LOTR-Dune

Emperor Harkonnen

Well in a sense both are heavily researched worlds created by the writers (Tolkien and Herbert). Both have some eastern influence more evident in Herbert's Dune than Tolkien's LOTR. Both writers used great efforts to make each of their worlds believable. Each one of the two worlds created by Tolkein and Herbert are different than each other. Tolkien's (LOTR) is fantasy and Herbert's (Dune) is sci-fiction if they have to be categorized.  As far as the name comparison between Sauron and sardaukar that could be true but they have different functions all together. This is the basis of why I think the two are not similar to one another (characters, settings, groups of people and over all story) you can't compare the Hobbits and the Fremen, nor Arrakis and Middle Earth, Sauron and Shaddam there all very different.

If Herbert did read LOTR before writing Dune I do not see where and how it influenced his novels.  :)

• 1 month later...

in david lynch's version of the film, they were definately made out to be evil. But in the miniseries, they just resembled politicians that were from another country. I always thought that the Harkonnens were evil.

In lOTR you have Sauron, who represents everything that is evil (though he is a mere servant of evil). The Harkonnens are evil, but do not represent evil. And they were eradicated in the first nove (I think- I have yet to read it) so there is no such thing as pure evil in Dune but there is in LOTR. Dune is thus more realistic.