2010 Olympics

Andrew

I saw the torch relay tonight. They had about 4 advertiser vehicles at first, about 10 cop cars, 1 ambulance, a bus for torch bearers (more were around, but not in 'parade'), and at the end was the torch.

Canada better win lots of medals this year.

Anyone planning on anything? Any Olympians from your country that are expected to do well?

Vancouver is gonna be crazy. Everywheres is booked, and ticket prices are expensive (hockey games are $1000). I won't be going of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone excited yet?

I am!

BBC article on why the Vancouver games might be the UK's most successful Winter Olympics yet.

According to statistician, Canada will be #1.

Olympic expert: Canada will win most medals in 2010

All the more reason for Canada to fail

Luciano Barra's projections

Top Five Nations (Total Medals)

Canada 29

United States 28

Germany 28

Norway 25

Austria 18

GO CANADA!

EDIT:

wait, Britain only won 1 medal in 2006? Ouch.

guess again - this is the danish captain-ish girl from the danish curling team! I can't wait to hear her scream weeee weeeee weee yeaa!!!

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/anden_sport/article1288862.ece

NSFW

I think I'll definitely be watching curling. Fun to play as well.

Hmm, in Canada they say "Hurry! Hurry hard! Sweep! Sweeeep!" Is that what your post translates to?

To be considered a money grab the Olympics would actually have to MAKE money.

what pisses me off is the hypocracy in the IOC. They should all hang imo.

you know our crown prince must not take any political stance - yet he is in the IOC...cause the IOC isn't at all political. Take your underlip, lift it over your face and swallow.

A concicted criminal Kun-Hee Lee (South Korea) is taken in grace...after Samsung paid a large sum of money to the IOC. Samaranch is a declared Fascist. Palenfo has killed numerous of people (not with his own hands naturally). I would not shake hands with this trash even if my life depended on it.

To be considered a money grab the Olympics would actually have to MAKE money.

It makes money for everyone but the government (I guess taxes might make up for some of it).

My friends are staying at $400 a night location in Whistler for 10 days. Work paying for it though. Prices at stores are much higher than normal. Their store is directly across the road from podium. Lucky bastards.

It hasn't even begun yet...

Olympic luger Nodar Kumaritashvili in horrific crash

I hope he's OK.

Unfortunately, the caption reads: "Prior to his crash, Kumaritashvili was not considered a medal prospect."

So after the crash, he is? I think the BBC should be more careful in their phrasing.

EDIT: He's dead. Well I suppose the caption makes more sense now...

Has the Olympics gone too far? In quest for medals are the risks too high?

Expect those types of questions to be in media over the weekend.

Lots of people have apparently already crashed on the track.

Seriously you're on a luge going 140km/h. If you fall off you're screwed. Although not sure why there would be a metal pole sticking out on a sharp corner. Shouldn't there be a safety net or something?

It would be like putting a metal pole slightly off the course of downhill ski track at a corner. If they lose control *bam*.

omg watching video on cbc.ca about it they have a video ad at first that says how many athletes are at olympics for every moment (for a truck). How insensitive.

g-cvr-100212-luge-1p.grid-5x2.jpg

ski2e.jpg

Last moment of life pictures

EDIT:

Sad to see Georgia walking in opening ceremonies.

post-1194-12833240014129_thumb.png

Ok, I missed that.

It was 16 year old Nikki Yanofsky

youtube video of her singing ocanada

Only maybe 1 second delay max in audio. good voice.

Your feed must have been delayed in Vietnam.

EDIT:

On tv talking about the deadly track and how it's been dangerous for years and everyone that goes on it gets hurt.

They made changes to track today. Men start at womens track (psychological reason). They finally put a wall up where the guy ran into poles.

EDIT:

Anti-Olympics rioters smash Vancouver store windows

Turned on the tube for background noise this afternoon and ended up on the channel showing the Games. Figure skating. If I hear the theme from Romeo & Juliet again I think my head will explode.  ::)

Got to thinking that they ought to introduce a new event ... like high diving into a frozen lake. THAT would be sport! :)