Antiwar protesters trash 9/11 memorial

What I want to know is how the heck someone can see a memorial for an inhumane slaughter with Flags and other patriotic symbols and somehow connect it to being supportive of the Iraq war and therefore deserving vandalism and destruction? Good grief, this is disgusting! I mean I knew that burning the American flag was popular amongst the anti-war protesters, especially in europe, but a memorial? A MEMORIAL? What is WRONG with these people?

I couldn't have said it better myself. What makes it more sickening is that they're getting away with it because of wierd vandalism laws, something to do with whoever owned the fence near the memorial. I hope they decide to press charges.

It's simply a vicious cycle of violence. Country A commits atrocity against Country B. Country B gets pissed off. Country B commits atrocity against Country A. Perhaps this is what the protestors are trying to say? maybe their destruction of the display is their way of saying that just because the lives of innocent people in one country have been taken, that there is no need to take the lives of the innocent people in another country? I might have this all wrong, but perhaps that is a possibility?

what stupid ass anti-war treehugging fucking freshly excreted fece eaters donkey bangers

'Tree-hugging' in this scenario would be referring to people who are strong environmentalists, no? In that case, what do environmentalists have to do with this scenario? ::)

It's percieved that they trashed it because something next to/part of the memorial is in support of US soldiers. Still, it's the soldiers. It's not like they have a choice. I would think that, no matter what their opinion on the war, a citizen should want their soldiers to be safe. If you read the rest of the article it explains it a little better.

It's percieved that they trashed it because something next to/part of the memorial is in support of US soldiers. Still, it's the soldiers. It's not like they have a choice. I would think that, no matter what their opinion on the war, a citizen should want their soldiers to be safe. If you read the rest of the article it explains it a little better.

I read the article in its' entirety first time I looked at it. This is the part that I mainly based my judgement on, in my last post:

"Les Howard, a sociology professor at Whittier College, said the incident might be an indication of some confusion among people trying to stop a possible war against Iraq but uncertain how to express their sentiments".

Every time I begin to think humankind has a redeeming quality, something like this happens. Pathetic.

I couldn't agree more. :(

What I want to know is how the heck someone can see a memorial for an inhumane slaughter with Flags and other patriotic symbols and somehow connect it to being supportive of the Iraq war and therefore deserving vandalism and destruction? Good grief, this is disgusting! I mean I knew that burning the American flag was popular amongst the anti-war protesters, especially in europe, but a memorial? A MEMORIAL? What is WRONG with these people?

Veeery simple. They probably made the mental link war=USA and they saw a USA flag or something on it so they jumped on the memorial...

Egeides, they destroyed 87 flags and 11 memorial tiles. How could you not know? And flags are all over the US. You don't just stumble across a memorial and decide to decimate it rather than the zillion other flags in the US. It was definately planned. The vandals even knew the laws they were breaking so as to avoid arrest.

Heck... well I didn't knew about this... Well then I have to say I don't understand and still not approve. In my opinion, using violence to counter violence does nothing good. How could they be understood by people when they're insulting (or close) many of them?! :-

The vandals even knew the laws they were breaking so as to avoid arrest.

It was mentioned in the article that the vandals were not breaking any laws, only exercising the same rights of freedom of speech that the people that created the display used as well. Therefore, they were not breaking any laws.

Only until the person that owns the property on which the display was built on files a complaint, will action be able to be carried out. So much for the law there... ::)

I always found it ironic that one of the reasons some countries like Afghanistan hate the US is because of the US's higher standard of living. And then, once they launch a terrorist attack, the US gov't spends millions of dollars building a monument for it. :/

remember my thread "What are your secret hopes?" These are the kind of people that actually hope hundreds of thousands of US troops get slaughtered. they hope tons of IRaqi's die just so they can say "TOLD YOU SO!"

It was mentioned in the article that the vandals were not breaking any laws, only exercising the same rights of freedom of speech that the people that created the display used as well. Therefore, they were not breaking any laws.
In that case, I would like to exercise my freedom of speech by slicing and burning their faces. So it's not breaking the law unless the creator of their faces files a complaint. ;)

Vandalism is vandalism. If I leave my hat on a fence and it's stolen, it's still theft. If someone makes a memorial on a fence, destroying it is still vandalism.

Maybe they thought the memorial was a waste of money that should have been spent on the war effort...
I'm going to hope you're being sarcastic. If you're not, the memorial was built, maintained, and improved by citizens and not the government. If they are protesting THAT, then they are protesting the very freedom they used to cover their asses.

In that case, I would like to exercise my freedom of speech by slicing and burning their faces. So it's not breaking the law unless the creator of their faces files a complaint. ;)

::) Umm, ACE, wouldn't that action mean that the person is committing the crime of assault? :P Therefore, it would be breaking the law.

Vandalism is vandalism. If I leave my hat on a fence and it's stolen, it's still theft. If someone makes a memorial on a fence, destroying it is still vandalism.

I agree with you there, but according to the article, the vandalism was not punishable by law (until the owner of the property files a complaint). But then again, I didn't create the US laws... ::)