Light Infantry

evilbaronatreides

they some of the most versatile units in the game. with an excellent speed and unique firepower, storm a group of light infantry and sending them into enemy bases. though that irritating mino or flame tank takes you out, they CAN'T take out legions of them. wreak havoc on infantry rock as they win almost every infantry battle.

• 3 weeks later...

so how would you suggest keeping them alive long enough to become elite.

please answer Some  more questions from a newbie

Also, how can I speed up the promotion process?

do I kill more units, shoot more shots, live more encounters; what?

(Snipers are easier to get promoted, so I can get them to elite)

If I am Atreides, can I use Vehicles or subhouse units to enhance my production buildings like I can do with my inf?

Thanx

• 1 month later...
Some Crates contains experience points (People hardly talk about crates in the game) if you play Skirmish.

I had once a level three deviator with that and it was cool like hell!

As atreides, I once found a deviator in a crate, got it promoted to level two with crates, got it stealthed with crates, then used it to confuse my enemy when half of his assault tanks got destroyed and the rest attacked his base.;D Boy that was fun, until my other enemy appeared in my base with a squadron of NIABs :'(

Light infantry en masse are wonderful against Light Vehicles (that can't run over) and most other infantry (e.g. don't use against lots of Mortar/Sardaukar/Flamethrowers/Chemical Troopers). It's surprising how vehicles can succomb to a hail of sub-machinegun bullets. Light infantry are cheap and very quick to build so casualties can easily be replaced (if you remember to do so - hotkeying a Barracks and using rally points can help enormously as this makes all units coming out of that Barracks automatically respond to the hotkey).

But training them up to Elite is quite hard as they die so fast if you're not careful. According to the rules.txt file, a single Light Infantry soldier would have to kill 10 enemy infantry or 7 Light vehicles to reach Lv3. Knowing that it is almost impossible to make a single Light Infantry soldier do this without losing him, you have to rely on groups of infantry, meaning lots more to kill for a single Lv3 to turn up. I suppose you could group Lv1 and Lv2 soldiers separately when they get their promotion and train them up as a group later. It is easy to get single promotions of soldiers but going from Lv2 to Lv3 takes much longer.

What I want to know is why is the Harkonnen Light infantry are so much better than the Atreides Light infantry? Atreides has the more expensive counterpart, yet a single Harkonnen Light infantry soldier could probably take on 2 Atreides soldiers and survive. Harkonnen soldiers finish shooting faster, can move almost immediately after shooting (time to aim the rifle away) and reload immediately (that rifle goes back up to shoot again as soon as it goes down). Atreides soldiers, like Sardaukar, empty a magazine, fit another one, then are ready to move whilst they rearm the rifle to shoot again a short while later. Why such difference?