

Instead, after all AA u got ( loads of troopers and maybe some APC's ) u could make some AA mines. And as i said if u got money running. If ure constantly on 0 sure ull find something else to do with the money besdies AA mines.

Im wondering why so little ppl make aa mines.

Those things are almost 100% sure to hit any flying object (except carryalls on the move) They ALMOST kill a gunship, making it an easy job for a single rocket trooper to finish the job. And where did you read that drones outrun AA mine rockets? LOL If a drone comes close and the mine goes boom then I guarantee 100% that the drone is history. It never fails.

And a few APC's for mobile AA is also strongly recommended, since they outrun gunships and drones. AA mines are not very fast built though, so it would be best to have atleast 2 hangars ( ex. their construction time is longer than that of an assault tank ).

Im wondering why so little ppl make aa mines.

Those things are almost 100% sure to hit any flying object (except carryalls on the move) They ALMOST kill a gunship, making it an easy job for a single rocket trooper to finish the job.

Actually, AA mines often miss their targets, either because the missiles explode before they hit the target, or because they get outrun. They will severely damage a gunship, but it won't be enough for a single AA trooper to kill the gunship with one shot (you'll need about 4 I think). The best way to use AA mines would probably be to just leave them somewhere and wait for something to come into range, then let them detonate themselves. It's when you order AA mines to attack something, that their ineffectiveness shows more often.

It's best to have groups of sards and AA troopers. APCs will also help and if you 've got money go for some AA mines to strengthen.

However the quickest and cheapest solution are the AA troopers. Mass produce them and fill every space in your base with them (well dun block buildings' exits!).

I tend to use APCs and AA mines. APCs are more expensive than troopers, but they serve two purposes. AA mines... I tend to build about seven of them and then arrange them around my base, with two or three spare. Then when something comes the APCs can take them out and any that get close will be AA mine blasted. Of course there is now a gap in the defences, which is what the spare two are for.

Troopers are only used when I need AA power quickly and cannot wait for and APC to be built.

wel, the apc sucks for aa-defence, even though you people say that they're better then aa troopers, they are expensive, they need to be build, and it costs too much time to build them that they wil slow down your tank-production.

Timenh: what would you want if you faced a gunship fleet? stop them, or damage them?

Here comes to scout to the rescue, you have scouted the complete area at the start of the game.

It all depends what the enemy is doing. Maybe he does not have any hangars and you can attack him with your sards and engie drop with apc.

The possibilities are infinite....

Scout him first, and how about HIS strategy? he might be making guild tanks/gunships/buzsaws with assault tanks, catapult fedaykin and all the other junk.

Trust me, ordos HAS to rush, i knew it all along that if you let the enemy(harkonen or atreides) build up their forces you wil lose, no matter how many dustscouts, no matter how many lasertanks, no matter how many aa-mines you have, you wil lose. The only possibel way to win is rush and a. destroy him, or b. disable his ability to build buildings.

use troopers any day over mines. only use mines if you have money to waste (which is rare).

Why? Trooper cost 100 bucks. A mine cost 600.

You get 6 troopers for the cost of one mine. This is better in my mind, because the troopers can attack ground units and (best of all) can repeat attack. A mine is gone once used. The trooper remains. If I have 2k to spend, I'm making 20 troopers b4 I make 3 mines. Just IMHO.

Ordos have an AA disadvantage because they dont have a surface-to-air turret like the harkonnen gun turret or the atreides rocket turret. But that doesn't mean they have weak AA at all.

Sard elites help if you use sards. But if you have trouble against air units, dont switch to using sards just for the AA of the sard elite's lasgun.

Versus atreides, the #1 threat is drones. Put AA trooopers in groups of two scattered around your refineries and around your spice field. It is rare that you'll be attacked with ornithopters because of their weak missle and light armour. But if you are, use the same strat as you would for hark gunships.

Versus other ordos players, the only threat is EITS. In this case, scatter AA troopers around your buildings in farily large groups (about 7 aa shots kills an EITS).

Versus hark players is actually very easy! Many ordos fear the dreaded gunship because they dont have a unit like the drone to stop it. But think of it this way:

Cost of 10 AA troopers: 1000

Cost of ONE gunship: 1000

If you get down to the economics, it's so utterly easy. If you're winning the ground battle, build three barracks and churn out AA troopers as fast as they'll come. What I like to do is que up like 50 AA troopers, and every five troopers I will move the barracks waypoint so that the next five will go to a different location. You should have troopers on the edge of your base wall and scattered in your base. Do NOT clump them up, though! This will cause a great number of them to fire on one target, and it'll be overkill. The next target will fly over unharmed. I find that groups of 5-8 work well. Remember to stack them in layers so that the gunships are being fired at both as they fly towards your buildings and as they're attacking your buildings.

The one case where I would use AA mines is on 30k when I'm facing an EITS rush and dont have the time or the focus to position 30 AA troops into a good defence. That's about it, really.