Unique Video Games??

TMA_1

I am getting tired of bland gaming.

Some of you hopefully know what I mean. I want fewer gimmiky features and graphics, and more story. Not that I see anything wrong with cool features, its just that many games these days are ultra produced for the mass audiance.

These kinds of games are almost always fun, but they dont get me really hooked on the game. There has to be something more to it. There has to be something deeper to a game, somethingt hat grabs my attention.

Can any of you guys suggest any good website that would show some really awesome games out there for me? Do any of you guys have any suggestions? I really am looking for an awesome story, as well as a mood that will really tie me into the game. any suggestions??

A good example for a game (though well produced) would be Deus Ex. The story shocked the hell out of me as I really never knew much about it before I played it.

Well, if you're never played it, I highly reccomend the Monolith game Blood.  (If you have WinXP, you'll find how to get it running here.)  The story isn't actually progressed in the game much (as is to be expected of a game that old), but the atmosphere is amazing.

More recently, I found the story in Half-Life 2 to be quite enthralling, and who can resist the old-school goodness of Painkiller?

I sure hope you're being sarcastic on all points there, DukeLeto...

You know, I really hope this thread takes off.  I love good games with good storylines instead of empty graphics.

Just today, I started Loom, which was LucasArts' first adventure game, and predecessor to Monkey Island and the Indiana Jones adventures.  The story is really refreshing.  You play a seventeen year old boy in the Guild of Weavers, who use musical combinations to 'weave' spells.  Your guild has forbidden you to learn their craft, because they fear you will bring a chaos which was foretold by a magical Loom.  Instead of having inventory, you manipulate the world with these 'drafts' which are activated similarly to playing the game Simon (red, blue, red, red; you know).

Anyway, because it's so old, you can easily find it on abandoneware or >ahem< underdog websites for free download.  Give it a whirl.

Ans aside from Deus Ex, do you have any recommendations?

Sarcastic?  Moi?  No, I've quite enjoyed Blood both times I've played through it (not to mention having played through the first level at least once on all 5 difficulties), and am still working on Cryptic Passage and Plasma Pak.

However, if it isn't action games you're looking for, may I suggest Zork?  The old early-1908s text-based ones are great fun, albiet I've never finished any of them (I got really close to finishing Lurking Horror, but I lost a critical component to the endgame).  Return to Zork is also really good, but it (unfortunately) seems to be incompatable with Windows XP.

Note: The text ones are also readily available online, seeing as Infocom no longer exists.

Whew... where to begin...

First, yes certainly; the games produced today have gobs of cash poured into them to make them look pretty, and to market them to hell. As a result, time and effort usually isn't put into silly things like "content" "sotry-line" and decent "game design."

This is why if you look at a game shelf, you can find 10 different WWII FPS at any time, all of which are pretty much the same, with only slight variations in just how quickly they max out your system resources. ***

So, what to suggestion... first a shameless plug is a good idea... Dune:Tribes has content. It isn't single player so there's no "storyline" to follow in terms of a what you would find in an RPG, or single player FPS or some such, but well... it's got a Dune storyline, political factions and all the rest. Course, I'm sure that's not what you meant, so on to other suggestions.

You're best bet for *good* creative games, is to look for those with a release date of 1985->1995. The golden years :D. Most of the games I liked were on the old Amiga, so I've got an Amiga emulater set up to run them; I'd suggest doing the same since the Amiga's graphics were far superior to just about anything else at the time, and the Amiga games ported over to DOS look pretty ugly.

well i see your problem. Rather understandable but there are games with great storylines like starcraft but i suppose you didn't mean that one since pretty much everone knows that already.

Now let us see...

- I must say I realy enjoyed the game Evil Islands. It's an RPG, about 4 years old or something. You are a character and wake up on an island. You have

practically no clothes or weapons so you start searching for a nearby village. To get there you have to pass numerous beasts which you either kill like in

most RPG's or sneak behind them (If you crawl they won't see/hear you very well). After you did all that stuff you come into a village and find out that

you're in some sort of stoneage, as they use stone clubs, animal hides etc. On this island you get a LOT of quests, a lot of interaction with the different

people (there's a treachery). Eventually once you've done the most important quests you go through the underground and come in a new island. Which is set

in medieval times. the third island puts you in some sort of.... arabian time? Anyway it is a bit different from most RPG's which makes it a bit strange at

first. But personally I liked it a lot.

- Then there's also the earth 2150 series. It's rather good and somewhat different from most strategy games i guess.

- There's the myth series (1,2,3) which has a great storyline and some nice action. But it is rather difficult and I guess not everyone like it.

- Or maybe Stronghold/stronghold crusader? Do you know that one? I haven't played crusader but Stronghold itself  had a funny storyline and some good gameplay

oh darn, have to go... Maybe more later

Tachyon: The Fringe

Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption

Nomad

Darklands

Stronghold (old D&D based game, awesome design and gameplay)

Tie Fighter

The Dig

A Mind Forever Voyaging

There are a bunch more, I will think up a few more in a bit.

Thanks for the help guys, any other suggestions?

I remember you talking about a game called Dreamweb, and other games like that Vanguard, good storylines and stuff as I remember you saying. Should check out that game.

Was that the wierd Caveman thing, jeez, crush you are really showing your age. :P

:O

Well at least someone around here knows what the definition of 'fun' entails. ;D

I used to play it with a mate of mine who owned a Nes. I used to bring my TV to his house in a wheel-barrow so we could play. Back then of course you could do such a thing without the risk of being called stupid. Anyway, we only got to level 46 or something... it was one-hit-death!! >:( (and even then we used plenty of those sneaky warps to jump 10 levels or so). Uhh it was the trampolining cavemen that really were our downfall. You never knew where they would land. :'(