Emperor lockups caused by C&C Renegade

Procyon

I am thinking maybe the chipset drivers need to be updated or maybe a bios flash. What is the brand/model of the computer you are using? Maybe we can look at the chipset of the motherboard you are using to find out what the problem is.

I don`t know which is the model, but where can I know which is?

Anyone knows how to install the sound driver of Crystal CS4281 ?? I want to install it again.

http://www.cirrus.com/en/software/drivers/audio/PW5026.zip

I thought maybe on the outside of your computer case there might be a brand name or model. If you have no way of knowing the make and model you could download and install a program called Sandra from :

http://www.sisoftware.net/

That program can be used to identify the motherboard that you are using (which is what I really want to know).

Anyone knows how to install the sound driver of Crystal CS4281 ?? I want to install it again.

http://www.cirrus.com/en/software/drivers/audio/PW5026.zip

I looked at that zip file you posted. All you have to do is unzip that file to a directory on your computer and then go into Start -> Settings -> control panel -> System -> Device Manager Tab. Double click on "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" and then double click on your sound card. Select the "Driver" tab and click on the "Update Driver" button. Follow the setup wizard and when it asks for the file point to the place where you unzipped the file.

I could not find the model you specified for Gigabyte. They make several i440BX chipset motherboards, but none with an 8671. The model name should be something like this:

Gigabyte GA-6BX7 i440BX ATX Socket-370

So look for a GA-???? please.

You can go to this link :

http://www.giga-byte.com/support/support.htm

To see the chipsets for yourself if you want.

Procyon,

I had problems with the 41.09 drivers for my geforce card with DirectX 9 and I had to revert back to the 40.72 drivers. Do you have XP? I can't remember, but if you have XP you can go here to get the older drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_archive

If you have an OS other than XP let me know and I can provide another link or you can find it yourself by going to this link:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

I have Win 98 SE...

Anyone can explaim which is the real problem?

Is a compatibility problem or is something of my hardware??

BTW, the word size of all the signatures are very small, and I can`t read that. It`s a problem of my comp? (Please, not another problem!! :-)

I tried to follow number6 advise, but where can I get the info he needs?

Who has or had this problem??

Have you helped other people with a similar problem?

This problem happened after I installed Renegade, why I`m the only one that has this problem? A lot of pleople has Emperor and renegade, why me??!!

Go to this link Procyon:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=win9x_archive

and download the 40.72 drivers. Even though the text says it's a beta version it's not. Install those drivers and then try emperor. I really don't know what the problem is at this point. I am running Windows 98 with DirectX 9. I have a Geforce 3 video card and I am using the 40.72 drivers and I can play Emperor all day long without a hitch. I really don't think a BIOS flash is going to help since the chipset you are using is pretty stable.

I have had weird things happen with Red Alert 2 and I had to reinstall the game to fix the problem. You said you have tried multiple times to install the game and even reformatted the hard drive. None of that fixed the problem. I am starting to run out of ideas for you Procyon. You have tried all that Nyar and I have suggested and the problem persists. You may indeed have some unique condition I have never seen before. I think you are going to have to provide a list of all applications you had installed on the system slightly before the problem started with emperor. Maybe some other app you installed (besides renegade) is causing this error to occur.

My RAM is of 320 Mb: I have two RAM cards: one of 64Mb and the other one is of 186Mb. The game can be influenced by some incompatibility problem of my RAM cards?

Hey, I played Emperor only 4 hours without stop before I installed Renegade!!! I got them at the same time!!!!

I haven`t installed that driver yet.

So you are able to play EBFD now ? Also, you reformatted, installed EBFD, but did you also install Renegade ?

About your question for the RAM, you're able to find that in your motherboard manual if they are compatible or not.

Sorry, I didn`t explain myself...

I buyed they at the same time.

Since I reformated I haven`t installed Renegade.

I don`t know if my motherboard comes with that manual.

I hate to say, but emperor still locking up!!! I installed that driver, then I reinstalled Directx 9 and after that, I installed Emperor.

I was playing skirmish and I was saying "please, don`t lockup, please" then, obviusly it locked up. I don`t know what more to do ??? :'(

It's hard trying to figure out these things sometimes Procyon. I have just looked through the whole thread again (5 pages already) and I must say that I am baffled at the moment. I am going to start asking you to do some weird things to your system to try and determine what the problem might be. If you don't want to do the things I ask I will understand because these are not trivial things to do for a computer novice. The first test I think we should try is disabling your sound card. You can do this by going into Start->Settings->Control Panel->system->Device Manager->Sound,Video and Game Controllers and then Double click on your Sound Card. On the General Tab there should be a check box that says "Disable in this profile". I want you to check that box and press the OK button and then press the close button on the System properties window. Verify that sound is disabled by trying to play an audio file or going to a website with sound. Now try and play Emperor and see if it locks up. If it does not lock up I think the sound card may be your problem. If it does lock up we have at least eliminated the sound card as the problem. Regardless after doing the test go back through the steps I described to disable the sound card and uncheck the diabled button this time to enable your sound card again. Let me know the results.

I have disabled the sound card and played Emperor, but still locking up :'(. So,the problem isn`t of the sound card.

I will return from vacations on March 9, so give me different solutions now and I will test them when I will be at home. Thanks

Please repost DXDiag Procyon. I am starting to think you have a hardware problem. Possibly the memory. You said in an earlier post:

My RAM is of 320 Mb: I have two RAM cards: one of 64Mb and the other one is of 186Mb. The game can be influenced by some incompatibility problem of my RAM cards?

I have never seen a 186MB memory stick. They usually come in powers of 2, you know 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, .... in megabytes. If you do indeed have a 186MB memory stick I would also suggest pulling it out and see what happens. Obviously you need to have the machine powered down when trying this. I am guessing that the 186MB memory stick is really a 256MB stick and your motherboard is only seeing 186. This could be a limitation of your motherboard or a faulty memory stick.