God Emperor of Dune

Spectral Paladin

Yeah I completely understand the choice they made to keep the quality of the acting... I dunno, I just thought the story was much more impressive and effective in the book when the twins were so young.

hehe see what you mean tinuviel. They thought they had to add arwen to the lotr movies because they wanted a love story (to satisfiy the women, no joke that is what one of the people working on the movie said, kinda sexist, hope it was just his idea and not the idea of the whole story.) Also you can tell by some of the quotes from the movie that they used a lot of the appendix from Return of the King with arwen and aragorn.

I agree with the same thing concerning Dune, but it was even more phoney because it was totally made up. They just wanted a love triangle and to turn irulan into some sort of innocent hero. They ruined the relationship from the books because of it though. See, in the novels irulan hated and loved muad'dib at the same time. She respected and loved him, and wished that he would show affections back. It was more than her just wanting a heir. There was a desire there for paul, but she knew that paul meant what he said about no intercourse or deep love. Paul felt sorry for her but that is about it, and that pity enraged irulan even more and I think that partially had something to do with the great conspiracy. See, she hated him because he was so uncaring towards her, yet too proud to admit it. Paul was something great, and she felt attached to that, as well as something more, but she was jealous and hated that he did not show any sort of caring in return.

If you read the little notes before each "chapter", whne reading irulans notes, you can sense this attraction and great love for paul.

Indeed it was prophetic, all she had were her books to pour out her love and admiration on. that is all she had.

You really feel bad for Irulan when you think about all that, don't you? She was just unlucky, born into a position where she was used politically, and unlucky in her choice of love... or not a choice, I suppose. It's too bad they didn't portray her better in the movies- I think they were nervous about not getting her complexity across or something, but the alternative was worse. Irulan is more human in the book, and thus more compelling. :)

With LOTR- even though it's a great visual presentation of Tolkien's works, the moviemakers still tried to please the crowd. I wish they weren't so worried about upsetting people and losing customers... in this case I think they would have upset less people had they NOT altered the story so much. Part of it as well is that a movie is a visual medium, and in the books even though the women aren't physically part of the action, they are thought about and talked about all the time... they provide some of the inspiration of the characters. To put that across in a movie they had to make it more visual, and thus physical, so the women are more active. It still doesn't mean I like it, but I can understand part of why they did it. :D

I've read all LOTR books in lithuanian so I don't know all the names in english, well anyway the daughter of king Theoden did play a major role, by killing that lord of nazgul and all. I was quite disapointed with the first movie, the seocnd was OK, but the third made me like the movies , the battle for Minas Tirith was excelent  ;)

Irulan was supposed to look more beutyful, be more inteligent , she was supposed to look better than Chani, forcing to think WHY didn't Paul choose her. Instead in the movies Chani looks much better, making Paul's choice obviuos and that's definately not the mood of the books. I still like the actress, but she just doesn't fit..in my opinion.