Emperor vs. Generals

Emperor is a million times better.

Generals is a WarCraft 3-Wanna-Be! LOL

EA abandoned the perfect interface of Westwood RTS games in favor of the clunky, idiotic, clumsy, awkward, frustrating, asinine Blizzard-type interface. This alone puts Generals a million light years behind Emperor and makes Generals ZERO fun to play.

But unfortunately for EA, the horrible interface is where Generals' similarities to Blizzard games ends. Blizzard at least has a wonderful, stable, lag-free online gaming venue, namely BNET. Generals, on the other hands, uses "GameSpy". To even sign-up to play on GameSpy you must consent to have your personal information disclosed to all manner of immoral junk email/spam/telemarketing scam "companies". Note: for proof of this, see the below Appendix A, a personal favorite of mine:

Appendix A: Excerpts from GameSpy's "Privacy" Policy:

GameSpy collects personally identifying information.

Other companies which provide services on our site, or which advertise on our site, may collect information about you. GameSpy does not control collection or use of this information. You should contact these companies or advertisers directly if you have any questions about their use of this information.

You may occasionally get cookies from our advertisers. GameSpy does not control these cookies, and these cookies are not subject to the GameSpy cookies policy. The use of advertising cookies sent by third-party servers is standard in the Internet industry.

GameSpy may retain personally identifying information indefinitely.

At times GameSpy may maintain publicly available user profiles as well, which may contain personally identifying information

...also note that these exerpts are just from one version of GameSpy's "Privacy" Policy. There are actually many different versions, some of which contain all of the above in addition to even more terrifying conditions which you are forced to agree to if you want to play.

GameSpy is the buggiest, most unstable gaming venue in the history of online gaming; plus it lags by default. Far worse than Emperor on WOL even (which still is no comparison to BNET).

I can't speak much more to a direct comparison of the two games since I boycott EA and hence will never touch Generals, but I also hear that Generals has way more bugs than Emperor (if you can believe that! ::)), many of which cause you to lose any units that you are not watching 100% of the time because if you don't babysit every unit at all times, many of them will not even bother to fire back at all as the enemy kills them! LOL

Conclusion: Emperor is a million times better than Generals in every single way.

GameSpy is the buggiest, most unstable gaming venue in the history of online gaming; plus it lags by default

Arohk, gamespy arcade sets up a game, the amount of lag depend on the person's settings, connection etc.

[quote author=ken124578 link=board=7;threadid=10287;start=0#msg167408

gamespy arcade sets up a game, the amount of lag depend on the person's settings, connection etc.

bollocks! this is a common myth perpetuated by the "Propaganda Machine" of entitities like GameSpy and WOL. you are playing Generals over the GameSpy Network and that is a huge factor in dictating that you will be experiencing mad lag by default just as Emperor lags by default as a result of it is played over the WOL Network. It may be peer to peer, but that does not diminish the fact that playing over a buggy, laggy Network like WOL or GameSpy will cause tons of lag in every game. don't believe the hype of these silly "Propaganda Machines" and if you want proof then go play War3 on BNET and notice how almost *every* game you ever play-in will be smooth and lag-free, then compare it with a typical game on WOL or GameSpy and you will be sure to see the Light

bollocks! this is a common myth perpetuated by the "Propaganda Machine" of entitities like GameSpy and WOL. you are playing Generals over the GameSpy Network and that is a huge factor in dictating that you will be experiencing mad lag by default just as Emperor lags by default as a result of it is played over the WOL Network. It may be peer to peer, but that does not diminish the fact that playing over a buggy, laggy Network like WOL or GameSpy will cause tons of lag in every game. don't believe the hype of these silly "Propaganda Machines" and if you want proof then go play War3 on BNET and notice how almost *every* game you ever play-in will be smooth and lag-free, then compare it with a typical game on WOL or GameSpy and you will be sure to see the Light

It's not a "myth", it's a fact. You can take it wuth Nyar if you don'ty believe us.

And StarCraft lags like a b*tch almost constanly, whereas Emp and Generals rarely lag. Yet you don't see me dissing B.Net. ::) (Well, OK, granted, StarCraft has some crappy netcode, but that's StarCraft, not B.Net)

Anyways, I like Generals better for the most part. *Ducks from flames* But Generals has better graphics, more people online, and, IMO, better gameplay. But I do indeed like Emperor as well, they'd both be on my "top ten games" list. :) I frankly don't see why it has to be turned into a contest... ???

Yeah well you'll see me on Generals now....

I love Emperor, a million times more then Generals even but it gets old, same players, same moves, same lobby and you know when you win most of your games and bitch slap Navaros in 30 seconds (Yes we had the challenge macth a few days ago) then it gets old..

Vilgent beating Nav.... that remains to be seen, nor has it ever happened. and i truly don't want to take this thread offtopic so could the first Mod who sees this please edit Vilgent's post and then delete this post of mine

Oh I do remember something around..

"Fucking newb ass rusher, can't play besides rushing. I was tuaght by Thoxen and he never rushed and still won" blah de blah blah.

And for your info, my post was relevent, yours is the one that went off topic, I was just supporting what I stated.

oh my, why do i feel like Al Pacino in "Carlito's Way"? ;D

here is a more accurate reflection of events:

Vilgent: ALL the best elite players rush! are you saying those rushers suck?

Navaros: i was trained by Thoxen, one of the very best Emperor players ever, and he never ever ever rushed unless he was attacked first. He always let his opponent build whatever he wanted to and make the first move. NO, all elite players do NOT rush. LOL In fact, most players who insist on rushing no matter what do so because they have no real skill in Emperor and can only win by abusing the fundamental early game imbalances of starting units.

