Fav type of game,...rpg...

XxxbillabongxxX

RTS, Controlling 1000 troops at a time is sooo cool.

See, you can't do that in Blizz games... :'(

:) you won't find that in any westwood game either. Often when i've finished a skirmish in Generals for instance, i did not build more than 120 units, and the computer did not get more than 200, while in Starcraft for instance, i somtimes have produced 300 (when playin zerg usually) and killed like 2400

:) you won't find that in any westwood game either. Often when i've finished a skirmish in Generals for instance, i did not build more than 120 units, and the computer did not get more than 200, while in Starcraft for instance, i somtimes have produced 300 (when playin zerg usually) and killed like 2400

lol, how many people build 2400 units in SC? :O

Anyways, the point is you could build 1000 units in Generals, wheras in WC3, you cap out about 45. :P

[rantmode]But that's Ok, because you can't control more than 12 at a time anyways! D*mn Blizzard bastards! The group cap is the absolute stupidest idea since...[/rantmode]

Err, sorry.

Anyways, the point is you could build 1000 units in Generals, wheras in WC3, you cap out about 45. :P

[rantmode]But that's Ok, because you can't control more than 12 at a time anyways! D*mn Blizzard bastards! The group cap is the absolute stupidest idea since...[/rantmode]

Err, sorry.

Hey, in Earth2150 you could build an unlimited number of production centres, put them on continous production and then send to clash with the other guys units. Controlling more then 40 heavy tanks is a common sight in late game.

Mine are

Adventure (The Legacy of Kain Series for example)

RPG (Neverwinter Nights for example)

RTS (EBFD, WCIII-RoC and C&C-G for example)

No FPS for me. I don't seem to find any sort of fun out of them.

Beat-em-ups are cool only with friends.

Adventure, RPG and RTS all the way for me. :)

- Matthew

Err, sorry.

Hey, in Earth2150 you could build an unlimited number of production centres, put them on continous production and then send to clash with the other guys units. Controlling more then 40 heavy tanks is a common sight in late game.

well, 40 ain't that much, ofcourse they are all 3d units.

• 2 weeks later...

Err, sorry.

The unit cap in Blizzard's games is a good thing, actually.

It makes the game extra strategically because you have to consider what you build all the time to optimize your army instead of just amassing units...

Guys when I talked about 100 units I was refering neither to Westwood nor Blizzard games, I was actually talking about the Total War series, it is the best strategy games ever.

I know, however, you have to make a choice... either a LOT of soldiers and low detail, or a max of 200 units and high detail. Rome: Total War will be the first in the total war series that will feature detailed units.

I know it looks so good, but we will have to wait till christmas to get it :'(. I hate games, of all types, that put so much detail into everything that it takes some kind of super comp just to run it, badly.

Err, sorry.

It makes the game extra strategically because you have to consider what you build all the time to optimize your army instead of just amassing units...

actually the unit cap and most esp. the "group cap" in War3 turn War3 into what could have been a somewhat strategic game into a mind-numbing, frustrating babyish game of almost zero strat which is akin to a digital version of "Tiddley-winks".

it means the mass you already have needs to *happen* to be the right thing to counter the enemy the first time you happen to cross the enemy path, or you lose. one small lil battle involving zero Micro determines who wins in War3. ::) not like in Emperor where if you lose a few small battles on the map, the War may still be far from over because you might still be able to build up and counter accordingly.

one of the BEST things about Emperor is that there is no unit cap and the group cap is high enough that it never becomes an issue (tho i don't know why there even is a group cap in Emp cuz there shouldn't be -group caps are probably the single most strat and hence game-ruining thing in any RTS game)

Err, sorry.

actually the unit cap and most esp. the "group cap" in War3 turn War3 into what could have been a somewhat strategic game into a mind-numbing, frustrating babyish game of almost zero strat which is akin to a digital version of "Tiddley-winks".

it means the mass you already have needs to *happen* to be the right thing to counter the enemy the first time you happen to cross the enemy path, or you lose. one small lil battle involving zero Micro determines who wins in War3. ::) not like in Emperor where if you lose a few small battles on the map, the War may still be far from over because you might still be able to build up and counter accordingly.

one of the BEST things about Emperor is that there is no unit cap and the group cap is high enough that it never becomes an issue (tho i don't know why there even is a group cap in Emp cuz there shouldn't be -group caps are probably the single most strat and hence game-ruining thing in any RTS game)

*Sigh*

First of all, please add "This is only my opinion, though" to the end of your reply.

