Swine Flu

Andrew

how many has been infected on world wide scale? around 20000 people. And I've heard about 197 has died from it. I think that the last flu epidemic in denmark killed around 1000 people.

29,669 confirmed cases on June 12th. My guess is that it has increased by 2500 - 5000 by now (world wide).

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/06/15/swine.flu.scotland.death/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

Have you received your invitation to a swine flu party?

Apparently there are people who intentionally plan to expose themselves and their children to this wave of the swine flu in hopes of building immunity to a second more deadly wave of H1N1 that may hit in the fall.

While medical professionals are strongly discouraging such events, there seems to be some basis for this action:

Researchers at George Washington University in Washington DC have studied the 1918 pandemic and have found that in areas where there were more cases during the first wave of Spanish flu, there were fewer deaths during its second wave, in the fall of that year.

Basically, they

If the second wave strikes as rarely as the first, then that's about as worth it as driving a tank to avoid terrorist attacks.

Why don't we set up parties for every serious virus? Of course, that's going to be alot of partying, guess it'll have to wait till the holiday season. (sarcasm/)

How about an HIV party? Sorry.

Three people were removed from Glastonbury for swine flu fears and one person in scotland died recently. I wonder how many people have died due to normal flu?

According to wikipedia and Mytowntalks news (never heard of them myself till now), 36000 deaths are a year are associated with flu.

OH.... SH!T!.... Thats 220 times the number of deaths caused by swine flu!!!!!

QUICKLY!!! I'm organizing thousands of flu parties around the world for the tens of thousands of strains!

BE THERE OR BE DEAD!!!!!!!

(sarcasm/

Btw, I'm certainly not saying that they shouldn't be carefully containing the swine flu virus. I don't know how it compares to other flus but maybe it should warrant special attention.

• 4 weeks later...

2 more confirmed cases in my province. Japanese tourists have stopped visiting because of it. Similar to when SARS was in Canada and it killed Japanese tourism. One bus tour operator says 80% of tours for Japanese have been cancelled.

2 more confirmed cases in my province. Japanese tourists have stopped visiting because of it. Similar to when SARS was in Canada and it killed Japanese tourism. One bus tour operator says 80% of tours for Japanese have been cancelled.

I never realized that the Japanese were such fans of Road to Avonlea that they flocked to PEI....

I never realized that the Japanese were such fans of Road to Avonlea that they flocked to PEI....

It's actually Lucy Maud Montgomery, but yah they LOVE Anne of Green Gables. It's pretty much required reading over there. Last year was 100th anniversary of Anne of Green Gables, and Japanese tourists flocked here. We have chips, pop, dolls, chocolates, attractions, musicals, entire industry based around lucy maud. They bring lots of tourist dollars. Japanese represent 1% (~10,000) of all tourists.

N.B. has confirmed 20 more swine flu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like they don't know if it even does increase the chance of contracting H1N1 never mind them knowing anything about specific details. If that's the case there isn't much to be said. However, unless it enormously increases the chances of contracting H1N1, it would be difficult to see any sense in not taking it when it prevents flus that are much more likely to kill or harm you than H1N1 (ie: it is obviously better to risk H1N1 than a whole myriad of flus that together are more dangerous).

If the H1N1 paranoia gets to the point that people take greater risks with other flus in order to avoid taking the lesser risk with H1N1... well that would just be damn silly and senseless wouldn't it?