Vilgent: whatever, you suck {guess Vilgent had no intelligent response to the superior logic of the great Nav}

I think that comparing the 2 is hard. Emp has been out for 2 years now and Generals is what 3 months old. There are a lot of bugs that still need to be worked out but they are working on it. Most bugs have been worked out on Emp altough there are some that still exist. I would think that it would only be right to give generals a base of a year before a one on one comparison can be made.

As refered by Arohk about the gamespy accounts, I for one have not recieved any extra spam or pop-ups than usual And I don't get many. You can control some of those things if you uncheck certain boxes when filling out an account. You just have to read it all before just clicking next. If you don't, well, that is your own fault.

By the way congrat on your victory Vilgent. I guess if you beat him in 30 secs though he'll invoke the 3 min rule. Did anybody here see that coming?

Well, as much as I hate to say it, Nav, errr, Arohk has some good points. The Generals interface sucks compared to Emperor's interface. Also, Generals lags like an old, worn-out bitch even when all players have good connections. I have a good Alienware system, but even when I play quickmatch with my maximum allowable opponent ping of 100, Generals is generally just a slow-ass game. When it takes all day for "fast" units like humvees to cross the map, you're dealing with a slow RTS game. Ordos lasertanks get across the map faster than planes in Generals. The Generals maximum frame rate has been permanently fixed, and there ain't nothing you can do about it. Generals is just a lot slower game than Emperor. That's not necessarily bad, though--there is a bit more time to survey the enemy force before it arrives . . . of course, there is also more delay for your units to meet the enemy, so WTF am I saying?

I think--and this is just my own opinion based on experience--that Gamespy totally sucks, and it just about killed me to discover that Generals, a game I touted on the Emperor boards as being the next great RTS, would be played via Gamespy. Gamespy, IMHO, is the absolute worst choice EA could have made for the Generals server.

Oh, before I go, I just have to ask a question: Nav, why would you advocate Thoxen's strategy when you have constantly criticized Emprworm's strat site as being full of nothing but useless strategies? Thoxen's strategy is one of the premier strats on that site. You are certainly full of contradictions, Nav.

C&C Generals has no storyline, only, "Destroy this and destroy that ... oh and destroy that too while You're at it".

There are no characters, there's no point and furthermore - it's just another one of those quickly made trendy WarCraft III - Reign of Chaos wannabes made by the power-hungry corporation.

The game has no soul. And a game without a soul doesn't interest me in the slightest bit.

Pretty graphics, eye-candy or whatever, but a game needs a good STORY.

And another thing C&C-G completely lacks of - STYLE.

There's not a single thread of style.

On the other hand - E-BFD has a decend storyline and I think it's safe to call the game on the whole an artistic success. I love the game menus in E-BFD, I love the in-game style, I like everything.

It's so childish that all the C&C-G fans tell that C&C-G is way better just because of the graphics. I tell You - graphics does not make a good game. Besides - the graphics in Generals are just to patch up all the other mistakes in it.

But the problem is, yeah - You can count the players on E-BFD WOL on one's hand. Oh well - big corporations and their thug eye-candy games always win...

I forgive EA, because it's just a gaming world and it's not like I sit in the corner and think of how much I hate them, I'm just frustrated of all the havoc those big gaming corporations are causing.

When I played China's first mission in C&C-G, it almost looked as if I was playing SimCity 3000 with tanks. That's poor, EA. Very poor.

I just hope You don't mess up Tiberian Twilight, because if You do that then it's official - WESTWOOD'S LEGACY IS DEAD.

How can I call this even legacy? ... Tiberian games are the heart of C&C and if they die, everything else dies besides hundreds of whiners playing online.

Rant over.

- Matthew

It doesnt matter how long u have to wait to meet the enemy on gen EMP is better with the story line and with the great units houses and the players of EMP give the game the thrill of killing others.

Players are why EMP is better the players make the game not the Corporations so players get online and make EMP alive again.

And firesnake is totally correct about EMPEROR and Generals

Well, what you have now on the Emperor boards is a lot of die-hard fans who are still around (I'm one of them, even though I play mostly Generals now), as well as a few noobs who don't remember the great anticipation we all had before the game came out, the thrill we felt when we saw Emperor's awesome 3D graphics for the first time, and our positive expectations that such a great game would be supported and even expanded. The "Emperor rules" attitude you get on the boards comes from all of us oldbies who know that, TWO YEARS after its release, Emperor is still the best RTS game ever made. There is quite a bit of nostalgia on these boards. Geez, I think I'll just start singing now . . . Memories, from the corners of my mind . . . misty water-colored memories . . . of the way we were . . . LOL.

I forgive EA, because it's just a gaming world and it's not like I sit in the corner and think of how much I hate them,

why would you forgive EA? do you think they care about you? they don't care about you, your family, your dog & cat, or if you live or die before next week comes. they are an evil Corporation who's attitude is "rush as many unfinished, half-baked Products out the door as possible, then forever-abandon them 3 months after the Retail date --- that is the road to Profitablity and screw the notion of "Customer Service" and keeping our Customers happy, there are millions of idiots out there who will *still* buy every piece of crap we send down the pipeline despite the fact that we treat them like beetle dung, so don't even waste time thinkng about upset customers. they are irrelevant, money is King!"

they are not worthy of your forgiveness. everyone should boycott EA