It's a fact that the group cap makes the game more strategical because you have to think about what you produce.

It also makes the game better for those with worse hardware :)

You can get great battles in Warcraft III. Much, much greater in fact, because the unit cap allow better models and effects. The battles aren't done fast because although you don't have hundreds of units, the units you have are tougher than in Emperor. The loosing part might retreat from the battle without loosing much at that, something you never see in Emperor. :)

I don't even know why I argue with you. My opinion is clearly stated, and so is yours. We will never agree on this anyway.

*You can get great battles in Warcraft III. Much, much greater in fact, because the unit cap allow better models and effects. The battles aren't done fast because although you don't have hundreds of units, the units you have are tougher than in Emperor. The loosing part might retreat from the battle without loosing much at that, something you never see in Emperor. :)

greater effects? despite the ludicrous group and unit caps in War3, the battles still almost always devolve into a jumbled mess of indistinguishable pixels --- most of the time which results in you NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE YOUR OWN CURSOR FFS!!!!????!!!!! - or UNITS, for that matter... --- which of course means any form of Micro is impossible so you just have to stand by and idly watch while the jumbled mess indistinguishable pixels resolves itself and the computer automatically declares the winner after all those automatic calculations are processed.

if this is the price of "great effects, then i'm *GLAD* Emp doesn't have them. with Emp, i always always always have a clear view of the gameplay and can Micro whatever I want because i never lose view of the units I am looking at or my cursor.

btw retreating in War3 doesn't help at all because by the time you take your army out again your enemy already has a lvl 6 Hero and lvl 4 Hero which of course results in your guranteed death next time he happens to hunt you down. "retreating" is a moot point.

about you saying War3 Units are tougher than Emp units: I beg to differ. if you or anyone makes a Mod that allows me to play my Emp army against any War3 army (any race, any units...any player) i gurantee that my Emp army would utterly annihiliate the War3 army ;D

greater effects? despite the ludicrous group and unit caps in War3, the battles still almost always devolve into a jumbled mess of indistinguishable pixels --- most of the time which results in you NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE YOUR OWN CURSOR FFS!!!!????!!!!! - or UNITS, for that matter... --- which of course means any form of Micro is impossible so you just have to stand by and idly watch while the jumbled mess indistinguishable pixels resolves itself and the computer automatically declares the winner after all those automatic calculations are processed.

if this is the price of "great effects, then i'm *GLAD* Emp doesn't have them. with Emp, i always always always have a clear view of the gameplay and can Micro whatever I want because i never lose view of the units I am looking at or my cursor.

For you, it might be like this. I can perfectly watch the battle without loosing any control of my units. The units in Warcraft 3 tend to run unto eachother so you can't basically see which unit's are controlled by whom, but there are colors that distinguish them.

I always know where my mouse is, and it is often hovering above the lower panel with the pictures of everyone in my selected group. (You Emperor fan might not be aware of this, but you can actually watch each of your selected creatures on the lower GUI bar)

btw retreating in War3 doesn't help at all because by the time you take your army out again your enemy already has a lvl 6 Hero and lvl 4 Hero which of course results in your guranteed death next time he happens to hunt you down. "retreating" is a moot point.

Retreating has never been very positive for the outcome of your experience, but atleast, you can save some of your creatures' lives. (Thus making sure the enemy hero don't get all the experience he wish he would get)

about you saying War3 Units are tougher than Emp units: I beg to differ. if you or anyone makes a Mod that allows me to play my Emp army against any War3 army (any race, any units...any player) i gurantee that my Emp army would utterly annihiliate the War3 army ;D

*sigh*

I meant that each unit survives longer than in emperor...

In emperor, you tend to loose units fast, while in warcraft 3, you loose your creatures at a slower rate.

Well, I don't think the requirements are out yet, but I can list some requirements I can think of:

Reccomended(For acceptable gameplay):

ATI Radeon 9700 graphics card( or other cards that are made for directx 9. Counts all GEForce 4's out.)

AMD Athlon XP 1800+

512MBRam (any type)

I have Radeon 9700 and AMD XP2400+ with 512MBDDR RAM. The alpha leak runs fine on my computer.

It ran extremely choppy on my older AMD 1200MHz and 512MBSDRAM( even with the radeon in it)