What brought you in to Dune?

Dunenewt

Some idiot at skool told me about it, and how it (Dune 2000) came before command and conquer and stuff... a year later, he's lending me the game! ;D

I never had any interest Dune otherwise. I mean come on, its just star trek with sand... :O ;)

My parents were Dune fans when it was published in France. So we had first edition in french at home. When I was young I thought those books too boring (they were so heavy, they frightenned me!!). Then my old brother came one day with the first Dune (the Cryo game). It was the better videogame of the period. When I began to play, it was wonderful and I gegin to read the books and I saw what my parents were refering to.

• 3 weeks later...

Dune miniseries. I don't have nerves to read any book. And then the Chlidren of Dune. I have it on DivX and I watch the end of it every day. (he runs, runs, and runs. When he has exausted himself, he returns to me. Puts his head in my laap, and asks me to help him find a way to die... et cetera, et cetera...)

Hmm let's see.. I was 12 y  old and it was my birthsday and I wanted a cool stategy pc game. I used to play Red Alert before so when i saw Westwood's Dune2000 I grabbed it immediately. The game was ossom I liked alot even my dad played it. I completed the campaigns of the game for every house. Then after a while I saw a trailer of Emperor: Battle for Dune ( It came with Red Alert 2). Since I loved Dune 2000, I was also excited with it's atmosphere. The Houses, the worms, the spice. So I got Emperor and completed the game for Harkonnen. I was a kid back then and was fascinated by Harnonnen devastators and cool flame tanks, so i just loved the house it was like "Harkonnen are the best"  :D. That same summer (I started to play Emperor in summer :) ) I went to a holiday in Spain. I had alot of free time back there and I was just starting to like to read things, I didn't read much before, do be more exact I had a single english book on my read books account. So I decided to get myself a book. When I went to the local book store i saw a book "Dune : House Harkonnen" and I was like 'Cool a book about Harkonnen  ;D " When I started to read it I had a bad feeling that I wasted my money. Luckily I was very impressed with this book, even though it was my second english book that I have ever read , I finished it in a few days!. Then, just before departure, i ran to the same book store and found Dune: House Atreides. I came back to Lithuania , read House Atreides and eventualy found fed2k on the net. After some forum reading I became a Dune fan. I asked my grandmother to send me all the FH Dune books for Xmas. Later I ordered House Corrino and BJ in Germany. So now I have a whole library of Dune books, full house collection Ofcourase I've read them all) and I'm glad to be a Dune fan, cause it's great!

I played Dune 2000, got online, searched for some info. I found a piece of the first words of Dune.

"To begin your study of the life of Muad'Dib, then, take care that you first place him in his time: born in the 57th year of the Padishah Emperor, Shaddam IV. And take the most special care that you locate Muad'Dib in his place: the planet Arrakis. Do not be deceived by the fact that he was born on Caladan and lived his first fifteen years there. Arrakis, the planet known as Dune, is forever his place."

I copy/pasted that to a friend of mine on MSN.

Me: "Uhuh, sure."

He: "Yep. Take note before you read on in Dune."

Me: "What?! You know this?"

He: "Do I know this? It's just about one of the best SF stories there are! I'm a big fan of Dune, man!"

At first I was hesitating to read it, especially because of the size of the book. But he convinced me to start reading, and since then I got the Dune-virus. He's good at choosing me good stuff. He talked me into using Mozilla Firefox too. Hehehe.

My friend Paul (ironically -- no joke, it's true) showed me the book Dune. Which I read and enjoyed, and subsequently read the entire series afterwards.

Your friend must have liked it because he is the hero, nah?

Anyway whoever would finish reading the first book would want to continue reading sequels and prequels to it, no one can help it dude it just gets you addicted.

But the games of the Dune are the best.

• 1 month later...

After reading all the posts in this thread, I feel like an old man.  I saw the movie in the theater in 84; I was thirteen.  Then I was excited to read the book.  It was too much and I stopped after 80 or so pages.  I tried again six months later, and failed.  A few months after that, I finally made it to the dinner party - that's when the book took off for me, and I devoured it.  Since then, I've read the whole series 10 or so times, and Dune itself so many times that I've lost count.  I'll often pick it up and just read a favorite chapter.  I'm on my second copy of the book, since the first fell apart.

After reading Dune, I grew to hate the movie.  Weirding modules?  Give me a break.  I tried the mini-series, but turned it off after an hour.  Now, B. Herbert is trashing Dune.  Of all the people to co-write with, why did he choose the author of a series of rubbish X-Wing novels?

Oh well.  Dune is my favorite book in the whole world, so I'll just keep on reading it.

