The Tablet Thread

"* haha I can say dash on fed2k now - yay o/"

Hm. Looks like it's searching by word not string.

I hope this new forum software compensates with some more advanced 'spellchecking' tools.

Edit: Hm... I think I prefer to do the conjugations myself.

• 3 weeks later...

In July good competition arrives.

Notion Ink Adam Tablet Caught On Video, Specs Finalized

Multitasking, 2usb, HDMI, swivel camera, SD card, touchpad on back (so you can scroll around without moving hands holding it).

Can run Andriod, Ubuntu.

Uses new screen format that makes it easy to see in direct sunlight (switches mode when detects direct sunlight).

The video shows it in use, and looks pretty cool. (video is quite useful)

Starting price: $500 nope, $330.

I see a price reduction in iPad coming this summer. Apple was just lucky to get to market first and charge $$$ to suckers who needed one right away.

In July good competition arrives.

Notion Ink Adam Tablet Caught On Video, Specs Finalized

Multitasking, 2usb, HDMI, swivel camera, SD card, touchpad on back (so you can scroll around without moving hands holding it).

Can run Andriod, Ubuntu.

Uses new screen format that makes it easy to see in direct sunlight (switches mode when detects direct sunlight).

The video shows it in use, and looks pretty cool. (video is quite useful)

Starting price: $500 nope, $330.

I see a price reduction in iPad coming this summer. Apple was just lucky to get to market first and charge $$$ to suckers who needed one right away.

The Hp tablet will be better competition. It will run windows 7 and have 2gb of ram.

Better competition?  That Norton table blows the ipad out of the water.  I especially love the way the scren adjusts so it can be seen outside.

My current laptop turned out to be a dud.  I doubt it's gonna last more than another year.  Since work has provided me an ancient POS laptop as well, my plan is to go and buy a desktop next time (although I may have to get one made - it would need both wireless connectivity and dual monitor support - neither of which is very common on PC's I believe) and a tablet, since they will be second generation by then.  That way I have computing and storage power for work (desktop) work portability for when I have to leave my house (the crappy laptop work gave me) and entertainment portability for websurfing/video watching in the tablet.  With 16 hour battery life and a screen that adjusts so you can watch it outside just fine (and the USB and SD card slots and the lower price), that Notion InkAdam would be at the top of my list.

Although I would still prefer the Lenovo IdeaPad over a PC and tablet combo if it's specs are higher up than the InkAdam's, visibility outdoors (a major concern of mine), and especially if it has a model with a  built in numpad.

I heard dual monitoring is really nice. Having one where you input info, and another while looking at something. Great for construction industry designing.

Also with dual monitor (2 output), you can hook up to monitor, and also (depending on vid card?) to a flatscreen tv to watch all your media or play PC games. Bioshock on a 52" tv is awesome (I know they ported to xbox/ps3, but PC has better graphics).

If you can make your own desktop (or pay someone to), you can do research get components you want, and have it do exactly what you need it to. If you shop online, and get parts delivered to you , you can get good prices.

Havn't done it myself, but I have bought some 'accessories' that are dirt cheap (and good quality) online compared to in stores. Basically do research and wait for sale.

My laptop is hooked up to a second monitor most of the time - essential for work.  Plus, if I don't have some kind of distraction while I'm working I tend not to get my work done.  I get bored and start surfing the web.  Thus, even if my second screen is not being used for work, it is always showing a movie or tv show or something.

I don't have a LCd or Plasma TV and no longer plan on getting one until one of my CRT TV's die.

With all the fuss about an iPad (granted a lot has come from Apple itself)  it's surprising how many companies are jumping in. And sadly missing the point.

Apple's products aren't about technical specifications anymore. Dealing in great (both technological and usable) hardware, the times Apple only used SCSI discs as a principle and sticking with RISC CPU's just because are no more.

Like Steve Jobs mentioned on numerous occasions. We are a software company. Likewise the iPad is not about it's specifications. It's about what you get. How you experience the technology. Ech counter campaign for a tabled, slate or whatever seems to be missing that point. It's not important what hardware is in it. How many USB ports, CD drives or RAM a device has.

The current Microsoft campaign ironically is exactly the same. Windows 7, it just works. No technical promises or features.

I love the quote 'It is also proof that a desktop OS should never be forced onto a tablet computer'.

In the end, it's what gets the job done. And while I have the luxury position to get an iPad (and if the HP Slate ever comes out we have jet another new toy) just to fiddle around with. My guess is that the iPhone I have right now is equally if not more suitable for my needs that an iPad. Even more as my current laptop is about 2 years old. My bet for it's successor currently is an MacBook Air.

I don't have a LCd or Plasma TV and no longer plan on getting one until one of my CRT TV's die.

Same here. Waiting for mine to die, and hopefully they won't because I don't want to buy right now.

Hold off on that for as long as possible. Either newer models that use less electricity (led lcd) and bigger/better picture will be out, or the old ones will be cheap (probably lots of second hand too). I got 30" and 20" GE CRT tv. Big/heavy, poor quality, not widescreen, sound on one sucks, only have coaxle connector into TV!

At least they're better than the huge TV found inside wooden cases we used to have in late80s early 90s with turn dials...

So for ipads if you have video on it, you'd have to buy proprietary apple converter to hook up to tv (HDMI/VGA) correct?

