[RELEASE] Build Queues Patch

mvi

Dune 2000 Build Queues Patch Version 1

After about a month of development, I'm pleased to release Version 1 of the Build Queues Patch. This patch introduces queuing for units when you're already building a unit from that building. So if you click light infantry 5 times then 5 troopers it will build all 10 of them sequentially. This patch works for both single player modes (campaign and practice).

I've spent much of the last week removing bugs from it, so it should be quite stable. But if you find any bugs please post. In Version 1.0 there is no facility to cancel queued orders (you have to cancel them when they begin production), I've not found this to be a major issue but if it does become a problem we can add something in.

BHVIhfd.png

Special thanks to FunkyFr3sh, Sonarpulse, Hifi for the patching framework and invaluable help on IRC

CCHyper and D2k Sardaukar for variable/function symbols

Gruntlord6 for testing the alpha builds

Download Version 1.0 at D2K+

• Upvote 11

I am a fan of your work, but this is not good for dune 2000. The one thing that keeps this game different from others is the skill it takes to constantly build, while having to mange bases and battles at the same time. It seperates dune from all other rts games. You might as well call this red alert now. Its the same thing.

This is a bad move for this game.

I am a fan of your work, but this is not good for dune 2000. The one thing that keeps this game different from others is the skill it takes to constantly build, while having to mange bases and battles at the same time. It seperates dune from all other rts games. You might as well call this red alert now. Its the same thing.

This is a bad move for this game.

i fully agree, thats why i told him to make sure this does not work online cause it is a very powerful cheat and would destroy the game quickly

but even if it does not work online, i still think it is bad for the game .. some people might starting to play with this offline and then refuse to play online cause they dont have their cheat there :/

• Upvote 1

If it can't be used online, where is the problem? Training infantry on the highest game speed without building queues is imo super annoying (especially without the high resolution patch) and the only thing I don't like about this game. No one is forced to use this, but for those who like it, this patch is imo a great addition and mvi did a very good job. (Else you could call the high-res patch a cheat as well).

• Upvote 3

Nice work, mvi! Training infantry will finally be fun.

Perhaps it's an idea to keep this as a separate branch/fork, because not everybody thinks this fits with the original game(play)?

Considering this build doesn't work online, it's not going to merge.

That said, I don't see why anyone think it takes skill to click things repeatedly, it just makes the game extremely repetitive. Skill should be defined by your APM and strategy, not how fast you can spam a build button.

Good job MVI.

• Upvote 4

It's not about spamming clicks though. It's not beneficial to have full infantry production. What is needed most is the heavy factory, then some quads and couple troopers. And that is about constant production rather than as fast as possible. And to be good at any RTS, you gotta click fast anyway, it's for the purpose of fast and efficient unit control (micro). Even game like Warcraft 3 requires overall fast clicking. Dune has unlimited cash at some point, so it makes completely no sense to have automatic production. People will have crapload of units they will not know how to use. There is not much strategy in this game, there is just game tactics during attacking and defending stage.

It's not about spamming clicks though. It's not beneficial to have full infantry production. What is needed most is the heavy factory, then some quads and couple troopers. And that is about constant production rather than as fast as possible. And to be good at any RTS, you gotta click fast anyway, it's for the purpose of fast and efficient unit control (micro). Even game like Warcraft 3 requires overall fast clicking. Dune has unlimited cash at some point, so it makes completely no sense to have automatic production. People will have crapload of units they will not know how to use. There is not much strategy in this game, there is just game tactics during attacking and defending stage.

All this does is it lets you focus your clicks on the field, rather then jumping back to the build queue for each individual unit. You still need to visit the queue to adjust the units being constructed to match what you need for gameplay, its streamlined not automated.

• Upvote 1

They are going to end up with tons of units anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Waiting strategy using "8 min no rush" and one bo (refinery spam) at maximum speed,

well, ok - still waiting. What I can say else...

Playing without economy you kill strategy. Also, about what kind of "micro" at the maximum

speed you're talking? Infantry against tanks? Or maybe, really good positioning of the units?

At maximum speed micro completely absent. In addition, there is still such a thing as network

latency. This delay does not allow to micro the infantry and vehicles. Chaotic game goes on

the micro. Crush infantry - is unreal, to avoid - too. I.e. someone as lucky.

