President Obama

Figured I'd start a new thread since the other one was more for choosing a president.

I'll start this one off bashing Obama.

Obama tells GOP no compromise on tax rebates

President Obama told Republican House leaders Tuesday he plans to stand firm on the part of his $825 billion economic recovery plan that calls for tax rebates for nearly all working Americans -- including those who make too little to owe income taxes.

He's giving tax rebates to people who don't pay taxes. That sounds stupid.

A 40-Year Wish List

This recession is a great time for Democrats to spend lots of money on projects they've wanted for a long time, and have no problem giving money to organizations that supported them over the years.

There's even $650 million on top of the billions already doled out to pay for digital TV conversion coupons.

Seriously, it shouldn't cost $1 billion to tell people to get a converter. Obviously someone is getting paid off, and most of that money will be wasted.

Figured I'd start a new thread since the other one was more for choosing a president.

I'll start this one off bashing Obama.

Obama tells GOP no compromise on tax rebatesHe's giving tax rebates to people who don't pay taxes. That sounds stupid.

They still pay payroll taxes, and sales taxes ect.

A 40-Year Wish List

This recession is a great time for Democrats to spend lots of money on projects they've wanted for a long time, and have no problem giving money to organizations that supported them over the years.

Seriously, it shouldn't cost $1 billion to tell people to get a converter. Obviously someone is getting paid off, and most of that money will be wasted.

Basic Kensyian stuff I hear

For the purpose of stimulating the economy, the only thing that matters is that more money gets spent on consumption. It does not matter who gets the money or what they buy with it, as long as they buy something produced in the United States.

Of course, if you need to spend a lot of money to stimulate the economy, might as well kill two birds with one stone and order it to be spent on something you care about, right? That seems to be Obama's thinking here.

Ahh, yes but how many goods are produced in the USA that people are buying with this free money?

And assuming that the goods and services are produced in the USA, where do the profits go? Are the head offices in foreign countries (so america gov does not get taxes back)?

Like I said with the tax rebate cheques spring/summer 2008, it was pointless and waste of money. People went and bought HDTV, and filled their car with gas using those tax dollars (I'm sure it was spent on other stuff, but basically none of it was saved and spent on "wants" not "needs").

The only thing the government should be spending money on it infrastructure. Stuff that needed to be replaced in a couple years anyways, they are just moving the timetable ahead to create more jobs.

It should not be spent so that someone can go buy a new LCD tv, or to purchase something not needed to survive.

Every government (federal, state, municipal etc), and business/industry wants a piece of this pie. The USA gov has opened its coffers to an extent that should not be possible. Where is this trillion coming from? More debt? Wasn't debt the primary cause for this recession?

The Canadian government spending is ridiculous (15 years of surpluses gone in a 2 years), and I'll post about that in the other thread. Some of their stimulus is silly and misdirected. The conservatives raided the bank. The liberals once again don't have the balls to do anything about it.

Obama finds room for lobbyists

During campaign Obama said he wouldn't put lobbyists in the white house. Now he has.

'Buy American' rule in U.S. stimulus bill could cost Canada jobs

It says that steel used in public projects under the $819-billion US plan must be made in the United States, an idea likely to cause trade disputes and block sales by Canadian mills.

In the stimulus package, there are rules that people must buy American goods.

Looks like the USA is back to protectionist tactics with trade. That did not work well back in 1700-1900 (it just escalated with every other country).

And remember when US gov restricted imports of foreign autos back in 1970s/1980s? That did not work either, it just made the overseas companies rich because of supply restriction (increased demand = higher price could be charged, more profit per vehicle sold).

As passed by the House, section 1110 of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 says, "None of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this act may be used for a project for the construction, alteration, maintenance, or repair of a public building or public work unless all of the iron and steel used in the project is produced in the United States."

Government interfering with the markets again. So once all this money is spent and projects can once again purchase steel/iron outside of USA, the US iron/steel industry will need a bailout because they won't be able to compete with foreign companies. They will be so used to getting government kickbacks then when they venture outside they will be left behind.

So with this wouldn't the USA be throwing out the NAFTA and even WTO treaties? I remember reading a case about US having trade problems with steel and how US was against WTO treaties covering steel.

