Windows 7

Finally got Windows 7 installed.  The rigmarole I had to go through to get here is stupid, though.

1. Download W7 Pro 64-Bit Upgrade files.

2. Fail to extract files.

3. Spend 2 days looking for an answer.

4. Delete and re-download files (since they were apparently corrupt).

5. Fail to extract files, but this time, it was the "good" error!

6. Run an MD5 check on the files to make sure they're not corrupt.

7. Download a Microsoft tool to create a bootable ISO from these files.

8. Run the tool via Command Prompt.

9. Download ANOTHER Microsoft tool to burn the ISO to DVD.

10. Boot from the DVD.

11. Install over my old XP installation.

12. Windows 7 installed and activated!  Yay!  Update drivers and restart.

13. C:WindowsSystem32ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt.  %#~!$&%#@.

14. Put Windows 7 DVD back in machine, run Repair tool.

15. Repair tool finds nothing wrong, fire up Linux laptop to look for solution.

16. Open Command Prompt from Repair console, expand DVD copy of missing file to C Drive, restart.

17. Windows 7 starts up again!  Yaaaaay!

Now, everything seems to be fine, aside from Ad Muncher failing to run.  Probably just due to it not liking 64-Bit OSes, but I'm not sure.  Ad-Block Plus should do me fine for now.

I really hope there are no further problems with this OS. :P

The only downside (apart from the litany of errors and whatnot) is that you needed a previously installed and activated (i.e. legal) copy of Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista.  This wasn't an issue, but what really makes it a downer is that it de-activates the product key for your old Operating System.

Seriously? That scks....

Do you need everytime you install win7 first installed vista?

The only downside (apart from the litany of errors and whatnot) is that you needed a previously installed and activated (i.e. legal) copy of Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista.  This wasn't an issue, but what really makes it a downer is that it de-activates the product key for your old Operating System.

And no that does not suck Thumper. You buy an upgrade key and Windows version. So it replaced your current Windows version. Nothing strange in a pre-sale check if you do have one, and nothing strange on the de-activation of the Windows XP or Vista key as you are getting a new one. Windows license key have always been downgradable for Windows versions. You get a new key, that replaces the old one. No need for the old one any more unless you are planning to break the agreement.

I can totally sympathise with all of those users.  Microsoft offer very little tech support for Windows 7 install issues, and what little they do offer is terrible.

As of now, I'm afraid to shut down or restart my machine, in case I get the same "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt" message that forced me to re-install 7.  Luckily, one thing 7 does very well is Sleep.  I can just send my PC to sleep, rather than turning it off.  A simple tap of the space bar and I'm up and running within 5 seconds.

If I can keep this going for another 3 months or so, I'll have enough money for a new PC, and Microsoft will probably have sorted all of this nonsense out by then. :)

Any upgrade version of Windows 7 apparently de-activates previous installations, i.e. your Vista Serial won't work anymore.  So if you try to install Vista, your key will fail.

Now that your 7 key is activated, you SHOULD be able to install it cleanly... but I'm not sure.  You might have to always install it over another OS.  Microsoft are being horribly unclear about everything, so don't feel bad about being confused.

Strangely enough, once Windows 7 is up and working, there are basically no issues that I've come across.  It's just getting it to that stage that's been the problem, and I'm pretty sure that's been due to my choices.

Choice of retailer, choice of media, choice of hardware (i.e. a 4 year old PC)... if you're running a nice machine, then there's no good reason not to switch from XP to 7, unless you can't afford it. :)

Well if I was going to upgrade I'd probably get the family pack (3 Licences) as my dad wants to upgrade too (he has 2 comps). But in that case I'd have to install it on all 3 machines and I can't be arsed being tech support for 3 separate installs.

Windows 7 is such a big success that Apple market share is increasing. huh?

Windows 7 fails to stop Mac's web growth

Although if a user switches from xp/vista to 7, it doesn't increase market share. duh.

I think the more interesting stat is that linux has almost 1% market share and mac only has 5%. I thought mac was at 10% by now?

Gee, those mac fanbois make it sound like everyone has a mac.

Another awesome stat is that vista never broke 20% market share. What a complete failure. MS is happy they got people to pay twice, and I'm sure computer manufacturers are happy about the failure of an OS so people replace perfectly usable web browsing machines for a new one. It's not the hardware, it's the OS/software and users not knowing how to get rid of crapware (why should they? They're just being taken advantage of).

• 1 month later...