what hardware are you going to buy in 2006...?

I never get it why people buy 19", 22" or 26" which always have the same resolution as the lower model (17", 20", 24")... I always feel like being ripped off whenever a manufacturer decides to built such a display.

Well, the 225bw is 1600x1050 which is 16:10 widescreen. The ideal is 16:9, so not far off, but if you look at the monitors that are actually that AND 22'' you're looking at a price jump of about $200. Plus, it's Samsung. End of story with that; they're the best brand. The only disadvantage theoeretically is increase pixalation, which 2 feet away you can't see regardless.

you don't seem to get what I mean: 20" widescreen displays have 1680x1050 resolution. so 22" with the SAME resolution as 20" are a rip-off in my opinion. So are 19" which have the same res as 17". and 26" have the same res as 24"... so why spend money on a 22" if the 20" got the same res?

either a 20" ws with 1680x1050 or a 24" with 1920x1200 makes sense... also the 22" mostly use TN Panels like most 20" do - the 225bw unfortunately also has a TN panel. I decided for the dell 24" which has a samsung panel - but S-PVA not TN.

but the most important part is that you are happy with your monitor  ;)

S-PVA ? TN ? Huh ?  :O Explain for us Earthlings what such things are, please, so we might be cleverer and more alien like when we go to buy our 22" monitors  :).

And veK, dont worry about my friend, he went and grabbed a laptop, HP, I dont know which model yet.

Yeah-hhh. Just looked at it, I'm paying anywhere between $500-700 dollars for a Dell monitor in the same size ($720 for the 24'').

Paid $350 for mine, so I'm content.

Besides, Dell is just a Samsung anyways.

EDIT: However, I admit to Dell being a consideration from the get-go

• 2 weeks later...

you don't seem to get what I mean: 20" widescreen displays have 1680x1050 resolution. so 22" with the SAME resolution as 20" are a rip-off in my opinion. So are 19" which have the same res as 17". and 26" have the same res as 24"... so why spend money on a 22" if the 20" got the same res?

either a 20" ws with 1680x1050 or a 24" with 1920x1200 makes sense... also the 22" mostly use TN Panels like most 20" do - the 225bw unfortunately also has a TN panel. I decided for the dell 24" which has a samsung panel - but S-PVA not TN.

but the most important part is that you are happy with your monitor  ;)

yadda yadda yadda... all you people should just save up for the  30" Widescreen Monitor. ($1,274)  :P .  Its the best Monitor in the world and all my friends who own one love them to death. I'm still contemplating upgrading my Sony  24" Widescreen to one.  Damn i have seen this monitor in action and its like playing your games on a movie screen.  Oh and the 2560 x 1500 res is nothing to sneeze at either.

yadda yadda yadda... all you people should just save up for the  30" Widescreen Monitor. ($1,274)  :P . 

Man I would kill for one of those monitors. I can only imagine how nice they are. I'm still stuck with my 19" one, but at least it is a nice flat-screen. I remember upgrading this one from the 15" one I had. What a nice difference it was...but 30" damn! I've got to get one of those, I've been drooling over one for some time now.

erjin to figure out what is a good mid-range card ... its quite simple my dear....

go find out which cards were "the best" on Tom's hardware .... 6 months to 1 year ago.

Yesterday's Premium Cards are tomorrow's mid-range cards  ;)

That sounds logical enough, except some cards come out at mid-performance & mid-price range (the cards I want) straight off, and dont start off at the top and work their way down. Luckily, toms hardware and anandtech and others do reviews of midrange cards and even have a simple "how much do you want to spend ? ok, get this..." list.

as we are now a weeks into 2007 this topic seems obsolete. For the final post some stuff I bought last December. The LCD and computer is currently in use by my gf for CD2 stuff and Flash. Nothing really special inside and I plan to buy another 500 or 800 gig disk for it.

http://picturez.game-heaven.com/hardware20061.JPG

http://picturez.game-heaven.com/hardware20062.JPG

http://picturez.game-heaven.com/hardware20063.JPG