Dream Places: What are far away places you want to vist most?

emprworm

Atacama Desert in Chile, it's the driest places of earth. At least that's what the NASA says, they make their tests over there.

hmmm, thats odd. If we look at percipitation to Atacama, we see it gets about 1 cm per year from fog and about once every 100 years it rains.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/lri-13/www/atacama-trek/Overview/overview.html

If we look at the Dry Valleys in Antarctica, it hasn't rained there in 2 million years and NASA has concluded it is the closest terrain to Mars that can be found on earth.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p/travelguide/64196

Now, since there is some Ice that can be found in and around the dry valleys perhaps that is the reason one might say the desert in Chile or the Lut desert in Iraq is the driest place simply because there is no pre-existing ice or water in the ground, but if we look at it in terms of percipitation, i think no precipitation in 2 million years is pretty dry. Anyway, for my .02 cents, I still say the Dry Valleys is the driest.

Atacama Desert in Chile, it's the driest places of earth. At least that's what the NASA says, they make their tests over there.

hmmm, thats odd. If we look at percipitation to Atacama, we see it gets about 1 cm per year from fog and about once every 100 years it rains.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/lri-13/www/atacama-trek/Overview/overview.html

If we look at the Dry Valleys in Antarctica, it hasn't rained there in 2 million years and NASA has concluded it is the closest terrain to Mars that can be found on earth.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p/travelguide/64196

Now, since there is some Ice that can be found in and around the dry valleys perhaps that is the reason one might say the desert in Chile or the Lut desert in Iraq is the driest place simply because there is no pre-existing ice or water in the ground, but if we look at it in terms of percipitation, i think no precipitation in 2 million years is pretty dry. Anyway, for my .02 cents, I still say the Dry Valleys is the driest.

Atacama desert is just too big and therefore precipitacions are not the same in all places, but there is an area inside the Atacama Desert which is called "Moon Valley" that's the place i was talking about.

If you could go anywhere on earth to see a far-away place, where would you guys would go see?

I would like to go and see beautiful coral reefs that have been undamaged by human intervention, and lush rainforests in their natural condition. Unfortunately, this might be asking a bit much. :'(

5) Maltese Islands in Greece. Specifically the one that scientists are saying is Atlantis :O!

Actually ACE, Malta is not part of Greece.The Island that i think you are refering to is Santorini(thera) which IS a greek island,it is the remains of a volcano that some people have claimed to be Atlantis..it's stunningly beautifull. 8)

Queensland Australia,what more could you ask for beauitful beachs and rainforest like the daintree(cairns) or great barrier reef.Now fraser Island is something else,biggest sand island in world.You will need a 4wd to go here Ive been plenty times here.All the backpackers seem to love this unspoiled paradise which you cant blame them.

Btw Dont forget the board shorts and the sunscreen if you come here 8)

Actually Aztec ruins are in North America (Mexico) and Maya ruins are in Central America. In South America are the inca ruins.

true, but as far as i know mexico is named middle america (but i could be wrong)

i would like to go to:

1. Norhtern Europe. (Laplands, dunno how they are called in english)

2. Egypt Pyramids

3. Mongolia

4. Ireland

5. Great Brittain

6. France

7. I want to explore my own country (especially the history)

8. Rome

9. Constantinople

10. Venetia

(many names written above may be wrong but i don't exacly know how they are called in english

EASTER ISLAND! OH YEA!

Best time to go to easter Island: July 11, 2010

A TOTAL ECLIPSE of the sun will be right smack over Easter Island.

look at the path of this eclipse. Such a narrow path, yet easter island is RIGHT SMACK IN THE MIDDLE

This happens something like once every 2000 years (dont remember the exact figure but it doesnt happen very often)

http://eclipse.span.ch/july11.htm

Yeah Mayans, that's what I meant...

Hmm I honestly don't remember the name of the island in Greece so I searched for it. I saw it on the discovery channel or something along with several other potential Atlanti. It was the last one they mentioned and it is most definately the front-runner IMO. I can't wait to see what the excavation will hold.