RA2 - A combined mod?

nemafakei

TibEd is very useful for the strings file (ra2.csf). Otherwise, I reccommend Ini editing for RA2.

If you have YR, you won't be penalised... It depends on how much Ivik can do for YR. The core of the game will be in RA2 without YR.

You guys don't half talk about doing something... ;)

I've been writing a dune mod for RA2 on/off for a year now and found several things out that you might find useful.

Since you can extract voxels, sounds and SHPs from any game (inc. YR), writing the mod for RA2 is best. you can include images, sounds effects, etc from other games as part of your mod. 'Sides the main reason, it seems, for including YR is for the psychics and they are already in the basic game.

Lemme know.

You might want to start writing the game using the ini files first, using appropriate stand-ins from RA2, before you launch yourselves into making voxels etc, as these are very time consuming to do if you're not going to end up using them. When it works, do the voxels then.

Starting off by basing the game mod on an existing game is a good idea. For example, use the units/stats from Emperor. You can always change units/weapons/houses afterwards, and run less risk of unbalancing the sides too much.

Also, in RA2, its possible to have eight houses (Ordos, Hark, Atreides, Corrino, Guild, Ix, Fremen, Tlxu) without too much hassle. It doesn't matter which ones are allies or soviets really, since you can limit any houses' equipment very easily. It is possible to add more countries (i.e houses) without any problems. You might like to try Richese and the Sardukar.

Maybe you could make only O, H, A, C playable, and allow the tech trees of the other houses to be built only when you find one of their agents. You then make agents (one for each of the non-player houses) the only ones that can appear in crates by using units to represent them... When you find a unit crate, it'll let you ally with a new house... :) Decrease the chance of a unit crates appearing, and it keeps things from getting too silly.

*incidentally, the Sardukar serve the ruling house, and as you're fighting for control of the universe (dune) it's appropriate to reduce Corrino to  the other houses' status, and allow  each of them to impress the sardukar to get them to help you.*

Super weapons can be tricky. What I do is remove the Superweapons' "superweapon" status, and assign them as slowly recharging weapons to a specific structure. That structure is then given tech level 11, and the game's max tech level is increased to 11 also. Thus, by playing on tech 10 or less, Superweapons are disabled, and by playing tech 11, they are enabled. This helps a lot when you write your own Superweapons. Trust me! BTW; Ordos-weather Storm, Hark- Nuke, Atreides-Iron Curtain, Corrino-Ion Cannon?

Anyway, this post in now far too long, sorry guys....

If you want me to help, I can. I'd be willing to do Ini files editing, Start screen for each house, and Voxels. I hate doing SHPs though.... :-/

Hiyu.  I can help with ini editing, been doing TS crap for a couple years now, and i've just gotten started with RA2.  I only need to know one thing, where is the file you edit to add new UI names?