Downloading Games

Khan

ofcourse it's illegal, but I also get games that are not legal. Many games I played were not legal and even though i didn't play them very long the creators didn't benefit from it.

Mp3's are also illegal, unless you buy the album too or something like that. But my comp is full of mp3z even though it is illegal, and i'm sure many of you have the same.

Same goes for DivX movies. You don't pay a cent and still you get to see movies that have just been released in US Movie Theaters

There are a lot of games that are free to download.

But these are usually not the games people want to buy or commercials tell them to buy.

Think that teh Dutch game "Hooligans" [ which didn't turn out all that well ] was offerd for download for free the first couple of months.

There are many old games, such as Dune II, which are not being sold nowadays. I think today there is no one who would spent some money for a game 5 years old. But still abandonware is a rare sign. To be realistic - who would pay 2000 Sk for a game, which can be burnt on any CD worth 20 Sk? My friends, there is no way here.

Distribuers must find a new way to make money, for example multiplayer tournaments or make their games cheaper. Any protection is crackable and the game is quicker on the net than in stores. Same for musicians. Their songs should be like a "demos", their priority must be concerts. You can donwload sound, but not the atmosphere of the concert and live music.

You can donwload sound, but not the atmosphere of the concert and live music.

I know what you mean by that, but some of the 'atmosphere' of the concert might be in mp3s that will undoubtedly be online and ready for download, which are recorded live versions of a given song. So in a way, people could still download some of the atmosphere of the live music, if not all. :P

"To be realistic - who would pay 2000 Sk for a game, which can be burnt on any CD worth 20 Sk? My friends, there is no way here."

Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but if you're saying that buying games officially is "not being realistic", then you're dead wrong. Like it's said before, if everyone would start to copy games and not buying them, gaming companies and developers would cease to exist. Where would the games come from then ??

I can get very angry at people downloading cracked games (not to mention those who provide them). Wishful thinking I know, but I just wish people would respect anothers work the way it should.

Just ask yourselfs the question how would you react/feel if your work where people need to pay for gets distributed freely ????

For rich american it's nothing, 10 dollars for a game. But go east from Germany and here is every game sold in same price, just people have much smaller fees. We can't afford more than one original game per year. And go to Russia. In Moscow you can buy a pirated game for a half cost of original with copied manual, invisible changes in protection... In official shop! Not just go to friend with faster net and burn. Legally, with bill and paying tax of additional value for the state! Here, NO ONE will buy original game.

LOL caid, you have no idea man. It is 49.99 for a game in US, sometimes even 59.99 for a game, so don't tell ME it is nothing. That's somewhat under a week's worth of pay for me. But well worth it to give the developers what they deserve for great games, such as any Rainbow Six game (which I could have dled but bought because it was such a great game on my friend's computer).

Exactly. Sure, you *can* buy games for $10 and less, but it's not worth the trouble. The really "good" games, like Warcraft 3, LOTR, Grand Theft Auto 3, etc. are well above $20.

I've downloaded a few MP3s, that I wouldn't have obtained any other way. Why pay $20 for a CD by someone you don't really care for to hear one song that's piqued your interest? And buying custom CDs is out of the question, considering I have no credit card, nor have any intention of getting one.

As far as games, though, I think anyone who downloads a full game that's cracked or warez is both a criminal *and* an idiot. Viruses pop up all the time from out of no-where, and virus protection is great if all the viruses are old, but worthless against new threats.

"To be realistic - who would pay 2000 Sk for a game, which can be burnt on any CD worth 20 Sk? My friends, there is no way here."

Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but if you're saying that buying games officially is "not being realistic", then you're dead wrong. Like it's said before, if everyone would start to copy games and not buying them, gaming companies and developers would cease to exist. Where would the games come from then ??

I can get very angry at people downloading cracked games (not to mention those who provide them). Wishful thinking I know, but I just wish people would respect anothers work the way it should.

Just ask yourselfs the question how would you react/feel if your work where people need to pay for gets distributed freely ????

I agree for the most part, but consider this. I've been waiting a while for Zuxxez and Eidos to release a game called Frontline Attack. Other countries had it two months ago, and despite their lies, they surely won't release it here. If it weren't for my lousy 64k connection I would have downloaded it.

LOL caid, you have no idea man. It is 49.99 for a game in US, sometimes even 59.99 for a game, so don't tell ME it is nothing. That's somewhat under a week's worth of pay for me. But well worth it to give the developers what they deserve for great games, such as any Rainbow Six game (which I could have dled but bought because it was such a great game on my friend's computer).

I was counting from our costs. So it may be higher. Average payment here is 10 000 crowns per month. That's one fifth for a game. In other countries near Slovakia it's same or worse. Some people buy, but this nation has no financial power to buy everything. And it want everything. Solve this. They are all seeking game, virus isn't a threat. Most are copied from legally bought games. One richer buys the game and then borrow it to friends to burn. It can be legal - they are making backup copies!

Another thing for you frequent mp3 downloaders: It's a rumor (I heard it on TechTV today.) that some mp3s are infected with a trojan horse. I know it's supposedly impossible to make an mp3 into a virus, since mp3s are non-executable, but the way I understood it has something to do with the playlists or options of the Winamp.

Of course, I could be completely messed up, but that's what I *thought* I heard. Just another reason to stick to radio.

Well I have heard that alot of movie companies and game companies put alot of fake stuff on the web under the name of the product so maybe tehy are starting to use viruses to stop people. Drastic times call for drastic measures.