After reading all the posts in this thread, I feel like an old man.  I saw the movie in the theater in 84; I was thirteen.  Then I was excited to read the book.  It was too much and I stopped after 80 or so pages.  I tried again six months later, and failed.  A few months after that, I finally made it to the dinner party - that's when the book took off for me, and I devoured it.  Since then, I've read the whole series 10 or so times, and Dune itself so many times that I've lost count.  I'll often pick it up and just read a favorite chapter.  I'm on my second copy of the book, since the first fell apart.

After reading Dune, I grew to hate the movie.  Weirding modules?  Give me a break.  I tried the mini-series, but turned it off after an hour.  Now, B. Herbert is trashing Dune.  Of all the people to co-write with, why did he choose the author of a series of rubbish X-Wing novels?

Oh well.  Dune is my favorite book in the whole world, so I'll just keep on reading it.

Yes story changing was on of the reasons I did not like the movie that much, the series was more accurate thought.

Brian Herbert is not doing that bad job at all. He did very well by keeping the fact as it was mentioned on his father's books.

After reading all the posts in this thread, I feel like an old man.  I saw the movie in the theater in 84; I was thirteen.  Then I was excited to read the book. 

After reading Dune, I grew to hate the movie.  Weirding modules?  Give me a break.  I tried the mini-series, but turned it off after an hour. 

I was 15 when the movie came out in 84. At that point I had read everything Dune that had been published and probably had read the first book more than once. I remember having a fond dislike for the movie (my feelings were stronger than that, but I prefer "fond dislike" now.) Well, after two decades, and almost as much time in the entertainment business (live theatre) I gave it a fresh look. You know, the Lynch movie wasn't all that bad. And Frank Herbert fully supported it and all of the changes at the time. When you really look at the movie for its merits and strengths, and realize that at the time it could have been the only chance ever, EVER, to get the book on screen, Lynch was surprisingly faithful to the essence of the book: the mood, the oppression, the something-unknown that the character of Paul is experiencing in transformation. Forget the weirding modules as being anachronistic. in a quote from my Amazon.com review of the dvd:

"The reason becomes irrelevant upon close inspection of the novels: the choice of a weapon that amplifies sound actually does fit into the Duniverse rather well, even if it is a major deviation from the actual book. In a world where laser contact with shields breeds subatomic fusion, and fast moving objects cannot penetrate a shield, perhaps the sound waves turned into a weapon might actually be effective."

And when played on a very large screen, compare the visuals of Lynch's with either SciFi series (especially the Children of Dune...computer graphics that look like cheap computer games with little stick figures walking erratically in the background) and there is simply no cinematic comparison.

• 2 months later...

I found Dune 2000 in a store for about $9-$10 or so, and I decided to buy it. The game, at first, didn't impress much, but the music did, and also the in-game movies. Later, I found the movie, and decided to buy it. Dune was somehow special (the movie), it was like, strange but at the same time oddly funny. Not only that, most sci-fi works always happen in the "near future", like in 2100 to 2300 or so, but Dune in 10,000. I decided to give it a try, and then I bought all the books.

Even after that, Dune Galaxies (or whatever it was called), the online game, sounded really cool, so I started to hang out on that site, until the liquidation of the company. After that, I found this site and have been here ever since.

Age of Empires actually which I found the most fascinating gaming experience I had till that moment. Seeking a similar game I played Dune 2000 which was followed by the Emperor's sneak peak in Red Alert 2. Then in Emperor's reviews I learnt that is was based on a novel, I grabbed and read House Harkonnen thinking it was that book, then I read Dune and the rest followed pretty quickly. Though I consider the prequels inferior to the original Dune series, hadn't I read House Harkonnen a lot of things in Emperor wouldn't make sense to me, like the Tleilaxu and the Ixians who aren't mentioned in Dune.

Emperor:Battle for Dune. Although I had played Dune II on Amiga, I did not have the Internet then, so could not discover the rest of the "Duneiverse". Have now made my way through the first 4 books, and hope to takcle the rest soon enough.

Age of Empires actually which I found the most fascinating gaming experience I had till that moment. Seeking a similar game I played Dune 2000 which was followed by the Emperor's sneak peak in Red Alert 2. Then in Emperor's reviews I learnt that is was based on a novel, I grabbed and read House Harkonnen thinking it was that book, then I read Dune and the rest followed pretty quickly. Though I consider the prequels inferior to the original Dune series, hadn't I read House Harkonnen a lot of things in Emperor wouldn't make sense to me, like the Tleilaxu and the Ixians who aren't mentioned in Dune.

Now wait, I'm positive House IX was mentioned in the original Dune!