Who on Earth visits this website?

Dunenewt

Just quickly glancing at 'Who's online' and I saw visitors from Hungary, Costa Rica Poland, Denmark, Australia, Russia, Canada, USA, and the United Kingdom.  What other countries have you seen people visiting from?  I wonder from how many different countries people have visited.

Visitors from

Albania

Algeria

Australia

Austria

Belgium

Brazil

Bulgaria

Canada

Chile

China (PR)

Costa Rica

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Iceland

India

Iran

Ireland

Israel

Italy

Japan

Lithuania

Latvia

Namibia

Netherlands

New Zealand

North Korea

Norway

Oman

Pakistan

Phillipenes

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Russia

Singapore

South Africa

South Korea

Spain

Sweden

Turkey

UAE

UK

Ukraine

USA

Wow Kirby. You just blew my mind.

Word.

I'm sure people from many different countries visit the site. Though I often feel there are only American, British and Dutch people around here  ;D

You left out the Singaporeans 8)

Perhaps it's more than just people finding the site. Maybe unidentified engines popping around here, quirky network packets...

Saw a guy from United Arab Emirates looking at a thread about the repression of free speech.

I guess you won't be seeing him again any time soon, then. :P

What really surprises me is the large number of guests reading random old threads. I often see guests reading threads that are over a year old. I never look that far back into the archives when I stumble across a forum...

People, it's a forum, I don't mean to be rude, but that means its global and since dune is so popular, many people around the world visit this site.

I think he's trying to say that since the forum is not limited geographically, that you should expect a random dispersion amongst users from other countries. Ie: don't be surprised that the viewers are so evenly dispersed from countries around the word (or rather from locales, since different countries would mean different populations and irregular member % from certain countries) rather than the viewers coming mostly from a few countries.

I guess that's obvious, which is why he seemed to be suggesting that that being the case people shouldn't be posting as though it is surprising about posters from such varied locations having been spotted, but that he didn't want to insult them about acting though it was unexpected.

He seems to have mistaken a listing exercise for people going OMG, there are people from Sweden and the Vatican here! Though I haven't asked him myself.

'' guess you won't be seeing him again any time soon, then. Tongue''

Lol, these kind of practicalities that pop up like this always amuse me.

''What really surprises me is the large number of guests reading random old threads. I often see guests reading threads that are over a year old. I never look that far back into the archives when I stumble across a forum...''

I can relate to that. Just a few days ago I was wondering about the oddity myself.

''I wish he did that again. Most of the people you see viewing are probably search engines''

Could this be the answer to the above peculiarity? Posts viewed by a search engine would be wholly random and our idea of ''old'' is threads over a year old. Especially considering post frequency btw now and then, the vast majority of threads are ''old'' thread. Hence, if we count the threads being viewed randomly of course most would be ''old''.

Unless, these are actually nick-name bearing users you refer to Edrico? In that case the mystery survives.

Great, good you realized it you reject.

I think he's trying to say that since the forum is not limited geographically, that you should expect a random dispersion amongst users from other countries. Ie: don't be surprised that the viewers are so evenly dispersed from countries around the word (or rather from locales, since different countries would mean different populations and irregular member % from certain countries) rather than the viewers coming mostly from a few countries.

I guess that's obvious, which is why he seemed to be suggesting that that being the case people shouldn't be posting as though it is surprising about posters from such varied locations having been spotted, but that he didn't want to insult them about acting though it was unexpected.

That is what I mean't, obviously some users/viewers have mistaken what I have said.

I was just thinking that.  Didn't it used to come up 'Googlebot' or something similar, instead of guest?

Yep, I remember that. They would be given identification. You mean they no longer were identified as such?

However, even in the days when the bots were identified, there were still a large number of such unidentified users looking at ancient, random posts. Hmm... ::)

I was looking at the member map and saw one in Japan and clicked on his profile - SandChigger and found a Duneish blog he set up that is updated continuously. It has blogs about how Brian Herbert and KJ Anderson reek as authors, etc. Interesting reading!

http://chiggerblog.hairyticksofdune.net/blog/

He got banned from the official Dune message board from what I can work out.