Emperor lockups caused by C&C Renegade

Procyon

Well, once we get a fresh install of Windows I would suggest installing Renegade first and play it for a while to make sure it works. After that I would install Emperor and cross your fingers. They both should work. The problem that doc and I think you have is a corrupted dll, but we have no idea which one. By formatting the drive we will get rid of all shared dll's and when the games are installed they should work (because the dll's will no longer be corrupted).

What difference can do the order of installation?

I think Emperor can`t recognoize the .dll file that was updated(replaced?) by renegade, and Ren. can recognoize the older .dll file of Emperor??

How many time must pass before I should format C again?

You definitely don't need to format every 6 months to a year, but if you keep having problems it might be necessary. I know some people do have a time period for such things, just part of a routine maintenance schedule. It just depends on how hard you thrash your hard disk. About the install order, I was only suggesting that specific install order because you said that after installing Renegade is when you first saw the problem in Emperor. If you reformat it really should not matter what order you install the software.

I installed Win 98 SE.

Now lockups after 10 minutes in the game. But now the lock up is diferent than the first time, Maybe now the problem is the sound, because the sounds sometimes are repeated or interrupted. My sound card is Crystal CS4281-CM.

I have`t played skirmishes yet but I`m playing the HArkonnen campaign now and it lockups.

Renegade is now uninstalled.

Well I Looked into your sound card for drivers online and here is the link to the latest version:

http://www.cirrus.com/en/software/drivers/audio/PW5026.zip

The date on this driver is 4/2001 so I am guessing you already have this version. Is it possible for you to repost your DirectX log as an attachment since your original posted ones are gone. I have reviewed the thread and you have tried changing the settings in the game and that did not seem to help before. I seem to remember some options that could be set at the command line for Emperor. Wait, I just went to the Westwood website and here is something similar to the sound problem you mention and the command line option I was remembering:

From the Westwood Tech support archives:

Question

"Why is the Emperor video slow or choppy? Why doesn't the sound match the video?

Answer

We have implimented a feature that solves most video synchronization problems. Symptoms of these problems include choppy video at any time in the movies or game play or sound either ahead or behind the video.

You can do this by right clicking on the shortcut, and then selecting the properties option. You'll then see a text field that has a directory listing, something like "C:westwoodemperoremperor.exe". You'll need to place a +w at the end of this line, resulting in "C:westwoodemperoremperor.exe +W". This should remedy your video choppyness during movies. If not simply reply and we'll further diagnose your situation.

If this did not solve your problem, please ensure that your video drivers, as well as DirectX is up to date.

At least give the command line option suggestion a try.

I have installed Emperor and putted that +W thingy but it doesn`t work. I also tried to install it by copying the setup folder top desktop.

What 3D video card do you recommend me? And what sound card?

I don't think you want to disable Direct 3D. I doubt the game would work since it does not support a software mode. You must use a 3D accelerator. I guess by configure Nyar means installing the latest drivers. Not sure, but have you installed the latest drivers for your video card?

I`ve installed all the latest drivers, patches, direct X of everything!! I`ve visited the Nyar site but it can`t help me and I`ve visited that site a lot of times.

What more can I do? Upgrading my video card or sound card to another better can help?

Yes, I have installed the f***ing graphics driver (41.09) !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have installed alaso the sound driver and DirectX9.

I also checked the NYar site, and I`ve tried everything!!!!!!! I also posted my problem to that site, but they didn`t help me!!!!!11 and also to the useless westwood tech support!!!!!!1

can anybody help me!!!