God in Dune

Muad dib

Everyone I think already say the first Dune movie. When Paul is talking almost at the end of the movie, he states that:

God created Arrakis to train the faithfull and no one can go against the word of God.

Now, did he do that to make a revulation that one day we might find Arrakis and spice is the most valuable substance in the universe? Or, was it because he wanted everyone to know about God and what he can do? Post what you think.

yeah but we can answer the question first. Paul used the fremen religion in order to tame them for his purposes. Though he knew he was something more, he never really felt much for any higher power. He basically used the bene gesserit missionaria protectiva. hope that answers the question. :)

Remember that the Fremen are very religious. Fanatical, even. Also, remember that the harsh desert world (Arrakis, in case you're not following) forged the Fremen into a powerful force. Thus, God created Arrakis in order to have it create the Fremen.

"...one cannot go against the word of God" simply means that the Fremen were, in a sense, religiously obliged to become these zealots. Not only because God wanted them to do this, but because they would not survive Arrakis if they didn't.

God is never acknowledged to exist or not exist in the Duniverse. However, if you read tha ppendixes of Dune, there is talk of a possible "Higher Order" arranging things so that the Bene Gesserit do not control Paul.

So, to answer your question, only Frank Herbert knows if there is a God in the Duniverse, and wehther or not God really did create Arrakis to train the faithfull.

So, to answer your question, only Frank Herbert knows if there is a God in the Duniverse, and wehther or not God really did create Arrakis to train the faithfull.

So basically we'll never know, because Frank took that to his grave with him.

In Duniverse is some kind of bizzare ecumenical church with unstable believe, based on christianity, islam and some eastern thinkings. I would call it "Newer Age", what should accept God, altough His position isn't so strategical as in western theories.

Going back to the movie, I think really the only reason for Paul's final words were that shortly afterwards, it began to rain. I think the suggestion was that he had become god or at least god-like. I would like for there to be an arrakis maybe, but maybe not insomuch that the ONE most critical commoditiy in the whole universe comes from there. You never really hear about the ordinary people in Dune, cause the universe is so big. One day I intend to just find a desert somewhere on earth and just explore it.

Also, the higher order that is talked about for me meant paul actually being the higher order. remember the guild sensed a disturbance in space-time and it was because paul was redirecting time. Also it could have been leto the second, changing things in the future which altered the past for the golden path. that is just one idea I came up with when I read it. it could still just mean a higher order as well. Also Duke Leto II talked about a higher order in GEOD. He states that though he doesnt know who it is that it controls all things, or something of that nature. havent read it in two years.lol

I agree with you on your thoughts Vanguard3000, TMA-1 and Mahdi

[hide]Also just to add something about the rain at the ending of Lynch's movie Dune. There is a Hymn to Water from the Orange Catholic Bible Liturgical Manual that calls for rain. I think this was used also with the meaning that Paul would cleanse Arrakis[/hide]