I guess the ipad would be better if you don't want to use your ipad with other devices, and just use the ipad as it is. That means you either don't use other devices, or if you wanted to you'd have to have another device (laptop/desktop), instead of having a single device that can plug into and be used with other stuff (monitor/usb devices etc).

Maybe apple wants each person to have iphone for phone/portable, macbook for hardcore work, and ipad for other stuff? Is it possible to have just one apple device and have it work/comply with non apple devices? Is it easy to backup iphone documents/contacts/paid apps and stuff onto windows machine? I presume it has to be all done through itunes and is connected to your account if computer/iphone gets destroyed? You only pay for app once, and if device gets destroyed they know you already purchased it and download for free? What if price changed since original purchase?

With all the fuss about an iPad (granted a lot has come from Apple itself)  it's surprising how many companies are jumping in. And sadly missing the point.

Apple's products aren't about technical specifications anymore. Dealing in great (both technological and usable) hardware, the times Apple only used SCSI discs as a principle and sticking with RISC CPU's just because are no more.

Like Steve Jobs mentioned on numerous occasions. We are a software company. Likewise the iPad is not about it's specifications. It's about what you get. How you experience the technology. Ech counter campaign for a tabled, slate or whatever seems to be missing that point. It's not important what hardware is in it. How many USB ports, CD drives or RAM a device has.

The current Microsoft campaign ironically is exactly the same. Windows 7, it just works. No technical promises or features.

I love the quote 'It is also proof that a desktop OS should never be forced onto a tablet computer'.

In the end, it's what gets the job done. And while I have the luxury position to get an iPad (and if the HP Slate ever comes out we have jet another new toy) just to fiddle around with. My guess is that the iPhone I have right now is equally if not more suitable for my needs that an iPad. Even more as my current laptop is about 2 years old. My bet for it's successor currently is an MacBook Air.

See, my main desire is for a portable computer that I can take outside to my hammock, lay down in, and watch a  movie under the stars for a few hours, surf the web, etc.  With a laptop I cannot do that.  Not without a big heavy old keyboard laying on my chest, and not for any longer than an hour and a half, maximum.  A smart phone doesn't interest me - I still don't even own a regular mobile, although work will probably make me get a blackberry if this restructuring they're planning happens.  An Itouch - well, I really hate Apple.  I think they're over priced, over stylized, and overrated.  Another video MP3 player with WiFi - I'm paying almost as much as a cheap slate and getting a tiny product that isn't ideal for relaxing and watching films or sending e-mails.

That's why to me, Lenovo's solution is ideal.  You get a laptop that can also be used as a desktop and a tablet combined.  But it's only ideal if everything works properly and it has the functionality I need for work.  Otherwise, as I said before, in another year I may go desktop PC again with a tablet for portable entertainment.

So for ipads if you have video on it, you'd have to buy proprietary apple converter to hook up to tv (HDMI/VGA) correct?

Who on Earth is going to use the iPad for that purpose. Maybe to show of your shining new toy with some pictures from your last vacation.

I guess it's the perfect presentation device for boardrooms. As an addition to the boring Power-point slides.

Is it possible to have just one apple device and have it work/comply with non apple devices? Is it easy to backup iphone documents/contacts/paid apps and stuff onto windows machine? I presume it has to be all done through itunes and is connected to your account if computer/iphone gets destroyed?

It's possible although not easy. At work I administer both Mac's (publishing department) and Windows computers (everyone else). All date is stored on Windows servers. Address books, account information, data, email, etc. They look different though the Mac's almost act as Windows clients.

Personally I use Windows and Mac laptops with a UNIX back-end and Novell to centralize almost everything.

Again this is not the default way for Mac's. It's possible though and requires a lot of persuasion to tweak it as you like. Nothing is default and like the good old days with computers. Nothing ever works the first time.

You only pay for app once, and if device gets destroyed they know you already purchased it and download for free? What if price changed since original purchase?

It is linked to your iTunes account. You are allowed to use the applications on 5 devices/computers/Mac's. If you are planning to migrate to a new Mac/computer you can de-authorize the old one. Each application that you have ones downloaded/bought can be downloaded again with the same iTunes account at no additional costs. Regardless of changes in the price of the application/song/movie.

@Mahdi

Let us know how that Lenovo works out. The pictures from it's presentation in Las Vegas last sumer looked promising. It's a strange choice though to equip it with two different OS'es.

Apple-iPad-Jokes-Watermelon.jpg

So in these charts they say ipad has no widescreen. I presume when watching videos (movies), you would turn the ipad to the side to get 'widescreen', same for documents etc. It doesn't have 16:9 aspect ratio so that would be the argument.

Is the OS compatible with having it turned on side (180 degrees). Or is OS hardcoded (to select apps etc) to only be used like shown in current pictures standing up?

If I'm watching video on ipad, once it's done do I have to turn my ipad to use the default OS app selection area? That could get annoying if constantly have to turn ipad if you work with a lot of 'widescreen' content. I assume the OS can be put in widescreen format. Let me know if you know the answer for sure.

From what I read, I believe the resolution is 1024 x 768.  Which is assuredly not a widescreen resolution. :P

I think that's what the gripes are about, rather than the inability to run apps or video in landscape mode.  That's gonna be some epic letterboxing action right there. ;D