Windows 7

That's the perfect question. I didn't see any reason to switch from XP to Vista and right now I can't see any reason to switch to 7 in the future. I have build my personal perfect XP with nLite a while ago (and didn't even manage to build the exact version again even with loading my settings) and never had any problems with it. I've also installed this build on several other pcs, laptops and virtual machines and as long as there is not one VERY good reason why I should use any other windows version I won't switch  :)

For the looks. :)

that's the absolute last reason why I'd change to a different OS. actually my current XP looks like good old Win2000 and I have removed even the tiniest effects from my build. I want my OS as fast as possible and not as goodlooking as possible loaded with crap nobody really needs.

Microsoft Discloses Windows 7 Pricing

The full version of Windows 7 Home Premium is priced at $199, with an upgrade from Vista or XP costing $119. The full version of Windows 7 Professional is $299, with upgrades going for $199. Windows 7 Ultimate is priced at $319, with the upgrade version at $219.

Hmm, pay $119 to upgrade from my winxp to win7. So does this mean if I did that and I end up wanted to reinstall win7 in a year or two, I'd have to first install winxp? Or does the upgrade just verify you have a valid winxp license, and they give you full version on dvd to install (which upgrades winxp->win7, or format/install win7 with winxp key)?

"Anyone who buys a PC from a participating OEM or retailer with Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate on it will all receive an upgrade to the corresponding version at little or no cost to customers," wrote LeBlanc.

So expect to be able to mail your OEM to get free win7 upgrade. Which I'm sure lots of people did with winxp...

I'm not sure about retail purchases. And you would have had to made the purchase on June 26(?) or later to qualify for the other free OEM upgrade I think. I tink that was more for buying a complete computer with vista from say dell.

If you preorder win7 now you get 50% off price.

newegg promo

Although the promo works everywhere, read my original win7 price article.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the trial today. First thoughts, got to desktop in under 2 minutes which is a significant improvement on vista. Other than that it does seem to load programs a lot quicker than vista. Just encuntered he first problem of trying to download to my vista partition and received an 'Access Denied' message. If any one wants me to try anything I'll keep you updated on how stable it is.

Khan

what is your basic computer specs?

Just wondering since you say what your boot time is. >2 min to boot to vista!?

Here is boot time I did several years ago for old laptop:

Fresh install of XP: 1:11 (was 3:06)

128mb ram  700 mhz

11.2 gb hard drive

8.0 mb ati video ram

What the hell would take vista >2 min to boot? Guess we havn't come far since winxp. Since every new release uses more resources to offset any hardware increases. My winxp and ubuntu take ~1:30 to boot and that is with my hard drive full of crap and 5 partitions.

Win7 is supposed to fix resource usage, but who knows if it works as promised. Everyone is testing fresh ultimate edition install, so no idea if anyone will see performance improvements with OEM editions.

That's boot time to a state where firefox can run and for some reason it takes a while for vista to get to that point.

AMD Phenom 9750 Quad core

8 GB RAM

Radeon 4830 512MB Graphics Card

To be honest I haven't had many issues with Vista but it is a lot slower than Win 7 so far and I haven't been able to get Linux to recognise my wireless adaptor so I guess I'll use Win 7 till it messes up.

Timed Vista properly: 45 secs to login screen, 1:15 from there till FF loaded.

I just had to try this.

42 seconds to a full boot including the 8 seconds before the actual OS starts to load.

(OSX on a MacBook black)

Booting WindowsXP in VmWare on the same machine takes 34 second to the welcome screen, and 65 second logging in and starting the basic services. 118 second to starting Windows, VmWare client and McAfee on the same unit. Roughly two minutes boot for a functional workplace.

I didn't mean it as a comparison to show how slow Windows is. I rather have a desktop computer that starts slow and works stable. Then one that boots in a few seconds. I don't care about start-up times that much.

(if you do care about start-up times, compair Windows Mobile with an iPhone and you'll see it's the other way around :) )

I'm not that bothered about boot times either, the fact that windows 7 is more compatible with my Vista partition than Vista is is far more interesting to me.

Timing Windows seven there's not much difference to login (40 secs) but from there it was about 20 secs till FF loaded.

Dammnit I had a good long post done, and then my computer shutdown. I think I pressed power button and didn't notice the countdown.

summary: fixing vista laptop now, and takes 1 min 16 seconds to boot to usable desktop. I tried fixing it up to make faster without killing vista stuff (aero). ubuntu 9.04 liveusb takes 1 min 1 second to usable desktop

laptop specs: Celeron M 530 1.7ghz, 1.5gb ram 80gb HD, intel g965 vid card.

Vista is slow, multitasking sucks.

Vista sucks, hopefully win7 fixes it.

Using a laptop makes me want to buy a netbook.

EDIT:

Hmm, my original boot benchmark was 2 min 31 seconds, but now vista is booting to usable desktop in 1 min 17 seconds. Guess I somehow fixed it.

Now where did I put that certificate I awarded you so many years ago... ah, here it is:

Award.jpg

:D

Haha, I completely forgot about that.  I had to go back to my Feb '05 posts to see what you were referring too.  Man, Sandchiggers List of Immortals and the Astounding Subtlelty Award, all within a few weeks of each other.  I am on a roll.

Does it come with a cash prize this time?

*coughcough*

Windows: Microsoft's red-headed stepchild

I recently spoke with an IT manager who was budgeting for an Office 2010 upgrade from Office 2003. I casually asked him what features he had deemed important enough to justify a $100,000 budget item. He thought for a minute and admitted that he couldn't think of a single one. So I asked the logical follow-up: Why are you buying it? He had no answer for that either. The $100,000 line item disappeared. He's also sticking with XP.

So, he was planning on spending $100k on upgrading MS office, yet could not state any reason to do so.

Maybe the MS rep took him golfing.

With all due respect, it's not about the cost of any software upgrade.

The question is why any IT manager doesn't think for himself and has a reason either why it is on the list, or why it is not on the list.

His job is to know and direct the companies future. Clearly he has no clue about that.