Floods!

Caid Ivik

Bohemia, Sachsen, Upper Austria, Moravia. Biggest flood ever wrote into history of meteorology of central Europe storms cities on Danube, Vltava, Labe, Moravia and many more. In Prag has Vltava reached 30-times of normal steam! At least Bratislava and Wien are still dry!

I'm glad it's not near my door here in Holland.. *grabs a beer and walks out and relaxes in his garden at 26C (I think somewhere near 90F - 95F)*

Seriously.. It's sad to see all those people loose their posessions. I hope all that water doesn't get down to Holland (as our country lays pretty low compared to all other European countries). If it does, we might have a problem.. a huge problem..

The weather here in Hong Kong has been wierd. In the summer, it is very rare to see a day go by without rain. Not only is it not raining this summer, but some days are bright and sunny without a cloud in the sky. This is usually flooding season too.

so with all the floodings and forestfires and drouts all over the world, does it seem like the number of occurances are increasing or is it just that more media coverage is making it seem that way?

How fun!

Well norway is so dry that it can be (the postman have taken vacation, timenn where are u postbode???)

Well is ther any killed? :'(

Or is it jsut lots of water?

Ahh, just water and water. At least Bratislava intact. But, sadly, I can't say this about Austria and Czechs. But now, according to latest report, steam of Danube in Bratislava is about 11 000 ccm/s! It's record of last 500 years! Also it turned river Moravia against its steam! I hope our beloved dam Gabcikovo survive it...

I think its more occurences, the US forest fires are sort of our own fault. We've been redirecting water in the West for years to feed cities and now thanks to that fact and the fact that we're in the middle of a drought we've got more fires than before.

And this flooding, is a record? I'd believe it, I've seen what Prague looks like on CNN, and that is a whole lot of water! :O

Er... I heard that Bratislava hadn't had the worst of it yet...

Our weather has also been odd, for the same reason as the central-europe floods - the weather systems have rotated slightly, meaning the prevailing winds (with the clouds) are concentrated on Austria and surroundings.

And you know what's even better? Romania is downstream from all that. :(

Hmmm, although I'm pretty sure our two huge dams at the Yugoslavian border will hold the Danube. That is if the Hungarians don't take care of it first - I've heard they've taken special precautions on their Danube dams.

But the destruction in Prague is horrific... When will we ever learn not to mess with the climate?

sadly, but true. Humans are so intelligent they say but in some ways we are more stupid than any other species that live on this planet.

We can't win from nature though. If we fuck up the climate we're as good as dead. We are just like a plague. We infest worlds and bring doom to ourselves and take others with us. Our technology might save us in the long end though. I hope that it will save everyone though and not only the assholes

America is the only country in the world that hasn't signed the Kyoto treaty.

Biggest human problem IMO is population growth- the population doubles in 25 years! Eventually our growth will necessitate the eradication of certain animal species.

Back to floods. Bratislava survived 500-year water without a scratch (or splash), also we, and Hungarians too, must be proud of our dam Gabcikovo ;D

Danube here started culmination and flood wave is due to dry weather vanishing. Also Labe and Vltava culminated, reports are about just 30-40 dead in Czech Republic, altough dam on river Dyje broken, no big losses were made. Czechs made good organisation, but now I hope Germans will do good too. Only problem now is with oil and chemical storages, which contaminated lots of water.

Flooding wave on Labe is still powerful and Dresden are endangered. God be with them...

Yeah we dutch people also had our piece of water here. Handling it we can but mastering is a different thing. If the northpole and southpole DO melt then i don't know what to do then. Perhaps the richer countries may be able to deal with it but what about the poor countries. And even then what other consequences does the disapperance of the poles have?

Yeah we dutch people also had our piece of water here. Handling it we can but mastering is a different thing. If the northpole and southpole DO melt then i don't know what to do then. Perhaps the richer countries may be able to deal with it but what about the poor countries. And even then what other consequences does the disapperance of the poles have?

I doubt we'll be able to understand what effects that might have..

The polar ice caps won't melt. Humanity doesn't have THAT much of an impact.

If they would melt, the outcome is obvious: the end of civilization. Sea levels would rise by over 70 meters and the climate would spin out of control. All low-lying regions, including the most heavily populated areas and the best agricultural lands, would be flooded. The world would plunge into absolute chaos.

But the only way that's gonna happen is if a large asteroid hits the South Pole.

70 meters? i thought it was more like 10 or something but i could be wrong and as far as i know the polar caps are melting faster than before. Not too long ago to big pieces of ice seperated from the poles, each of about the size of my country (the netherlands)

I disagree Edric. I read a science review by a few professors at my college that made some sense. Basically, it explained that the ocean levels will not rise due to the melting of the polar ice caps.

Because by the laws of physics, water will displace as much mass as the volume of water that is displaced by the object. In other words, the melting of the polar ice caps will have the same effect on the Earth as ice in a glass of water. If you notice when you