Oldies

DukeLeto

Does anyone else here play a lot of the older games? EG Doom, Wolf3d, Dark Forces, etc? I've got to say these games have some of the best production values ever.

Two of my favorites are Blood and Dark Forces*. (The former you can find at the Underdogs (legally, as Monolith went under), the latter you can still buy from LucasArts).

Blood is a great game, although a bit of a pain to get to run on XP. (There's a tutorial on getting Blood, Duke3d, and other BUILD engine games to run flawlessly on XP here. As a side note, try all of your old games on VDMSound...it can fix a lot of problems, not only sound related but input and graphical as well.) But once it's running, it is so worth it. The plot is terrific (ressurected gunslinger-turned-devil worshipper goes after evil cult with pitchfork and flare gun...timeless. ;)), the graphics are superb (for their time, at least), and it cetainly provides quite a challenge. The weapon selection is really cool, ranging from Flare Guns and pitchforks to Sawed-offs and Napalm launchers to TNT and Voodoo dolls. A great game, worth all the trouble and time. :)

And then there's Dark Forces, by LucasArts. Its praise is similar to Blood's (although the games are polar opposites in plot and premise), except it's easy to run on XP (Just choose "SoundBlaster" with all defaults for sound; music will take some tweaking, but will work fine too. Be sure to use VDMSound.) There is the curious lack of a save game feature, but aside from that, not much more could be asked. :)

I also have Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfentein 3D, Dune 2, Command and Conquer*, and WarCraft I.

So, any other old favorites, fond memories, etc? :)

(*=indicates that I actually bought this game, not abandaonware.)

Betrayal at Krondor....(I sound like a broken record)

the many hours I played it, then stopped playing it for 4 months, then finally started over and finished it, after finding a walkthrough to get past a certain part.

and well there are the obvious classics, Red alert, warcraft, dune 2 blah blah blah.

Lords 2

carmegaddon

civ 2

starcraft..not old though.

colonization

balagdjkfdfk :)

there are many topics about this.

Well, Dune II is still my favorite. But it takes hard nerves to start it. Fortunately, on my P120 notebook with Windows 95 it works perfectly, with adlib music and sfx as well. Also One Must Fall runs good, just I have to restart to DOS. But I'm sick of most other games; all that searching for right IRQ and DMA is killing me...

Super: Odds are, if it's on HotU, it's not illegal. The owner is very careful about that.

And Thane: HotU just got a new download formate, so give it another try. As long as you download one file at a time, and don't use certain download managers (things like DAP will segment files). Read their FAQ for more details.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not accidental, per se. The thing is that if a file is up on HOTU, then it is not available to be bought on any major online stores, and cannot be found in the average computer store (bargain bins are far too random). Also, neither Looking Glass (well, it's remnants) nor EA have said anything about it.

If a new source for the game is found, or if EA ever asks the powers that be to take it down, the download will be taken down without argument, replaced with a "buy link" referring to the online store where it can be purchased.

Case in point: Harlan Ellison's amazing game I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (Based on his similarly amazing short story of the same name) originally had a download available. However, it was discovered that the game could still be bought from Mr. Ellison's online store. As you can see, the "download" now directs you to said online store.

TTLG Forum Admin

System Shock 2 is NOT Abandonware.

Even if SS2 were abandonware, "ABANDONWARE" IS ILLEGAL TO DISTRIBUTE.

Bottom line, end of story.

Copyrights are not considered abandoned even if they are no longer enforced, so the software does not enter the public domain just because they are no longer commercially exploited or widely available.

For the record, Jeff Brown (Executive President, Corporate Communications at EA) says:

"We pride ourselves in aggressively protecting our intellectual property rights, and we frequently pursue those who try to distribute our games without permission."

There are no titles in the Electronic Arts library that they consider to be abandonware.

Official word from Irrational: "No, System Shock 2 is not abandonware, please don't warez it"

Consider this the final word from TTLG on the subject of System Shock 2's status. Unless we hear otherwise directly from EA and Irrational, all instances involving the sharing of SS2 will be considered piracy

Commander Keen!

yay! best platform ever! no not really.

still, if i hadnt walking into my mum's office when i was 4 and saw her playing commander keen episode 1, i would not have found computer games. aaaah the memories!

good old games i like? i quite like the older c&cs cos they were tough<er than the newer ones>. love playing doom and wolf3d, does anyone know where to find the non-shareware episodes of wolf and doom? shouldnt be asking that really.

does ebay not prove useful for finding old games? cos my friends seem to find mega drive games on ebay frequently.