The Ordos Wall?

firefly

After reading through Emprworm's description of Thoxen's favorite strategem, I found myself wondering if it could be adapted to the normally-offensive-minded House Ordos... after all, they do possess units that could do the job.  So, having experimented in a few skirmish matches, I think it is indeed doable...

Basically, the groups would consist of Kobras, APCs, AA and chemical troopers, and both types of Sardaukar, supplemted by Fremen.  Note the laser tanks in the screenshot - these are using the position as a rally point to recover in between sallies.

"walls" do have their weaknesses, for example thoxen's atreides brick wal has an weakness, MONEY.

ordos brick wal also has an weakness HOLO'S or else, a combination of catapults/warriors/missiletanks/flametank and adp's

with atreides: kindjal/warriors/mino's

"walls" do have their weaknesses, for example thoxen's atreides brick wal has an weakness, MONEY.

ordos brick wal also has an weakness HOLO'S or else, a combination of catapults/warriors/missiletanks/flametank and adp's

with atreides: kindjal/warriors/mino's

Yes there are even more weaknessus in a wall,

such as worms holos or Guild/apc rush ;D

worms: you gotta be kiddin a worm eating guys on infantry cover???

guild? wtf do you think those kindjal and sard. r for?

apc rush... the sardaukar or else fremen/scouts.

sorry if i've been rude.

• 1 month later...

I also believe the Ordos wall is doable.

AA mines for air, Kobras for main attack, laz tanks in back. Place a few pop-up turrets behind the front lines (so that nothing sneaks into your base) and it's done.

That's not much more expensive then the atriedes (Mino,mongoose,repair vehicle,sniper) Might even be cheaper.

and all the ordos units self-repair. I find that to be extremely useful as Atriedes repair vehicles get killed very quickly. Kobras can also take a lot more punishment then a Mino. Though their range isn't as good. (Inkvines and Minos make for a big problem as they are put of the Kobras' range). But that's what Laz tanks are for or high ground. One can also move  the Kobras to in range. (Perhaps using a laz tank as a decoy to buy time). Self-repairing is great for turtling though.

But it can be easily outranged by Inkvines and Mino's. Maybe las-tanks will help against the Inkvine. But when it are too many...

Quite right; the laser tanks aren't part of the 'wall' per se; they use it as someplace to run to.  There are scouts all over the place, so when catapults/Minotauri/Kobras show up, I know in advance so the tanks can sally forth and deal with them... other than that, I range them over the map, harassing harvesters and targets of opportunity.

Yes, avoiding Kobra bullets with laser tanks is hard but you can do it. But placing many Kobra's is a good wall. And... to prevent further discussion about it. The Kobra and the Mino have the SAME range. They have the same bullet range is attached to the bullet)

• 2 weeks later...

Kobras can also take a lot more punishment then a Mino.

??? Kobras can take a lot more punishment than a Mino? I thought that Minos could take more. Isn't it true: 1 Mino vs 1 Kobra=Mino wins.

It would also depend on whether or not the Kobra/Mino has a chevron or two, and how many units are attacking the Kobra(s) Mino(s) at a time. I have noticed however, that a Kobra with 0 chevrons can survive a full Missile Tank (with no chevrons) salvo when a Mino with 0 chevrons gets killed, so maybe you're right.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WRONG, Mech.

A single Kobra WILL kill a single Mino, if the Kobra is well looked after (the Ordos player must make sure the Kobra fires on the Mino, because Kobras sometimes won't fire on units that are at the limit of their range).

If you don't believe me, why don't we meet online to test these things? Have certain units fight each other in 1 vs 1 and see what happens.

Even when the Kobra needs to deploy the Mino hasn't enough time to win.

Kobra Health = 3000

Mino Health = 2500

Kobra reload time = 30

Mino reload time = 120 (but after 120 'frames' they both did the same damage, odd rule of WW)

Both do 600 damage (didn't included warheads, for they have the same armor)

Kobra deploys in about 50 frames

If you let them shoot to the death, the Kobra will win. Because the Mino can fire the first time, then the Kobra can fire 2 times, before the Mino starts again. So goes on and on. But with the last round. The Kobra fires, and destroys the Mino, just, before the Mino can fire the first shot of the new round