what hardware are you going to buy in 2006...?

we got hardware forums for that in germany  ;D

but it's nice to show the world you stuff and to see what everybody else got. unfortunately most people around here are not that much into hardware as it seems. neither buying new stuff nor talking about future developments in the home-use/gaming or business/server field.

but hdds aren't really expensive. at least not over here. 250gb hdds are the best deal, but there's also a good samsung 400gb for a good price. you should save the money elsewhere the next month a get such a hdd rack which I use and 2 hdds for backup or an external hdd case (in which you can put whatever hdd you like). trust me, it's worth it. I'd eat less for 1 month to get backup mediums, I'm serious... because IF they crash you whish you had done it. trust me, I know what I'm talking about... I had data crashs before  >:(

My income is barely, I mean barely covering my outgoings. I have never been this piss poor in my life, well not since I started working, and so I need to be careful with money for a while. Once things settle down, it should all be a bit better. Then I can post away in this thread and make you all envious (or at least post here with some change of actually haveing purchased something ! ::)).

yeah I know these kind of situations (having just as much money as you need or even have less to cover all outgoings. I had this situation for some months this year until I started my new job in august).

but you should at least save the most important data then, with 1hdd or at least the REALLY even more important ones on cds/dvds...

okay this sounds crazy... but I guess I'm gonna spend really a lot of money next week. I'm thinking about those stupid lcds for almost the last 2 weeks now and here's what I'm probably going to do:

- sell my "old" dell 20" lcd to my dad (he needs it anyway for a home office and I get a good price)

- buy a new dell 24" (yes I know I'm crazy!) widescreen lcd for my place at home (there was/is a huge price drop right now)

- buy a new lg 20" widescreen for work

it sounds crazy, but in the end I only have to pay around 550

yeah it really rocks... can't wait to have it at home. my current 20" dell is already sold now, I just have to pack it and take it with me to my father's place when I go there in decembre.

I just bought the lcd for work too... it's a 17" (BenQ FP73G)

Hey, I'm looking to buy an internal hard drive with a usb2.0 case to make it external. Now, I found a neat 250gb 16mb harddrive from Seagate for ~75 bucks. It's SATA, now my question is will any external case work with SATA? Also, should I be cautious at all with what case I'm buying with what hard drive?

Here are the two products I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148144 - hard drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817145124 - case

If you have any better deals, that'd be cool, too. Thanks!

this won't match!

1. it's a 2,5" case but you get a 3,5" hdd

2. as far as I can see it is for eide hdds not sata

the hdd itself is finde, buy it, that's a good one. as for the external case you have 2 choices:

1. you pick a (3,5") case which supports sata hdds and can be connected to your pc via usb (and/or firewire)

2. you pick a (3,5") case which supports sata hdds and can be connected to your pc via e-sata

as most of the pc users don't have an e-sata port yet (newer pc will feature this mostly, my new mainboard has one e.g.) I'd recommend the choice no. 1 so check out those cases and take alook which one appeals to you the most. also don't forget to check the connection (usb, firewire, sata) as I only made a search for 3,5" cases which are designed for sata hdds:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?SrchInDesc=sata&Page=1&Category=9&N=2000090092+1053807123&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&SubCategory=92

why didn't you buy the 7950 GT instead... newer, a bit faster and the XFX version has passive cooling. and pricing is not much above the 7900GT (at least not in germany). I wanted to get one of those but I decided to wait for the 8800GTS/GTX and bought just a "small" card for time I have to wait...

Because there wasn't *much* difference, and the price was an extra 30-45$, and as a student I can't afford that at the moment. Not like the 7900GT won't rape though. And hell if it won't be an improvement off of a 6100 integrated.

EDIT: That and it's only a transition card to the DX10 series.

this won't match!

1. it's a 2,5" case but you get a 3,5" hdd

2. as far as I can see it is for eide hdds not sata

the hdd itself is finde, buy it, that's a good one. as for the external case you have 2 choices:

1. you pick a (3,5") case which supports sata hdds and can be connected to your pc via usb (and/or firewire)

2. you pick a (3,5") case which supports sata hdds and can be connected to your pc via e-sata

as most of the pc users don't have an e-sata port yet (newer pc will feature this mostly, my new mainboard has one e.g.) I'd recommend the choice no. 1 so check out those cases and take alook which one appeals to you the most. also don't forget to check the connection (usb, firewire, sata) as I only made a search for 3,5" cases which are designed for sata hdds:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?SrchInDesc=sata&Page=1&Category=9&N=2000090092+1053807123&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&SubCategory=92

Haha, thanks for letting me know it won't fit! That would've been a pain. Anyway, I looked and found a cool one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817801013

With the hard drive I linked to before, I think it'll turn out pretty swell. I'll update later when I get it. Thanks for the help!

@ acriku: this looks good now :)

and yes, the hdd is a good one. some friends bought some of those too, I can recommend them.

@ ghosthunter: nice, which model (manufacturer did you chose). the xfx model?

the new displays arrived today. I got the 17" as primary monitor at work now and the company's 17" as secondary.  much better than with that old 19" crt as secondary.

tonight I'll unpack the 24" dell... I'm very excited. I hope everything is fine.

I bought a new dvd-burner recently with s-ata interface.

I'm planning on modding my case soon: make a hole above the mainboard for better cable management and spraypaint it black on the inside...

the new displays arrived today. I got the 17" as primary monitor at work now and the company's 17" as secondary.  much better than with that old 19" crt as secondary.

tonight I'll unpack the 24" dell... I'm very excited. I hope everything is fine.

We want pictures ;)