Other "micro" like save broken tank, or substitute a blow harvesters, or to force attack, it is

not a micro, this is a regular game. Build queues is not cheat, it is a necessity. This is a step

to get away from the benefits due to the clique, to the advantage of thinking strategically.

A long time ago, оn the irrevocably died duneforum, i have wrote all about the shortcomings

of the game. We need to understand why d2k ceded StarCraft. The reason was a worst implementation.

I do not believe that this game can be rectified, even though the MVI and community has done so much.

What about the practice mode, I have build of the unreal hardcore mod from my countryman.

We communicated earlier and streaming his mod together(yeah, I know best way to streaming d2k).

There was everything tied to the strong economic side(two type of harvesters), weak pillboxes

and a ton of new and interesting units. Fight with a computer was difficult because he was

building units ~2.5 times more + in alliance + 4 hark = R.I.P (if you play alone).

He is an expert of the game balancing, because we tested 215 mod builds. Also we have many our

utilities(map editor, tileblock's editors, map render, . . .). Now it's all in the past, mod abandoned.

I never aimed to crack the dune. I just explore the game mechanisms(mechanics, behavior of units,

all in-game processes) and game engine. Therefore, I can safely say, interesting in dune at

the moment is too low.

Interest in the game will appear in the possibilities of the game. Not just different

possibilities needed. Simply put: in small things need to be a great opportunity.

I can easily explain what is missing. But no one will listen. I wonder when I see the pros play.

But when i see unbalance rounds due to a clicks - is absolutely not interested.

Elementary multitask - it's not an idea, it is - practice. When we confuse the sport with

intelligence - we are wrong. There is quantity, but there is quality - are two different things.

I do not want to be misunderstood, strategies for me are primarily interested in the fact that

the number of variants is inexhaustible. So when we go in way speed and concentration - the game

becomes monotonous. It's just my humble opinion.

Oh dude, a bit hard to read above. But I can agree that balancing a mod is not an easy task. I spent hours testing all campaign missions to be sure they were playable when I created my mod (which was based on Epic Dune mod).

He had me until he said the game couldn't be saved. People are obviously interested in playing the game online, so saying it can't be saved is foolish.

• Upvote 1

All MVI wanted to do was make the game funner/easier, and now there's a huge mob going after him. Also, I'd like to point out that he pretty much started the Dune 2000 modding scene, and now half the people here hate him. 

• Upvote 2

First of all huge THANKS! to mvi. I was expecting this for a long time :) I will not enter to discuss if it is good idea or not. It is a great job and I like it thats it.

However, I'm having some troubles to make it work: when I use the queuqes patch Dune2000.exe doesn't start anymore, instead I got the warning "this video card does not support the requiered modes" I'm using the high-res patch, and I've tried either with highres patch or not but still not work. Am I doing something wrong?

By the way I've read about the new framework patch; is that a new version of Dune 2000? can i download it?

Thanks for reply. 
  • Upvote 1

First of all huge THANKS! to mvi. I was expecting this for a long time :) I will not enter to discuss if it is good idea or not. It is a great job and I like it thats it.
However, I'm having some troubles to make it work: when I use the queuqes patch Dune2000.exe doesn't start anymore, instead I got the warning "this video card does not support the requiered modes" I'm using the high-res patch, and I've tried either with highres patch or not but still not work. Am I doing something wrong?

By the way I've read about the new framework patch; is that a new version of Dune 2000? can i download it?
Thanks for reply. 

You need to remove the resolution patch entirely as it's not supported by the patching framework. I am assuming you are running windows 8 or 8.1, as I've had similar issues. If that is the case, you also need to run the game in compatibility mode for windows 98, then the game should display correctly.

You need to remove the resolution patch entirely as it's not supported by the patching framework. I am assuming you are running windows 8 or 8.1, as I've had similar issues. If that is the case, you also need to run the game in compatibility mode for windows 98, then the game should display correctly.

ok thanks! yes indeed i'm running win 8.1- so, if i remove the high res patch how do i get it work later once the queques patch is applied?. i saw in mvi's screenshot at the download page with both patches running.