Spoof of Dune

Dunenewt

Who would you cast in a spoof of Dune, and what would like to see in it?  First of all, I'd definitely like to see Seth Green play Feyd.  On a semi related note (Seth Green voices Chris in Family Guy) I'd be interested to see a Family Guy take on Dune, the same way that it did Star Wars.  Bryan as Duncan, Peter as the Baron, the creepy old paedofile as Shaddam, and so on.

Has anyone ever read the National Lampoon's spoof of Dune, Doon?

I don't believe I've seen any of Berg's films as a director yet. But weren't most of his roles as an actor kinda dorky?

The Lynch movie was always a source of comic material for me and my friends. It's almost a spoof of itself. Hopefully the new movie will fare better.

(I read Doon over twenty years ago. It's been pointed out to me that my memory of the details is not all that could be desired.)

Ooh, I'm a Family Guy fan too :D

When watching Lynch's Dune, I had a "spoofy" thought during the scene when Chani tries to dissuade Paul from drinking the water of life. Like: "Don't drink the water of life! Last time you did, it took us almost a week to clean up the mess you made out of our sietch!"

• 3 weeks later...

I've read National Lampoon's Doon more times than I can remember. I still enjoy it.

It's not easy to do a parody that will hold up over time. Too often, the author relies on current pop-culture references, which make the story less funny to readers who aren't familiar with them.

I speak from experience, having put too many "Mork and Mindy" references into a Star Trek spoof I wrote a really long time ago.  :-[

I think it's been out of print for a couple of decades. Shame, really... with the new books being published, there are new fans hungry for all things Dune-related, and this parody is one of the best of the non-Frank Herbert efforts.