Unique Video Games??

TMA_1

The Neverhood is a really great game!

That had me going for quite a while when I was younger.

Agreed.  I still laugh when I remember that first scene with the Weasel (that green crab thing).  It's a damn shame the game isn't compatible with WinXP or ME at all.  Something to do with the registry.

Also, if you're looking for a good RPG, try a Rogue-like (like Diablo, but worse graphics and much more depth).  I've just started Ancient Domains of Magic (ADOM) a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying it.  There's also NetHack, which is arguably better, but I don't like it as much (you can't tell the difference between a wall and an unexplored area).  Anyway, ADOM is based heavily on Dungeons and Dragons rules, and is extremely in-depth.  Don't be discouraged by the fact that it has no graphics.  The entire game is made in ASCII, and sixteen colours.  No sprites, no models, no backgrounds, and the only sound is the odd speaker beep.  It sounds crappy, but in a way, it really helps you use your imagination.

That would be nice, considering it doesn't seem to run on WinXP for many many people over at Home of the Underdogs.

At the very best, you could get it to run, but would have to beat the game in one go, as the game will crash if you try to load saved games.  But if your friend could do that, I would really like to have a talk with him.  Thanks.

Medieval: Total War never tires me for some reason. With the Medieval XL mod installed it's an even greater game then originally.

Stronghold was an excellent game, too. The sequel is going to be released soon and I'm definitely going to pick it up.

To me the core of the game is set up quite well for Dune, Starting with the Romans, I'm seeing them as the Landsraad (or maybe the guild thinking back to the old Dune mod for Medieval idea, where the Papacy was the guild) then the three Roman houses could be Harkonnen, Atreides and one other house (probably Ordos but could be any prominent Landsraad house, or could be left out all together).

The whole thing could go two ways as far as the map was concerned. Either there could be various planets (built as islands) and then you need to transports men to other planets in ships across space (the sea). In that case you could have various factions but they all spawn off of the Roman one's, so that they are kept in line. Arrakis would be independant of the empire, with rebel fremen units randomly cropping up.

Alternatively you could set the whole thing on Arrakis in a very Dune 2-esque fashion with all three houses fighting over it and total domination being the goal. In that case then Arrakeen could be in the center of the map held by the Emperor. The other factions could only attack it when they have enough support in the landsraad, not to hard to link to senate/people popularity I suppose. To make it less bland (three factions isn't much) more like ginaz, richese, Ix, Tleilaxu could be added.

Wow that sounds impressive to me, would be a pretty major mod though.

There is a map editor, but yet very buggy, I will have to contact guys from Total Realism how they use it first. Well, until then you can make a unit/building list with attributes and rewrite quotes and names to dunish ones  ;)