why oh why

edsbrick

when i play multi player,i get over run before ive had time to build any defence.this happens time & time again.i read the threads on building orders.

thought it might help me last for ten mins instead of five .....but no.

what am i missing?

ed

First thing is, that you will lose your first several games, no matter how good you thought you had prepared yourself. But after several games you begin to discover what other players build, and the key is to fake that strategy of theirs. Try to send out Scouts asap so that you can see what the other playes does. Or look at your (experienced) ally if you have one.

When you starting to have everything under control a little, you can develop your own strategies.

But here are a few hints what to do at the start of the game.

- Build in the beginning non-stop light units, they are with many, and they are fast build, with this you can counter the early rushes, and maybe rush the enemy yourself.

- It depends on your strategy what to build first, a Barracks or a Factory, as long as you have plenty of money, you shouldn't build the Refinery, because that needs valuable time

- It might be a good idea to build 1 or a few turrets in your base, even though they are not so good in general, they do very well against light units.

- Scout the enemy, so you can see what he/she will strike with. This way you have some time to prepare for it.

its wierd for me because my wife and i play each other over lan and some of our battles have lasted five or six hours,yet the emphasis is on speed online.

hard to get used to,especially when the opponents are so ruthless.

ed

ed you are gonna take a long time

It depends on your strategy what to build first, a Barracks or a Factory, as long as you have plenty of money, you shouldn't build the Refinery, because that needs valuable time

If you don't build a refinery you'll run out of cash,Spice rules the game,if you can slow or stop an opponents spice,then He's dead,

Most players don't want long strategic games it seems,just rushes and kill as fast as possible.

That is the biggest drawback to a game that could otherwise be a true strategy game.IMHO.

If you don't build a refinery you'll run out of cash,Spice rules the game,if you can slow or stop an opponents spice,then He's dead,

Most players don't want long strategic games it seems,just rushes and kill as fast as possible.

That is the biggest drawback to a game that could otherwise be a true strategy game.IMHO.

hold on there a sec atomic..... yes it is true that this game is centered around rushes.... because who wouldnt want to win at any cost???....... BUT... what RTS doesnt have rushes??..... but thats besides the point....

This is how i c a rush: if a player cant survive the first few minutes then its not worth to play a long game with him, there are exception, there are a few cheap rushes wich doesnt requires mad skills(engy dropping) and sometimes ppl just dont have there day.

well i play atreides most of the time and the way i fight off rushes is with a bunch of infantry and snipers supported by as many sand bikes as i can make b4 they rush...

after that i continue to build up money and start building mass minos and drones...

every once in a while though...i'll go up against somebody who rushes way too fast for me and i don't have enough time to make enough sand bikes...and then i either get gassed to death or dust scouted to death or flamed and shot to death...lol :D

well i play atreides most of the time and the way i fight off rushes is with a bunch of infantry and snipers supported by as many sand bikes as i can make b4 they rush...

after that i continue to build up money and start building mass minos and drones...

every once in a while though...i'll go up against somebody who rushes way too fast for me and i don't have enough time to make enough sand bikes...and then i either get gassed to death or dust scouted to death or flamed and shot to death...lol :D

Try using a Turret Kyle.

ed, i can try helping u if u wish. let me know when u can play.

i will i will

i love this game,but get frustrated,i believe if i could thwart a rush i wwould be a good opponent.or i could be over confident.cos i dont quite understand waypoints or drones, yet,  the faq's tell me what i know but dont give me experience..damn.

ed

• 4 weeks later...

when i play multi player,i get over run before ive had time to build any defence.this happens time & time again.i read the threads on building orders.

thought it might help me last for ten mins instead of five .....but no.

what am i missing?

ed

you are missing the FACT that Westwood put an Official Rule into Emperor that states: any party can quit the game before 3 minutes of time has elapsed and if so, the game is not valid - it does not even qualify as having been a "game"

Emperor is balanced in such a way that anything done before the 3 minute mark oftentimes has NO counter due to the fact that the units are balanced for mid-late game and not for "games" lasting under 3 minutes

you are missing the FACT that Westwood put an Official Rule into Emperor that states: any party can quit the game before 3 minutes of time has elapsed and if so, the game is not valid - it does not even qualify as having been a "game"

Emperor is balanced in such a way that anything done before the 3 minute mark oftentimes has NO counter due to the fact that the units are balanced for mid-late game and not for "games" lasting under 3 minutes

man u starting this shit again? >:(

K, New players DONT listen to Navaros, this rule was made so you can quit wenn it lags in the first 3 minutes, people who cannot survive the first 3 minutes use this rule as an excuse(Navaros), my advice is dont quit before 3 minutes unless it lags, if you do you will be known as a quiter and be hated by almost every Emp player(like Navaros is "hated"), just try to counter a rush with a rush or turrets, u will learn if u practise enough.

sorry Warkskum but you're wrong.  the rule was made for Emperor balance and the producer of Emp has even said so on this site. i have posted his exact quote before as proof.  you have NO BASIS for saying the rule was only created for lag.  you are just making that up off the top of your head. 

and FYI i'm only hated by those who can't compete with me under the OFFICIAL Westwood Rules