God Emperor of Dune

Spectral Paladin

I don't think Dune movies are fit for public ( I mean in theaters ) display. Dune has 70% of dialogue and the rest is some action, well I movie with 870% dialogue would probably suck  :- I mean, only Dune fans would like them and the rest of the people would just say that the movie is cheap and so on, making bad impression for Dune.

Some say maybe, some say not possible until special effects are unbeleiveable real (for Leto II).

I hope they do in about a year or 2.

Then Heretics and Chapterhouse filmed at the same time and released in theatres. :P

::) You'd be surprised.

I don't think Dune movies are fit for public ( I mean in theaters ) display. Dune has 70% of dialogue and the rest is some action, well I movie with 70% dialogue would probably suck  :- I mean, only Dune fans would like them and the rest of the people would just say that the movie is cheap and so on, making bad impression for Dune.

Not so. Just because a film has a little action and alota' dialogue doesn't make it a critical and financial failure. If the film has a proportionate balance between all its necessary elements (and when I say elements I don't mean: action, suspense, dialogue etc.) then its not going to matter what the public thinks. Check these balances at the beginning, where time is the most delicate. If its a good film its a good film, there's no use trying to tailor make something for the public by throwing in the correct doses of genre sentiment.

StarWars is pure action and still there're many things an avergae viewer doesn't understand, how do you expect them to understand what are , for xmpl, the Honoured Matres all about?

What the hell are you talking about?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...and why are they so strong, where do they come from? Scattering? see Duniverse itself is quite complicated, and how do you expect a none Dune-fan, the guy who never heard of Dune would understand it all. He'd just come out of the cinema and say: I didn't understand a shit, the movie suxx  :-

Why even worry about if they're going to make another stupid miniseries or movie?  I mean hell, I like both miniseries and even own them, but only because I'm such a Dune fan.  There's such a drive these days to make too much into movies and I really don't see too great of a reason to do it.  I mean...most of us here have probably read some if not all of the Dune books and I'm sure we have good enough imaginations.  Hope I'm not coming off as "anti-movie" or something here, because if someone made a new Dune movie or something, I'd probably go see it.  I'm just thinking it's not the best story for the movie format--and that's okay because imaginations always have been and always will be better than any movie.

Why even worry about if they're going to make another stupid miniseries or movie?  I mean hell, I like both miniseries and even own them, but only because I'm such a Dune fan.  There's such a drive these days to make too much into movies and I really don't see too great of a reason to do it.  I mean...most of us here have probably read some if not all of the Dune books and I'm sure we have good enough imaginations.  Hope I'm not coming off as "anti-movie" or something here, because if someone made a new Dune movie or something, I'd probably go see it.  I'm just thinking it's not the best story for the movie format--and that's okay because imaginations always have been and always will be better than any movie.

EXACTLY!

Sometimes people want to manifest their imagination. I think it was primarily fascination by books themselves what led people like Jodorowski, Lynch or Harrison... If I would have their influence and money, I would do it as well.

the only good sci fi movies generally come from short stories, or are baesd on them. I mean not all the time, but all the greats work like that. Dark City, or 2001 are examples, Ill show you some more I gotta look em up again.

It is hard to take an entire book and make it a movie. you all know that by now.

We do have the technology to make a good Leto II, just need to pick the write cgi artists. I think a lot of it shouldnt even have to do with computers, as he would be a perfect example of extremely good make up and animtronics.

the only good sci fi movies generally come from short stories, or are baesd on them.

I largely agree.  Short stories give so much elbow room, as they can't sweep through an entire universe.

Dark City, or 2001 are examples, Ill show you some more I gotta look em up again.

...Dark City was a short story?  I must have it...  Who wrote it?  WHOO?!

We do have the technology to make a good Leto II, just need to pick the write cgi artists. I think a lot of it shouldnt even have to do with computers, as he would be a perfect example of extremely good make up and animtronics.

But GeoD has no action and that's what people like the movies for in nowadays - for the good visuals. Displaying Leto II is not enough. The movie would be 80% dialogue and that's not good. In LotR: Two Towers they made 60% of the movie dialogue and it was met with a lot of flaming, that's why we see mostly action in LoTR: Return of the King. The fact is - The original FH Dune series are not good for movie making  :- On the other hand, one could make a great movie out of one of the prequels or BJ's  ;)

I think they freaked out once they got to COD, because after that the books are EVEN MORE complex than they were already. The miniseries were bad enough as is with cutting material from the book... I think it would be really hard to do movies of the rest of the series. But if someone were willing to do a good job and work extremely hard at it, that would be great... if it's even possible! :D

I think they freaked out once they got to COD, because after that the books are EVEN MORE complex than they were already. The miniseries were bad enough as is with cutting material from the book... I think it would be really hard to do movies of the rest of the series. But if someone were willing to do a good job and work extremely hard at it, that would be great... if it's even possible! :D

Well I just baught CoD DVD yesterday, I quite enjoyed the movie. Especialy the place where Chani is giving birth, and this cool EnigmaEnya style music, displaying Alia's revenge  ;) What I like about CoD is that what they couldn't show correctly they didn't show, while again, in LOTR: The Two Towers they added their own things, that didn't fit in any aspect  :-

Yeah I agree with that... at least they didn't show things wrong. Actually the COD miniseries was best... that birth/death scene is also my favorite!  ;D

It's just that I didn't think either movie had the same feel of the books... they are good as movies, and parts of them felt right, but overall it didn't. I guess most of all I wanted the characters to be the right age... Paul did not look 16 (although I think Alec Newman is a terrific actor) and Leto and Ghani were DEFINITELY not 9 years old. I would have liked to see the twins younger, especially.

Maybe I'm just a die-hard fan of the book, and can't stand to see anything about them change... but hey its just a sign of my endless admiration :D.

Actualy it's a problem of many movies that are based on the books - they just can't find an actor young enough to fit the complex character of the one discribed in the book. What kind of actor must 9 years old kid be to speak those high quotes of Leto II, with the appropriate intonation :) Atleast in CoD they found a kid who could perform as little Farad'n.

I also dislike the way Paul looks, but Gurney , Duncan, Chani and Alia look good..yet again Alia looks too old for the Messiah part. And Irulan definately doesn't look like "blond beuty"  :)