Windows 7

Dammnit I had a good long post done, and then my computer shutdown. I think I pressed power button and didn't notice the countdown.

summary: fixing vista laptop now, and takes 1 min 16 seconds to boot to usable desktop. I tried fixing it up to make faster without killing vista stuff (aero). ubuntu 9.04 liveusb takes 1 min 1 second to usable desktop

laptop specs: Celeron M 530 1.7ghz, 1.5gb ram 80gb HD, intel g965 vid card.

Vista is slow, multitasking sucks.

Vista sucks, hopefully win7 fixes it.

Using a laptop makes me want to buy a netbook.

EDIT:

Hmm, my original boot benchmark was 2 min 31 seconds, but now vista is booting to usable desktop in 1 min 17 seconds. Guess I somehow fixed it.

well your using celron, thats a single core cpu, plus its only 1.7ghz, vista needs more then that or it will be really sluggish. windows 7 however, will run on a pentium 4, so it should give you better luck.

well your using celron, thats a single core cpu, plus its only 1.7ghz, vista needs more then that or it will be really sluggish. windows 7 however, will run on a pentium 4, so it should give you better luck.

Ahh, but I don't think anyone with these "slow" laptops plan on spending $100 to upgrade an operating system. They wouldn't know how, and probably wouldn't benefit much (the email users). Students would benefit, but I'm probably gonna dual boot vista/ubuntu. vista if specific apps are needed, ubuntu for web browsing and basic stuff since it will be much faster.

But I'm telling everyone to wait until October/November if planning on buying a computer (specifically laptop/netbook), so they'll get one with win7 by default and prices should be even better, especially for SSD upgrade if necessary. No point getting netbook with 9 year old winxp, when win7 will be out in 3 months. Since win7 is supposed to be as good as winxp ::).

Did anyone try the Windows 7 RC?

I have it on my laptop for a few months now. It runs ok, it is not as slow as Vista is (I really find Vista awfully slow when it should not be).

I'm however not entirely convinced that this is the OS for me. I still find Win XP unbeatable. And especially with the faster computers these days, Win XP is just blazingly fast.

• 1 month later...

Microsoft Instructs Best Buy Employees on How to Trash Linux

If MS is spending money to train people to trash linux, that means MS thinks it's a threat. :P

I really love how in one screencap, they list "the games your customers want (eg world of warcraft)" as not supported under linux. World of warcraft is probably one of the better supported games under linux. Picked a bad game to compare.

I also like how they list: "Linux is safer than windows: myth". Sure thing, that's why you see linux OS getting infected with viruses all the time and windows never has any viruses on any machines. Why, those windows vista infected laptops I fixed last week were not windows fault at all (it was dumb users yada yada). ::)

I really hope winxp netbooks and vista machines have fire sale prices when win7 is released.

Does anyone know if there are plans for win7 netbooks on release day? I dunno if they can put win7 on current netbook hardware lineup.

At least the MS restrictions on hardware for winxp netbooks will be over, so maybe we'll say better netbooks. I think MS had said certain hard drive max capacity allowed and maybe 1 gb ram. (edit: turns out restrictions still in place)

Hmm, seems I am wrong. Ms will be screwing customers with win7 on netbooks.

Windows 7 Editions Come with Limits

win7 starter editions for netbooks. Really? Maybe this is why they are targeting linux, as linux OS on netbook would probably be more fully featured than win7 starter edition.

Microsoft adds to Atom’s restrictions

For Windows XP:

1. Main storage: Max built-in flash drive of 16GB and/or a hard drive of no more than 160GB.

2. Graphics: No greater than DirectX 9.0 capability.

3. Main memory: No greater than 1 GB.

4. CPU has to be single-core and no more than 1 GHz unless it’s one of the following: Intel Atom (N270, N230, Z500, Z510, Z520, Z530, Z540); or Intel Celeron 220; or AMD Geode LX, Athlon (2650e, Sempron 210U); or VIA C7-M (ULV), Neon (U2300, U2400, and U2500) CPU.

5. Screen size: NetBook: Up to 10.2 inches. Large screen NetBook: Up to 14.1 inches. NetTop: No limit given.

Thanks MS for screwing everyone over.

Microsoft to Limit Performance of Netbooks Running Windows 7.

Thanks for limiting the speed of netbooks MS! You wouldn't want a customer to have a fast running win7 netbook now would you.

The three-application limit is out, Windows 7 Starter on netbooks is back in

“It is important to note that Windows 7 Starter still includes only a subset of the features offered in the higher editions of Windows 7 such as Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional and above. Windows 7 Starter does not include:

* Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the “Windows Basic” or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.

* Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.

* The ability to switch between users without having to log off.

* Multi-monitor support.

* DVD playback.

* Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.

* Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.

* Domain support for business customers.

* XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.”

The "no personalization for changing desktop backgrounds" wtf does that mean? There's no way they would not allow people to change background/window colours/sounds. Not able to switch users without logging off, ouch. DVD playback, ok, it's a netbook, they don't have DVD drives. No aero? No multimonitor (I presume hooking up to a monitor and having screen on laptop at same time)?

Wikipedia has article comparing windows editions. win7 starter is nicely crippled.

Will be interesting to see how win7 starter works on netbooks, assuming it is used on almost all netbooks that currently have winxp (atom 1.6ghz, intel GMA950, 1gb ram).

