Look at this...

TheRedDuke05

I'd have to see how many books were sold. My guess is that quite a few were. If they wern't that popular, you'ld have seen the first one or two, or even three sold, and then the last couple not sell very well at all.

But again, I don't think we could say without seeing some actual numbers.

*Around here at any rate, there appears to be the general feeling that it wasn't that good, and thus not too popular. With that said, even a lot of the people that didn't like them around here at least read all of them, with many of them buying them.

*This is from my own unscientific and non-statistical compilation of evidence based on what I've seen in posts.

Since his death the main controversy within the science fiction community is whether the new Dune books by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson should be considered canonical. Critics argue that these books do not have the quality of the original series, especially with regard to the articulation of complex ideas about human life that was such a concern of Frank Herbert.

Also, Herbert's close friend Dr. Willis E. McNelly (1920

Burn, heretic, burn.

I don't know many people who are even into Dune in my area, so I don't know much about prequel popularity. Though I do note that the bookshops are never short of copies, which means they ain't exactly flying off the shelves. ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert

The Wikipedia section on Frank Herbert says that the prequals of Dune were popular amoung fans. I find that really hard to beleive, whats your say on it?

The majority of Dune fans probably bought the prequels. In order to have an accurate image of their popularity, you should compare their sales to those of the butlerian jihad trilogy. My guess is they must have dropped.

well id did not dislike the prequels but to get a real grip of the duniverse you got to read franks books.

At least they did not bother to go to this forum to see how "popular" the prequels are around here..

meybe we should invite them?

that a book sells does not mean it is popular around its fans it could also mean:

a we like to have a complete series on our shelves just for the look of things

b not the fans but everybody els buys the books

c kevin and brian buy a lot of the books themselves dicuised as various costumers

etc.

same here all books are in yellow!!!!! right now, I've still got the old ones in black (much more stylish) but the first to books by frank are paperback as the rest are all hardcover so how the hell am I going to get a matchin set hardcover ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert

The Wikipedia section on Frank Herbert says that the prequals of Dune were popular amoung fans. I find that really hard to beleive, whats your say on it?

Look at the link now. You cannot trust Wikipedia. Anyone can post and and to the catalog. See what I just added? See how long it takes Wikipedia to remove it.  ;D

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I liked the prequel to Dune series (House Atreides on up), and started reading the Dune series from there. When I orgionally read Dune, twas hard to follow. Going back to the prequel helped me. A lot.

Think it was a smart idea to do that? I mean, without Butlerian Jihad on up?

Speaking of Wikipedia, I recently had to correct a gross mistake in there contents.

They had listed Dune as having been written by Frank and Brian Herbert.

It is listed as such no longer.

Ok, it's time to counter and invent a pro-Brian conspiracy then ;D