What are you reading right now?

Dunenewt

Right now, I'm slowly working my way through the House Prequels, which will then lead to the Jihad ones.  I've just finished reading the Original Six, and I'm trying to mentally downgrade myself so that I'm not disappointed when I eventually read Hunters and Sandworms.  I remember the first time I read Hunters - back in the day, so to speak - I had just finished Chapterhouse.  It was not a good experience.

Perhaps this time, with the exploits of Omnius and The Gang fresh in my mind, I shall be more receptive to Brian and Kevin's Dune.

Just finished Terry Pratchet: Moving pictures, pretty good.

I've just finished reading the Original Six, and I'm trying to mentally downgrade myself so that I'm not disappointed when I eventually read Hunters and Sandworms..

what do you mean "mentally downgrade"?

My cable bill.  I guess you could classify that under horror.

The worst part is that I don't even have cable...

As for books, just finished Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.  It's the book that inspired Tarkovski's Stalker, as well as the more recent FPS S.T.A.L.K.E.R..  Apparently they're making a movie soon, as well.

And I've just started William Gibson's Virtual Light.

The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Lord Fouls Bane

The Illearth War

The Power That Preserves

The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

The Wounded Land

The One Tree

White Gold Wielder

The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

The Runes of the Earth

Fatal Revenant

Against All Things Ending (as yet to be written/released.)

The Last Dark (as yet to be written/released.)

There is also a short story, Gilden-Fire which is basically a chapter from the Illearth War that Donaldson cut when told to scale down the size of the book.

He cut the whole episode as he realised it altered the perspective of the reader and in his view removed the doubt of whether The Land was real or a figment Covenants of imagination.

Anyone who is a fan of the writing styles of Herbert Or Tolkien should IMO opinion find Donaldson fascinating.

Of course for a Fun short read Terry Pratchett is the Master

Or for a short compelling read David Gemmell.

Haha vek, got the poker bug do ya? I've read a few books on it. Check out Phil Gordon's little books (Little Red Book, Blue Book, and Green Book).

I'm currently reading a ton of stuff all at once, which can be confusing. But here's the basic list:

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (book 1)

Easy Learning for Japanese

The Book of the Samurai by Hagakure

Eon by Greg Bear

Moving Mars by Greg Bear

Just finished:

Venus by Ben Bova

Starflight and other Impossibilities by Ben Bova

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

You have started an Epic set of books there Acriku- The Wheel of Time.

The books become quite complex to follow later as the story leaps from character to character but I found them quite compelling, as yet i haven't had time to read book 11 or buy book 12.

Prequel: New Spring

Book 1: The Eye of the World

Book 2: The Great Hunt

Book 3: The Dragon Reborn

Book 4: The Shadow Rising

Book 5: The Fires of Heaven

Book 6: Lord of Chaos

Book 7: A Crown of Swords

Book 8: The Path of Daggers

Book 9: Winter's Heart

Book 10: Crossroads of Twilight

Book 11: Knife of Dreams

Book 12: A Memory of Light

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman I enjoyed but was disappointed at the lack of a sequel.

Alchemi - wow, had no idea the series was that long. Well, that makes for good reading!  ;D Do you think there should have been a sequel for The Forever War? I think the universe he created in that book could make more stories, you're right.

Alchemi - wow, had no idea the series was that long. Well, that makes for good reading!  ;D Do you think there should have been a sequel for The Forever War? I think the universe he created in that book could make more stories, you're right.

Yea and I believe there are still more books to come, I should check that out at somepoint.

It's along time since i read forever war may dig it out again, but yea i felt that there was a definate openning for sequels and further development, may check that out as well and see it one has been done or is planned.

@ Acriku-: it really depends on what you are interested in. most of these books are really good though some of them aren't that useful to me right now because I don't play multi-table-tournaments for example. but they all have their purpose, else I wouldn't have bought them :)

I'm not into Omaha, so I don't know any good books for it. I usually play short-handed fixed limit cashgames and sometimes I play some no limit sit & go tourneys, but they are just for fun then, not for serously making some cash  :)