Good indicators for the end of EBFD

Xano

Sure the community size fluctuates. Does that mean death? I don't think so. As you can tell just from the responses you have gotten that there are quite a few people that will never let this game die. I am one of those. Like alot of the players I got this game the day it hit the shelves. I didnt go online until after I beat all 3 houses missions on hard though. So it was about a week before I came online. I have seen this game through all phases. There were even periods where I was too busy in my personal life that i wasn't able to get online and play. I always came back though. As did alot of other players. Now if all your looking for is the trendy new releases this isn't the game for you. But if you want a truley enjoyable online gaming experience than this is exactly the game for you. But people have been saying this game is dead or dying for years now. Yet here we all are still talking about it as well as playing it. So you have a choice to make. You gonna beleive what you hear or you gonna beleive what you see? I see this game alive and well. Maybe not a huge player base,but it is far from dead.

To be honest the community may survive, but unfortunately EBFD days probably are numbered, purely due to the impending release of Microsoft's next O/S after Windows XP, and we all know how hard it is to get EBFD to work on Win XP (I still have Win ME for that reason!).

The new O/S I understand is to ship next year (Win XP support is presently scheduled to cease end of this year). It hopefully will support EBFD...

...but then again it may not.

Oh on the mod issue, there are less mods released now because all the simple (and some complex) things have been done (and very well to that matter). That leaves a few of us trying to "push the boat out" with much larger and more complex mods which due to time/work constraints often fall by the wayside.

I am probably 90% complete on my Conflict mod, with just icons and Harkonnen missions to do. I am at present tidying up the Ixian building textures (they were done 18 months ago) and purging all the unnecessary textures/buildings from 2 years of trying things out.

This will be the first (and probably last) mod to ever modify the campaign mission storylines to fit with the house changes, and I hope will give a new perspective and hopefully gameplay to campaign mode. I still hope to release the mod before Microsoft gets it's next O/S out!

As long as a few of us are left with a PC that runs EBFD playing either single-user (me) or multi-user (the community), it still lives.

Long live the Emperor!

Agreed, but the further we get from a version of MS O/S that natively works with EBFD without lots of fiddling, the less likely we are to get new recruits. Without new recruits the community will slowly shrink.

I have C&C Generals, but on my PC EBFD works and Generals does one day and not the next - so guess what I dont bother trying to play Generals anymore (I quite liked the missions before anyone says it's not as good as EBFD).

What I am saying IMHO is that as it gets more difficult to do something people then dont bother. So the more difficult it gets for people to run EBFD, the less there will be.

And yes there are dual-boot options - (my possible next task for my PC) but again only for a few, the majority of punters will buy a standard PC with the latest Windows O/S and stick on the latest game that works. If they have to fiddle to get it to work, the more likely they are to not bother.

Personally I love EBFD and will do everything to keep playing it as long as I can, but my next PC is likely to be with the new Win O/S on it and if EBFD doesnt work - c'est la vie.

I don't think the current community cares about new recruits.

How did you work this one out? You say you think we(The community) don't care?

I personally find that as an offence concidering I'm trying to find new and old players from WoL to HELP the the community grow. I mean, havn't some people already mentioned the words.

AHHH fresh meat to slaughter! >:(

I care actually, its always nice to meet new players,

Not to slap around cuz honestly there is no Joy in that, but its nice that alot of ppl are playing I have just as much fun goofing off in a build as i do trying to kick Guns ass ( which doesnt happen) fortunately I dont play gun all that much.

speaking of noobs

MORD i ben looking for you online.

Its certainly fun to play with players who know what they are doing, but if they are newbies, it has been well noted many of us will invite them to training sessions and one on ones, and 2 vs 3 or even 2 vs 4's to accommadate them. I honestly dont think too many of us mind them.

We dont feel the need to go out and find them (other then Muds, who simply must have too much time on his hands ;)).

XP has trouble with some older games, that's a fact. Now I didn't have a problem with xp & emperor either, but I think there are several topics in the emperor support forum about this. When the only change is the installation of xp, I believe people can safely assume it's not a hardware problem. However, sometimes the problem may not have to do with emp itself but with drivers that need to be updated (a previous version on another os did the job; but on xp the latest drivers were required).

One of the biggest problems is people tend to update video card drivers to the absolute latest vers. for say, a 5200 type or gforce4 or older card. Fact is those using that type of card don't get any new benifits from it at all, I actually had to use an older archived one to stop wacky things from happening in Emp. such as wierd button displays etc. Unless you have the latest spanking new video card, those newer drivers don't offer jack. Other than that XP or any other OS never gave me a problem playing it.

• 6 years later...