Emperor lockups caused by C&C Renegade

Procyon

Its supposed that every motherboard has its own installation cd, but I didn`t get any cd from where my Pc was built. Where can I download the driver???

My motherboard is "Giga-Byte Technology CO., LTD i44OBX-8671"

and my processor is "GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 8 667 MHz Stepping 3" = Pentium 3

this page might help you find the driver [ if any ] for your motherboard. Mind that not all MoBO's need drivers and a BIOS update is more desired. [ standard IDE drivers and such can be used from the Windows ones if there is no tricky onboard stuff ]

After a guy reformated my HD, I can`t remeber using a extra cd for the MB, so I think my MB don`t need any driver.

About the uptades from the Intel page. What happen that update for Windows 95??

Seems to me you don't have to install them:

Users running Windows 95 OSR 2.0 or later (4.00.95b or 4.00.95c) or Windows 98 (4.10.1998) should NOT use the Intel Bus Master IDE driver. Bus Mastering should be enabled using the native operating system drivers. This document describes that procedure.

Basically it comes done to putting more power on your CPU and memory. [ sometimes it is done with your grafics card aswell ] More power is more electrons, and more of those means more data shifting in your pc. Which results in a faster computer.

Think that is basically it, although put very simpel and not al that technically accurate it is easy to understand this way I think. :)

Anyway tell me what is overclocking, because I have no idea. ???

To put it even more simpler, it's making your pc faster then normal.. Example: I have a 3Ghz processor. Due to the fact that I overclocked my system, it's now operating as a 3.6Ghz..

Do you know another person who have/had this problem???

No, hence why your problem is so difficult to tackle..

[Edit: Damn typos...[/Edit]

is posibly that the guys that sold me this pc have overclocked it??? I mean: I have a Pentium 3, 667Mhz. Where the f*ck you find 667 Mhz? I can find 600,(700),800 Mhz for a P3, but 667 Mhz??

My pc has no brand, I bought from a store where the guys built it. And I think it was used before because it had some games and in the start->Documents were some stupid mp3s that were deleted.

You mean better to change it then flash it, or better to change it then keep it and not be able to play those games ?

at the first, if you consider buying a new one. . you can flash it [ if that in any remote case wil go wrong you are planning to buy a new one anyway and it might solve your problem ]. The second, 677mhz isn't that much when you play games on it. I recently tried to play Hitman [ one ] on the same processor only with a GF4 128MB grafics card in it and the game was really slow on it. So just changing the grafics card won't do and for games you will need a faster CPU anyway.

Although same as Nyarlathotep mentioned, I'm also not comfortable with telling others to buy new computer hardware.

[ I have been using a 468'er as FTP server untill a few months back myself .. just for the fun of it :-[ ]

I think it's a coincidence that you installed Renegade when the problems started. If I'm not mistaken, you already formatted your harddrives. That should take care of any software issues you may have had.

You problem is probably something very obvious, but right now I can't put my finger on it.

Maybe , I must try to modify the registry. Can you give the rigt order of what must I do???

Give me something obvius to try, maybe I haven`t done some things that would work. :P

(but no so obvius as reinstalling emperor)

A coincidence?? A very strange coincidence that happen after installing emperor.

- Friday 2 August 2002:

* I received my computer upgraded with an extra 256Mb stick, a 40Gb HD partitioned by two, and a GEforce 2 of 32MB.

*The two halves of the new HD were called D and E, which before these were the names of the CD reader and the CD writer.

*Those two CD drives were not detected. And I send back my pc to the guys.

- Friday 9 August 2002:

*(5.00 PM Local time) The computer detect the CDs drivers

*(6.00 PM) I installed Empy and played for about 4 hours.

*(9.42 PM ) I reached the first Atreides mission on the Guild Heighliners, saved my game and get out of the game.

* Then I installed Ren.

*Played for about other 4 hours (understand, I was excited at that day :D)

*(2.00 AM or so) Exits renegade and made my pc off)

*I get asleep

- Saturday 10

* I loaded my Emperor saved game and IT lockups and I exclaimed "WTF? ???"

Give me instructions of what must I do for modify the registry.

I warn you first, then let me know if you still want it..

In the registry, there's no such thing as "something obvius to try". If you screw up (without making a backup), you can setup your whole PC all over again. You need to understand what you're doing..