Have you read everything Herbert has written?

Lawliet

Well, as the title says, have you read everything Herbert has written? Are you planning to? Do you only like the Dune saga? What do you think of his other works?

I assume you're probably asking since you're exploring finding some more of his books to read. I have read one or two outside his Dune series, and it is well worth it. Interestingly (probably just the ones I grabbed) I found them to be much more intense, and a more difficult read than his Dune books, so be prepared for that. One in particular, The Dosadi Experiment, I found to contain many of the same themes in Dune, but placed in a much different setting; I always thought of it as "dune on crack" as he seemed to take some of them to an extreme.

One problem I always had however, was actually *finding* the books. I'm sure you could probably find them all on amazon, but looking just in bookstores in general, they're extremely difficult to find (again they'll usually order them *if* they're in print). This has only become harder after his son started producing more Dune books; bookstores have a tendency to "phase out" Frank's work in favor of the "similar" new works by his son.

I assume you're probably asking since you're exploring finding some more of his books to read. I have read one or two outside his Dune series, and it is well worth it. Interestingly (probably just the ones I grabbed) I found them to be much more intense, and a more difficult read than his Dune books, so be prepared for that. One in particular, The Dosadi Experiment, I found to contain many of the same themes in Dune, but placed in a much different setting; I always thought of it as "dune on crack" as he seemed to take some of them to an extreme.

One problem I always had however, was actually *finding* the books. I'm sure you could probably find them all on amazon, but looking just in bookstores in general, they're extremely difficult to find (again they'll usually order them *if* they're in print). This has only become harder after his son started producing more Dune books; bookstores have a tendency to "phase out" Frank's work in favor of the "similar" new works by his son.

Wow. Thank you so much for your answer. Guess i'm gonna start with The Dosadi Experiment then.

Regarding the books, i already found them all on amazon, and they're not very expensive, so no problem there.

On a side note, I personally hate what his son and Anderson have done to the series. Their first book was ok, good enough to end the series,but after 10 more books, they've made the saga a joke. i think it's time to finish the series.

I've read many of his books, and have enjoyed most of them, to varying degrees. The White Plague, the Jorj X. McKie series, and the Pandora trilogy.

As nerdy as it is, I actually was able to find (and procure!) a copy of his computer programming how-to book, Without Me, You're Nothing.

I also found it on amazon. You can find pretty much everything on the internet nowadays. I'm thinking about getting it, it'll look good on my collection. ;)

I've recently ordered from Amazon.com the anthology Medea: Harlan's World, which has a short story by FH entitled "Songs of a Sentient Flute." Apparently this story was the basis on which FH originally began writing the Jesus Incident with Bill Ransom. However, during the middle of writing the book he was told by his editors he no longer owned the rights to "Songs of a Sentient Flute"; forcing him to rewrite the book with different characters, settings, plots, etc.

Pics of my autographed Jesus Incident. .

th_TJIFH.jpg?t=1284312815

and Ascension Factor

th_Scan049April262009.jpg?t=1284312863

I also own the 1965 Galaxy Magazine edition containing "Do I Wake or Dream" which was later renamed "Destination Void"

th_DoIWakeorDream-2.jpg?t=1284313115

Wow that's amazing! Good job man. Which makes me wonder, how much would an autographed first edition of Dune be worth?

Wow that's amazing! Good job man. Which makes me wonder, how much would an autographed first edition of Dune be worth?

Judging by eBay at the moment, a signed Chilton first edition can go for just under a grand (marked down from ~ $1500!), USD, although I've seen them go for significantly more.

Awesome pics, Arnoldo. Where did you get your signed copies?

Judging by eBay at the moment, a signed Chilton first edition can go for just under a grand (marked down from ~ $1500!), USD, although I've seen them go for significantly more.

Awesome pics, Arnoldo. Where did you get your signed copies?

I got both my signed copies from amazon.com. If you search for a particular book under the heading "collectible" you'll find the autographed/first edition copies. Currently, amazon.com has a signed copy of Hellstrom's Hive available for $150 USD.

That's really cool arnoldo :)

I've only read the Dune series and The Santaroga Barrier. Santaroga is an interesting book; I don't remember terribly much (something involving a commune, cheese, and a drug that benefits the human psyche) but I think it had several social and political connotations that I missed at the time. I should go back and reread so many things :)

EDIT: Oh yeah; no, I don't plan to read everything he wrote. I just don't see myself having the time, unless something very bad or very good happens.

I've read The Eyes of Heisenberg, which was interesting, but far more so was a copy of Eye which I found on a bus one day. It's a great book, all yellow pages and tattered cover. It's a collection of his short stories, some of which are very good (one of them was a real bore).

I've read The Eyes of Heisenberg, which was interesting, but far more so was a copy of Eye which I found on a bus one day. It's a great book, all yellow pages and tattered cover. It's a collection of his short stories, some of which are very good (one of them was a real bore).

Were you already a Dune fan when you found that book on a bus (what a coincidence) or was that how you discover Herbert?

Yeah definitely check out some of Frank's other novels. Some of them in my opinion are on the same level of sophistication as the Dune chronicles.

Destination:Void was great. Whipping Star and Santaroga Barrier were also wonderful. two of the boosk named are apart of their own trilogies and all of them deal with some fascinating subjects.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

I'm mostly a lurker, haven't posted in a long time, but I'm in the mood (I know, I know... mood is for cattle and love play).

Anyway, I think I've read most of FH's non-Dune stuff. Started White Plague... couldn't get into it, but will try again. Tried the WorShip novels... they still make my head hurt. I need to get Hellstrom's Hive, Dragon in the Sea, Direct Descent, and Eye (and a few others).

I like reading his non-Dune stuff, because it gives me so much insight into Dune. For example, The Dosadi Experiment.

In Dune, we get a brief look into FH's theme of "harsh environments produce superior creatures" with the Fremen and Sardaukar. In Dosadi... the entire book is about that specific theme. I am of the belief that to fully understand FH's philosophy and themes, one must read outside The Dune Chronicles.

The main reason I posted, though, is three words:

Local Used Bookstores!

Your hometown... if you're on a trip... any city or town you're in... check the used bookstores. If you want to find non-Dune, out of print, FH books, those are the places to look.

Here's what I've found at used bookstores in GA, FL and MA:

The Worlds of Frank Herbert

The Godmakers

The Heaven Makers

The Jesus Incident

Destination: Void

The White Plague

Soul Catcher

I also found three short stories on eReader.com (which were awesome, BTW)

That's it. I hope I'm in the mood to post more to this awesome forum!

Lord Johnsonius:

Thanks for the welcome. I love this forum, just not much of a poster. I started out on Star Trek (which I still love), then Star Wars (meh)... but nothing, NOTHING, in sci-fi compares to Dune.

Lawliet:

Amazon.com is, pretty much, the greatest thing ever. I'm reading Children of Dune on my Kindle for PC right now, then plan to download all the Elric of Melnibone books next. Saying that... I still get that "finding buried treasure" feeling when I find a FH book I haven't read at a used bookstore.