Iraq Issues

If you don't want a war how do you deal with Saddam? One of his ministers just said the other day that Iraq would be against more inspectors which is the plan that France and Germany want.

I don't think anyone is always for war, well maybe a few extremists, but there comes a point when that is your only option.

you see, I think the UN goes way too far. I know the no fly zone is placed to protect his people, but he is the ruler of his own sovergn nation. What he does with his people is his own business. We are not there and we do not rule. We are not global policemen. good grief. All this propoganda and global union crap is starting to sound orwellian.

TMA: do you mean the US or the UN when you say 'we' aren't the policemen of the world?

I heard in the news that Germany may be willing to support a resolution, I just don't hope it has anything to do with mr. Rumsfelds threats, I fear him more than Bush because it seems as if he can think. That his ideas aren't appealing to me that's another thing.

I also saw on the News that the Arab countries wont allow strikes from bases in their countries.

I agree that we can't decide on how everyone should live, I really do. But I also agree that Saddam is dangerous but like the illustration posted by Earth says I think he's overrated there's people I fear more, and I also fear that the war will be great propaganda for Islamic fanatics. They don't see other motives than conquest, and hatred. And I believe they will respond with more terror.

I find it fascinating that of all the anti-war rallies, there were curiously no Iraqi's I could find that attended. Funny how a bunch of white caucasions like to tell Iraqi's how to live. now, what are the Iraqi's view regarding the war? Does it match the white Euro/American caucasion view? Hardly.

"I think the United States is now on the right track to get rid of Saddam Hussein and help the Iraqi people to bring democracy," said Jabir Algarawi, the director of the Arizona Refugee Community Center in Phoenix, and one of the 3,000 Iraqis who have settled in Phoenix since the Gulf War ended.

With a warm, dry climate that is similar to Iraq's, Phoenix has the second-largest number of Iraqi refugees in the nation. Detroit, with 12,000 refugees, is the largest Iraqi community. Overall, 37,714 people in the United States have identified themselves as Iraqi nationals or Iraqi-Americans, according to the 2000 Census.

Since many of these refugees ran away from the brutality of Saddam's regime, for them, there is no debate about whether the United States should go to war with Iraq. "

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/World/IraqiAmericans030212.html

it is quite amazing and fortunate indeed, that these 37,000 people had a place like America to seek refuge (not counting the tens of thousands who have sought refuge in other countries). Oh wait, I almost forgot, TMA called this place a #$$# hole. I guess those 37,000+ Iraqi's are worse off here....? :O

if TMA and gang have their anti-war wish, these people will never see their home again.

That is a shame, IMHO

Good point emprworm, I noticed that the BBC had something this weekend about a girl whose family used to live in Iraq who was getting a bunch of attention for a letter she wrote to her friends who were going to the anti-war rallies.

Here is the link to the report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2768747.stm

Here is another about Iraq exiles backing Blair:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2775981.stm

And lastly another about 'New Europe' striking back at Chirac's comments saying they shouldn't speak out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2775579.stm

What about the people who rebelled against Saddam Hussein? And American soldiers not giving them help? They were all killed...

For the information, I saw some Iraqis today on television who were against a war in Iraq

So don't make conclusion which are based on false facts

What about the people who rebelled against Saddam Hussein? And American soldiers not giving them help? They were all killed...

For the information, I saw some Iraqis today on television who were against a war in Iraq

So don't make conclusion which are based on false facts

i dont know about those. can you -please post some reference to those incidents? And who were these iraqis against removing HUssein? Again, please show some references as me and GOb have been giving references and not just speaking without support.

I'd honestly like to read about them.

If you only ask people who RAN AWAY from a country, OF COURSE they'll only have bad things to say about it... otherwise they wouldn't have ran away in the first place. ::)

Edit: Earthnuker, please also use this argument yourself, because Emprworm can't see my posts...

Obviously not every Iraqi exile is going to be for the war but it seems a large number of them do.

What about those people that died? Are you saying we shouldn't invade because we didn't help enough then?

exactly. and why did they flee their country? in the 21st century, no one should be fleeing their country in terror. That is unacceptable. These people did nothing wrong. We are talking upwards 100,000 people over the last 10 years. That is a LOT of refugees. and for everyone that gets out, many do not. Remove Hussein. Support the Iraqi people. ANything less is just pandering to France's wallets.

I saw those Iraqis on the Dutch television. It was on the first channel, around 18:15 GMT

And about that rebellion:

http://indymedia.ie/cgi-bin/newswire.cgi?id=29498&start=0

On top of that at the end of the Gulf War I, when Bush (on TV) encouraged the Iraqis

to rise up in rebellion, then when it looked like they were on the verge of ousting

Saddam, the US Admin suddenly gave permission for the Iraqi army to fly their

own (Iraqi) helicopters. Result: Rebellion quickly crushed. The folks in the army

and the intelligence service would have been acutely aware that this would be the

outcome. So why did they do it. To leave Saddam in place. Heck if democracy broke out

it could spread all over the Arab world, and then the people would demand a fair

price for their oil. The purpose now is to put in their own obedient dictator

-anything but liberation!

I'm surprised you missed that...

Hmmm, have more people put me on their ignore list that I don't know about? ;)

Let me say this again:

If you only ask people who RAN AWAY from a country, OF COURSE they'll only have bad things to say about it... otherwise they wouldn't have ran away in the first place.

I don't see why Emprworm mentions the "the white Euro/American caucasion view" when they weren't the only ones protesting. Just seemed stupid to me.

You probably do edric, a possible Fed2k triumvirate against you ;)

That doesn't necessarily make their views tainted, just more passionate. But anyways, what is this charade about "we got people supporting it" oh but "we got people not supporting it" oh but "my number is bigger" oh but "that's just the white Euro/American caucasion view" oh but blah blah blah. Who cares? We know people support it, and don't support it, nothing is achieved by going back and forth on support or lackthereof.

No I've heard about that. The US didn't give "permission" to Iraq at that point the war was over and their was a cease-fire in place. The UN created the no fly zone which didn't allow the use of airplanes but allowed helicopters, they didn't say "ok you're allowed to attack the rebels using helicopters".

The US didn't want to take out Saddam at the time because of the unstability it would cause in the region.