Who on Earth visits this website?

Dunenewt

You can't see the Papyrus font?

Nope.

IE6.

I find myself reading slower when that font is being used. That's just me, I guess.

I'm sure it's not the colour that's affecting my reading.

I haven't seen the font, but I suppose the letters are drawn in an unusual way, so it takes longer to associate them with the letter appearance patterns you've got from your regular reading experience.

post-3074-12833239604515_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think he was just quite rude and excessive with his criticism.

That's a fairly accurate assessment. :D

I exchanged a few emails with KJA, during the course of which he treated me like a total Dune n00b. We tried to do an email interview with him later and he replied with answers he obviously hadn't put any time or thought into.

That's when it got PERSONAL. And thus it remains.

That's a fairly accurate assessment. :D

I exchanged a few emails with KJA, during the course of which he treated me like a total Dune n00b. We tried to do an email interview with him later and he replied with answers he obviously hadn't put any time or thought into.

That's when it got PERSONAL. And thus it remains.

What sight are you usually on?  and have you tried e-mailing Herbert Jr.?  It's a shame KJA was like that. oh well.

I'm now usually on Jacurutu, Freakzilla's new site, and The (Almost) Undeleted, run by Omphalos. (I'm blocked from viewing Dune Novels...wink wink, nudge nudge, knowharramean? Block's as good as a blink to a cielago in flight, wot?) I haven't been doing much on Wikipedia recently; it's in fairly good hands for the moment, it seems. I've been terrorizing the Amazon US discussion fora as well. Used to be active on Arrakeen until it went floppy-white-bits up. (Aye, now thar's a tale fer tha tellin', har har! Aye!)

I haven't tried contacting Brian directly. He doesn't do email (supposedly). I have exchanged emails with Kimberly Herbert over on MySpace, though. She seems nice enough, and quite devoted to her father. Brian is such a non-entity online due to his Internet phobia. (Byron, his nephew claims it's "philosophical reservations" concerning the Web, but he's just mouthing the official line. And there are those who think that it's all just part of a "oh, look, the eccentric author" PR thing.) I don't really know what to think about him. I've looked through quite a bit of his Timeweb now, and I'm not impressed. Supposedly he's written half of the new Dune books, but I don't see much of the same style in them. (I've looked at more of Kevin's stuff, and I can more easily believe that he's responsible for the majority of the new books.)

The great tragedy of the piece is that Brian felt he HAD to work with someone (like he worked with his father at the end) AND that he chose Kevin. (If you read between the lines of the accounts of how they got together, you get a picture of KJA promoting himself with the hardsell.)

Ah well.

• 3 weeks later...