Thats because thats starter edition, which was formerly for third world countries.......

And according to some of the links I posted, some websites are saying they are going to be putting win7 starter on netbooks. Which sucks if true. People might as well be using winxp home...

Windows 7 Starter Edition on netbooks: Is it bait and switch?

The "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah," aside, the site TechARP.com had previously reported that Windows 7 Starter Edition will only be allowed to be sold on netbooks with a screen of 10.2 inches or smaller, 1 GB or less of memory, a hard disk of only up to 250GB or a solid-state drive not larger than 64GB, and a single core processor running at a maximum of 2GHz.

So basically 95% of current netbooks would get win7 starter. So once again people will get a new computer with new windows OS and will think "why does it suck, and no better than previous computer/OS I owned?".

Sigh. And I was telling people to wait for win7 to buy a netbook instead of getting winxp. And it turns out it is a crippled version of the OS. Should be fun testing linux distros on them.

Pirating software is kinda pointless nowadays. You end up having to constantly pirate the newer version, and proprietary software uses proprietary file format so if you get a new computer or OS, the data you've created with it is useless unless you somehow get the software working (continue cycle of pirating).

I've created documents using MS works, doesn't work great with other software. No one could open the files 7 years ago when I submitted MSworks text documents to this website (of course no one pirates MS works).

I've created complex images in Paint shop pro 6 years ago, now the documents are useless as they would only open in PSP as they use proprietary .psp file format.

Better off using opensource software, then you can always open the documents if needed. Even if you have to download/install a really old software version or distribution.

Pirate upgrade/maintenance process is just as bad as paying for a product process every time a new version is released. I got tired of both.

Now back to original topic of win7 netbooks. MS only has to worry about linux on netbooks. Apple is too overpriced for $300 netbooks. So people have choice of buying netbook with win7 starter and keeping it installed, or get someone to install better OS (which would be linux).

Windows 7 cuts almost a third off the battery life of some netbooks shipping today with Windows XP, several recent reviews and user reports say.

win7 netbook edition keeps looking better and better.

Does Windows 7 reduce netbook battery life?

Samsung N130 and N140 will come with the Starter Edition of Microsoft's upcoming operating system, but Samsung isn't putting all its eggs in the Windows 7 basket. Windows XP Home Edition is also an option on both devices, according to a statement.

Manufacturers are starting to announce win7 netbooks. But with winxp options.

No free Win 7 upgrade for most Netbooks -- a good reason to wait until October 22?

Buy a netbook get stuck with winxp (good thing?). Unlike if someone buys a laptop/desktop with vista, they get free win7 upgrade.

For $80, you can upgrade starter edition to home premium on netbooks

Wow, you pay $300-500 for netbook (win7 starter edition) and would spend an extra $80 for OS upgrade? 16-27% price increase?

Anyone know if Microsoft office 2007 works on netbooks (with win7 starter)? Or is it slow?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the event is over. Must admit that Steve Ballmer really surprised me.

Considering most tech-CEO's he's a real down to earth kind of guy. He really seems to love what he does and puts a lot of passion in his work. Sure not everything works and Microsoft is not perfect. But they are working on it and things need to be addressed.

He was in The Hague and later that day in my city at one of our universities.

To conclude the day Paul Thurrott made an appearance.

Not a lot of new tech stuff. Although the question rounds did provide some surprising insights from time to time. And of course some goodies and a copy of Windows7 Ultimate for everyone that attended.

Windows%207%20CD%204.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email last night from Digital River - Microsoft's chosen digital distributor of Windows 7 - saying that my copy of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade was ready to download.

Currently in the process of backing up my documents, bookmarks, music, movies and other assorted files that I want to keep.  I intend to back up the majority of things at least twice, just to be sure.

Aside from the paranoia about data loss, W7 is downloading now.  Just under 3GB (3006.46 MB), 22%.  Just wish I could format my second HDD - files in use, my foot.  External 16GB Flash Drive and 80GB SATA will have to do.

Will post here with updates.  Anyone else got a full, working version of Windows 7 installed yet?

Oho, we have encountered the first snag, before I've even downloaded the files.  Currently at 57%, by the by.

Alright, I'm currently running XP Professional SP3 (32-Bit).  I'm downloading the Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit) installation files.

Now, apparently, there's a problem when the downloaded files are extracted to create the ISO.  An error occurs when the extraction is finished, or nearly finished.  Some people have additional errors when trying to find the extracted files, but sources are unclear as to whether the error actually does anything.

There's some discussion and a workaround to make a jerry-rigged ISO that ends up identical to an ISO which is created by extracting the files under a 64-Bit OS (since the errors only seem to occur under 32-Bit XP and Vista).  Here's the link - Digital River seem to be blaming Microsoft for the files they provided them.

Going to keep an eye on that thread.  I didn't see it advertised anywhere that you couldn't create a 64-Bit ISO under 32-Bit XP.  Hell, I made one just fine for the RC.  Not overly happy.

I just got a flyer and it looks like staples/futureshop (big electronic stores here) are now selling computers with win7 installed. So now I got to go look and see if they got heavily discounted vista computers no one will buy.

I see a netbook with win7 starter sold at futureshop. In the flyer they don't even bother listing the RAM. Just the 250gb hdd, and intel atom processor.

Hmm, just noticed in same flyer they are still selling vista laptops. Gonna stop by staples tomorrow and see what sales they have :P