Ukraine Revolution

Davidu

I don't know how much you know about this, but in Ukraine a revolution is under way. Though no violence ( thank God) occured, it could turn bloody any minute. Putin, supports his pro-russian puppet that won the so-called elections, while large amounts of he population supports the pro-western candidate.

The current unkrainean president sent the police to disperse the opposition that was demonstraiting throughout the country. In many cases the policemen joined the demonstrations saying that they cannot attack the people that want liberty, their duty being to defend them.

Western Unkraine and even Kiev do not acknoledge the pro-russian candidate. This guy has called miners to the capital from the pro-russian east part of ukraine.

Russia itsself sent to Kiev 1000 commando troops. And Putin is strongly supporting his puppet candidate. Before the elections he said that the ukraineans should think well who they vote. Or something like that.

As I said until now no violences, and I hope that everything will end peacefully, with an independant Ukraine. Their situation if far worse than ours in '89. They could have a civil war, and surely Russia will intervene. That will be a bloodbath.

I can't give you a site with hot info, but try www.cnn.com

That's new...

The last things I heard today were that some artists will emigrate if the opposition will not win. Another thing: in Lvov next to the national banner on the airport there is also the orange banner of the opposition.

Anyone who knows something please post it.

I don't like the divided world we live in. I would like few larger countries instead of many small ones. Like the disolvement of Jugoslavia, that was also a bad thing. I think that the world is better off with many larger countries. we need to unite people! USA, EU and the Soviet Union would be perfect.

And later an economic alliance between these powers would help to increase the wealth of the society :)

Over here we've always been on the border of something. Near the truks, near the russians, etc.

A new USSR is not a very pleasant idea for the people that have been under their influence. And besides, the unkrainians deserve a fresh breeze from the west, don't they? We've got romanians in Northern Bucovina and Bugeac that the USSR gave to Ukraine. We can't just take them back... so if Ukraine is doing better, our people over there will be doing better as well.

We've just had elections over here too. We'll have a second poll again in 2 weeks. Our politicians totally ignored the recent developements in Ukraine. They were too "busy" too see their fight for freedom.

//**

Russia IS a superpower... but they should let others live their own lives.

Bah, people are giving this situation far more importance than it deserves. The actual policies of the two candidates are very similar (sounds familiar, doesn't it?). The only real difference is that one supports the interests of Western corporations, while the other supports the interests of the Russian government. Either way, the Ukrainian people lose.

Of course, it's understandable that the Ukrainian people are sick and tired of their old masters, and took the only choice given to them in these elections - a new set of masters. But if they hope for some improvement in their lives, they're going to be very dissapointed...

I hope that Russia will occupy Ukraine for a start to form a new soviet union.

Occupation is a messy, costly business. No intelligent empire will physically occupy another nation unless it absolutely has no other choice. Installing a puppet regime usually gives much better results. Therefore, Putin is trying to install a puppet regime in the Ukraine, not occupy it.

And the Soviet Union isn't coming back any time soon. A new Czarist Empire, maybe, but not a new Soviet Union.

The Russians won't give up that easy, it's not in their nature. And I'm also in full support for the re-rise of the Soviet Union, of course, in the current Capitalist state.

That would be a new Czarist Empire, not a new Soviet Union.

Russia IS a superpower... but they should let others live their own lives.

Russia is a ruin, a shadow of its former self. In 1992 they've lost land that they had been holding for centuries - since Peter the Great, in fact. What happened in 1992 to Russia is the equivalent of the United States being reduced to the original 13 states. That was a massive blow, and it is perfectly normal that Putin should be desperate to return Russia to its former glory - and such an action necessarely includes reasserting Russian dominance over territories that have traditionally been under Russian dominance.

As for whether an invigorated Russia would be a good or bad thing... well, given the filthy capitalist oligarchy and the band of ex-stalinist kleptocrats who rule Russia these days, I'd say it would be a pretty bad thing.

Well they don't have much of an alternative, so what can they do? You could pop over the border and start your own revolution...

Ah, but I can't speak Ukrainian. ;)

Who knows, Edric, maybe they'll live better. If they learn from their mistakes.

THEY (as in the Ukrainian people) haven't actually made any mistakes - after all, nobody really asked their opinion on anything. They've had mistakes made for them, so to speak.