Greatest military leader?

The most greatest leader in my opinion is: Ghenghis Khan.

The Mongol leader destroyed hundreds of armies with his superior tactics.

Many leaders of the future such as Napoleon, Rommel etc. Has studied his tactics and learned from it so it can be used against the foe.

A knight getting beaten by an archer. Who'd ever thought of that.

Shows that buffed up muscles, strength, heavy weapons doesn't beat everything.

Rommel, Even with less troops and eqipment when the british were driving him from libya he still managed to turn and strike them.

In Normandy his divisions held out for a very long time before being broken, with no hope of reinforcements, his leadership caried them through.

Napoloen was also bad ass...anyone that can take the french and make them into a military superpower...crush the armies of several other nations, gets high marks in my book.

Still, if Ghenghis khan's horsemen fought melee to melee vs the European knights, Ghenghis khan would have been beaten. (European troops are mostly concentrated on full melee)

Second, Mongols aren't Turks.

They are ancient Chinese folk that still lives a nomadic life.

My top 5 is:

Rommel - Germany uber everything!

Caesar - If the Romans didn't conquer Europe... well you know what would have happened.

Atilla the hun - Kicked the ass of the Romans.

Ghenghis Khan - Stated above.

Zhukov - Hey, Russians are great warlords too.

"I know men and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man.

Between him and every other person in the world

there is no possible term of comparison.

Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I founded empires.

But on what did we rest the creations of our genius?

Upon force. Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love;

and at this hour millions of people would die for Him."

-Napoleon Bonaparte

so many are saying napoleon (hell I did)

but you don't realize that horatio nelson is the sole reason why napoleon's war with egypt an against britain failed,

rommel is a given, he's my favorite military commander of all time

Wasn't there a topic about this before?

Ah yes, here it is.

Napoleon,

Alexander the Great,

Julius Ceaser,

Hannibal,

Ghenghis Khan, because you convinced me,

Octavian,

Bismark,

Saladin.

Er... I guess I'm better at admiring manipulators rather than leaders.

Military leaders? Very good were Scipio, Epameinondas, Alexander of Macedonia, Caesar as well, maybe Belisaros, Umar and Svatopluk, from newer Fridrich II., Jan Sobieski, Albrecht von Wallenstein, Yamamoto and of course Zukov.

Alexander the Great - a personal favourate and his empire was probably the biggest formed in such a short time.

Patton

Rommel - I agree with whats already been said about him

Caeser

Napoleon - at the bottom because although he was a great leader he merely used tactics and ideas of others before him

-Yue Fei, a Chinese general of the Song Dynasty. Actually, most famous Chinese generals are cool. Generally because they studied maps before battling and always analysed the enemy's strengths and weaknesses and then prepared their troops for war. But unfortunately, their maps, tactics, spears and swords couldn't stand against the guns of the foreigners. :O

-General Yamashita, a Japanese general of the Japanese WW2 era. He swept through South-east asia in such a remarkably short time and was very creative and aggressive, thus his nickname "Tiger". :O

-Genghis Khan. He lead an army of horse-back archers and they conquered their way till Europe and Europe was only saved when he died and surprisingly, his army retreated. :D

-Erwin Rommel. Great german general famous in North Africa during WW2.

-Admiral Nimitz/General Macarthur. Two american military leaders who help beat the Japanese out of Asia and back to their island. "I will be back."

-Zhukov. He got the germans and actually engineered the defeat of the Nazis.

-Hermann Goering. The luftwaffe under him was superb! ;)

Not my opinion, but in the interest of getting a historical perspective in here, back in the olden days they always had "The three great strokes"  "The Three great ___" whatever as a poetic device to remember the great events and people of history.  When it came to the greatestwarlords/kings they had "nine worthy and the best that ever were":  Three pagan, three Jewish, and three christian.

The Pagan:

Hector of Troy

Alexander the Great

Julius Caesar

The Jews:

Duke Joshua

King David

Judas Maccabaeus

The Christian:

Arthur

Charlemagne

Godfrey of Bouillon

It was Hitler's fault that the Germans have lost.  ::)

He was so stubborn and overconfident about his own abilities that he threw a large German division in the hands of a inexperienced commander when the assault on Stalingrad began.

The Germans could have won the war, despite the problems that they encountered.

They would never had won the war unless either Russia or Britain joined their side/surrendered (second option basically impossible).

Because of Rommel the Germans were defeated in North Africa, and defeated by the better leader, Montgomery.  He was also supposed to organise the defence of Northern France...and look what happened their. 

Goering sat on his fat ass all day doing nothing.  The Luftwaffe had a massive air advantage but still couldn't beat the RAF.