France's History of Military Failure

You know, Emprworm, if it weren't for Clovis and his French (well, Frankish) armies beating the Arabs at Poitiers, you would be bowing towards Mecca and praising Allah now...

Why? What does it matter WHO we had our revolution against? The end result would have been the same.

Well, when you have so many belligerent neighbours, what do you expect? Empr, you come from a country bordering with Canada, Mexico, and across the sea from Cuba. Whose militaries have never exactly been the sort of scale (time-relative) as Rome, the Prussian Empire, and Nazi Germany.

Surely the very fact that France still exists after all those wars proves her worth? She's still managed to resist being taken over (if not resisting invasion then go for the next best thing?) for centuries. Although to be fair the english did own half of France until the inept idiot John lost it and the obsessive Mary lost the last port.

Still, France is France. It could have been worse. She could have been absorbed into Germany during WWII, like Wales into England, Scotland into Britain, or Catalonia into Spain. But France survives.

And really, surviving is more important than winning.

Well, when you have so many belligerent neighbours, what do you expect? Empr, you come from a country bordering with Canada, Mexico, and across the sea from Cuba. Whose militaries have never exactly been the sort of scale (time-relative) as Rome, the Prussian Empire, and Nazi Germany.

the US has only been around a bit over 200 years. none of that changes the fact that France is the last country on earth that should be in the security council and to tell the world how to deal with a dictator.

You could do worse, but yeah it's pretty stupid they're on the security council.

"Well, when you have so many belligerent neighbours, what do you expect? Empr, you come from a country bordering with Canada, Mexico, and across the sea from Cuba. Whose militaries have never exactly been the sort of scale (time-relative) as Rome, the Prussian Empire, and Nazi Germany."

Actually the one war between Brit-Canada and the US was won definitavely by Canada. The war of 1812. It ended with the arson of the Whitehouse. The trouble is, knowing our incompetant government/military, we're probably still using the weapons we used to fight the war of 1812. Hehe...

And time relative, after WWII Canada was the third-greatest military power in the world.

Not anymore unfortuneately. After the Korean war, a series of incompetant Liberal governments decreased military spending by huge amounts, ran up huge debts and just about killed the economy that had our dollar sitting at $1.10 above the US dollar. Current rate is like $0.67 USD for a canadian dollar, and it doesn't show any signs of improving. Fortuneately, the countries will soon share a common currency! That's right, the Canadian dollar will soon become the US penny. Damn Liberal government...Economic morons...

Well, in France's defense, their culture has set the standard for such things as quality food, drink, and launguage.

The United States on the other hand, has degraded to the point of openly embracing the McDonald's philosophy of "Quantity over Quality."

As an American, I feel my countrymen have too low of standards for their products and should look to Europe for guidance on this.

There you go nit-picking people's posts again Edric. Try to look at the whole post for what it is instead of picking two words which you think will make your enemies look the worst.

Nobody is doubting their culture Corrino. I love french bread, fries, toast, etc. but they should never have been placed on the Security Council as a permanent member. Give them some frequency as temporary members, but really, there are a dozen nations who should be on there before France.

Nobody is doubting their culture Corrino. I love french bread, fries, toast, etc. but they should never have been placed on the Security Council as a permanent member. Give them some frequency as temporary members, but really, there are a dozen nations who should be on there before France.

that is the entire message of my post. France, of all nations on earth, should be the last one on the security council. It is a total mockery to have them on that council.

that is total crap, why should a war country be allowed to be in the council, and any other country not? If you put all those freaking war geeks in one room you get WW3 for sure! I'm glad that France is in it.

There you go nit-picking people's posts again Edric.

Funny, Emprworm does that all the time...

Try to look at the whole post for what it is instead of picking two words which you think will make your enemies look the worst.

The whole point is that France is supposedly a pathetic excuse for a country, and that the French people are cowardly idiots who can't fight.

THAT is the kind of hate speech I do not tolerate.

There is also the fact that Emprworm wants all non-US vassal countries off the Security Council...

Give them some frequency as temporary members, but really, there are a dozen nations who should be on there before France.

Such as?

Well they only went nuclear in the early 90s.

No, it has has had WMD since the 50's.

The joke that the Tanks have 5 gears, one for going forward, four for going back is really about the Italians.

I think the French are just going through a bad patch at the moment. They need another Charles de Gaulles (although he was WAY too anti-British/American infact he didnt really like anyone who wasnt French) To get them back to the status they deserve. They are the major power in Europe after the UK nad should act like it. The French public have realised this and that is why Le Pen did so well in the last election (although I don't agree with some of his policies). I would like to see France standing along side UK and USA in the war against Terrorism aas the French are generally for war which is illustrated by the fact that the demonstrations in France weren't as big as the other ones. I know this as I know quite a few French people and I am going on my second French exchange later this year.

So you're saying that a country which, in its long history, including its being the first properly representative republic and a well-fed and well-educated populace, but a history of suffering attacks from many sides should not be a member of a council deciding when the world's largest peacekeeping body should act merely because it has often been invaded? I fail to see the logic. Do enlighten me, if there is any.