GTA 4

Edric O

Well, Grand Theft Auto 4 has now been released, and apparently it was such a smashing success that a local newspaper here ran a story about fans lining up in front of a game store the night before the release. That's an almost Star Wars-ish level of devotion. And it is so mainstream that The Guardian also ran an article about it, this one just for the sake of discussing the game's subtleties.

I haven't played it, and probably won't do so for a long time because of my system, but I was wondering if other people here have. Is it as good as everyone says?

I pre-ordered the standard Xbox 360 edition about a month before release, and I got it on Tuesday morning (release day).  Had a read of the manual and a cursory glance at the street and subway maps, then got stuck in.

So far, having only played the single player, I have to say that it's a very good game.  The cars handle a bit too sluggishly for my personal liking, but everything from the graphics to the storyline is top notch.  One thing I'm very pleased about it the realism of movements and lip-synching - best I've seen in any game to date.

I intend to have a crack at the multiplayer at some point, but I'd like to get the single player content out of the way first.  Might not be able to resist for that long, though; the idea of 16 people running around in a totally open Liberty City is quite appealing. :P

So yeah, the only cons I can think of for this game are sluggish car handling, sometimes awkward controls / camera angles, annoying tendency of people to phone you in-game and ask you to play pool / darts / bowling... other than that, it lives up to all the hype.  Not a 10/10 by my reckoning, but a very solid 9. :)

GTA series.

You can download and play the full version of GTA1 and GTA2 from rockstar website.

http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

You should be able to find the downloads at other places if you do not want to give away your information to a corporation to sell to others. Google will find them for you.

I played the original GTA for countless hours back in the day. And with several good mods that added a lot of playtime (mmm burgercity).

You may want to try playing GTA1, then GTA2 especially since they are free. GTA3 takes a big change from previous two games with much updated graphics and increased playability.

EDIT:

I am now downloading GTA1. :P

I didn't think it was 328mb. Decently big for a 1997 game. EDIT:300mb is music

EDIT: You can fill out fake info at rockstar website to get download links

It got 9.8 out of 10 at the gamtrailers.com video-review. they say it's a game that lives up to the hype and is full of good work, much replay value like the many multiplayer options and features smaller games like like poolbillard which are that good that they also might be standalone games.

I'm intrigued by the multiplayer option. GTA games never had that before. How does it work? I mean, do you have special multiplayer missions? Do you have several players in a persistent world environment?

Actually GTA has had multiplayer since GTA1. I've played that once and it was great fun back in the day killing your friend and racing.

GTA2 also has multiplayer. I'm not sure about gta3 and expansions though.

If you're speaking about the PC versions, Andrew, then they may have.  The original PlayStation versions didn't, though.

The multiplayer in GTA4 is astounding.  There are a ton of different modes; everything from mission oriented (collect cars, a la Gone in 60 Seconds, jobs for the Mafia) to deathmatches (all out or in teams) to capture the flag... there's even a Free Mode, where up to 16 players can roam free around Liberty City.

I'll speak about Free Mode, since it's (in my opinion) the best one.  It's the closest to a persistent world that GTA4 currently offers.  The host sets up a game, and up to 15 others can join.  They all exist in the same instance of Liberty City.  Almost every useful aspect can be customised, including the time of day, weather, traffic, pedestrians, police presence, weapons, spawn distance / time.  You can even specify the game to only take place on one of the islands, or a small section of one (like the docks, or the prison).

You can customise the avatar you use in the multiplayer to some extent, too.  You can choose your gender, some moderate clothing alternatives and face/hair combos.  I imagine more will become available to me once I progress further in the Single Player.  But I have to say, Rockstar have done a fantastic job with making this game.

Did I mention that Rockstar are a Scottish company? ;D