'Buy American' Rider Sparks Trade Debate

Proponents of expanding the "Buy American" provisions enacted during the Great Depression, including steel and iron manufacturers and labor unions, argue that it is the only way to ensure that the stimulus creates jobs at home and not overseas.

Uh oh. Back to great depression tactics.

Remember how well those worked during the great depression?

Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act

So if the USA doesn't want Canadian steel, then maybe they don't need our oil, electricity, water, or timbits?

This is a slippery slope.

Doesn't China sell Steel to USA? So when USA stop buying from China, what will USA do when China starts dumping the USD?

Major foreign holders of treasury securities

I think the American public have been setting themselves up for massive disapointment since they started... messianing (?) of Obama, but, hey, he's single handedly ended the two month old Ottawa Bus Strike without even trying (or possibly knowing it was happening), so I'm happy.

I think the American public have been setting themselves up for massive disapointment since they started... messianing (?) of Obama, but, hey, he's single handedly ended the two month old Ottawa Bus Strike without even trying (or possibly knowing it was happening), so I'm happy.

I heard that really sucked. People who relied on it got screwed. And those that didn't had to deal with more traffic.

I thought I heard neither side are much better off with the new deal anyways.

Under Obama, `war on terror' catchphrase fading

See. Obama single handedly solved the war on terror.

::)

(You're actually Freakzilla from Jacurutu, right?)

You already asked that before. I've never signed up or viewed that website.

Barack Obama Doesn't Care About White Southerners

Bad ice storm and Obama is ignoring it. ;) (nah, it's really just media trying to create a controversy to increase profits)

Renditions still allowed under new Obama directive

Hurray, the USA is still allowed to kidnap non USA citizens and send them to middle eastern countries to be imprisoned for however long USA feels like it.

most Canadians are rednecks, in the original meaning

of the Scottish "rebels" ....

and I just can't bring myself to get all hyped up over the

Obama-bashing - considering what I myself did to poor ol' W.

in the first hundred days.

of course, I had the advantage of knowing what a slick

little monster he actually was.  it took the rest of the nation

a few years to catch on ...

and you ain't that much younger'n me, chubby ...

27,000 Work in Pentagon PR and Recruiting

That's from an Associated Press investigation, "which found that over the past five years, the money the military spends on winning hearts and minds at home and abroad has grown by 63 percent, to at least $4.7 billion this year."

$5 billion in marketing?

How about Obama cuts this staff to zero? I doubt that will happen, as the USA needs to sell its wars to everyone and hide every bad thing that happens.

That's the equivalent of building 5 Confederation bridges every year.

Remember when I-35W Mississippi River bridge collapsed in 2007? They could probably replace 50 of those sized bridges every year instead of hiring people to market the DoD. No more need to worry about old bridges collapsing.

Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bill Before Vote

A bunch of traitors. Did anyone think this stimulus was more of a pork item for private interests to get government money?

OMG we're in a bad recession! Quick lets put together a stimulus bill that we will not read and have no idea what affect this will have on the country other than bankrupt the government (and maybe interfere with a correction in the market).

Is this change we can believe in?

Anyone remember 9/11 and how they pushed through a bunch of legislation because it was patriotic?

Well said Andrew!

The whole point of this recession and depression is to actually bankrupt America, you think they have a good solution but that's a set up so that way they can have a solution for us on the next term. The point of this whole things is to destroy the dollar so they can establish the "AMERO" replacing the dollar and the establishment of the North American Union which combines USA, Canada and Mexico together, just like the Europian Union and the Euro Currency. They have a long term plan which is the "New World Order" and it involves: vast human and material resources, in to the building of a tightly nit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence , economic, scientific and political operations. Don't take my word for it just do your own research...

Now, now, remember: all opinions are important (if not equally valid) and should at least be given a hearing.

::)

(Is it true what that David Icky says, that your Royals are all giant lizard critters what swallow small marsupials whole? And alive? Is that why Liz goes through so many corgis?

If so ... kewl. ;D )

Hearings are for arguments and shooting them down. That's what he'll get.

I don't know who you're talking about, but one hardly needs to be a lizard to swallow marsupials whole. There's not that much struggle in a wombat, really. Corgis are something of a royal habit because they're actual mammals though, as opposed to marsupials.