Revival of "What Improvements We Want To See In Emperor"

Great game. One of the main reasons I have found little play time for it is because it has a really really bad interface. Sometimes I can find someone's game, doubleclick it to join, and for some reason the spinning hourglass glares back at me for a good few minutes before telling me I have lost connection to the server. These are the little things I hate in Emperor.

Also, note that Emperor does not have the really user-friendly interface that Warcraft III online has. Could we have like easier to use commands, easy messaging, easily accessible friends list, etc? Just like Warcraft III? It would take a lot of editing or something, but since Fed2K has become the home of Dune fans and Emperor mainplayers it could be a possible outcome. Perhaps something like the Mini-Patch mod, except for the interface?

Also, about the AI, it would be great if the AI were stronger. I mean, at least let Easy, Normal and Hard have greater disparity in between them. They don't seem much different to me. Also, allow the editing of teams, like having predefined teams from the start, allowing you to ally with computer, or comp ally with comp, etc. Flexibility. Notice that Warcraft and Generals, the newer RTS games, feature these.

Oh, and please make Red playable in singleplayer Skirmish games. I hate playing as orange or blue Harkonnen.

I know these changes would need hardcore editing. I know nothing about editing or programming or anything for that matter, but I'm sure many of us would rejoice at such new projects, should they come about.

Cheers.

man leave ebfd the way it is. its too old for changing now. do u remeber haw ure pc looked at 2001?

things have changed dramaticly since then. i mean what in earth are u comparing? war craft 3 is a brand new up to date rts game. i tell u what we need: we need a new dune game from EA  were we can live the dream again. have 100s of players and some new  stuff at arrakyes . olso some offical  EA servers  and ladder/clan competion. untill that day  there is no use in trying to move things around

we are just a hand full of players that i can even tell all there names in this message....

most of them are vetrains and dual players that they would be on top  of any upcoming EA dune games

ladders/clans  but for now they will continue compeating them self to death as they put nobs like me  in great  suffring  :O

its also really no surprise that an old game doesnt have new features like gens and wc3, given it was made some 4 years before

Also, having no current support via EA or Westwood might have alot to do with it.  ;)  Even with no new features, good luck finding an RTS that is new that matches it for gameplay.

leave it as it is..yeah its a great game, and its so easy to handle. i dont need a new interface its fast, balanced, and for me it looks good enough...i tried wc3 and it wasnt easy for me. to much shortkeys, to much magic, strange unitlimit and so on......so i left wc3 after 1 day....hehe...

EMP ROCKS, and i love it!!!

Find the Emperordata folder on your disk (this should be C:WestwoodEmperorDATA unless you changed the install path). Create a folder name 'model' in it. Put the attached file in it. The default blue color is now in fact red even though it still apears blue in the skirmish screen. Note you appear red only to yourself - other players without this file will still see you as blue (if you play online that is).

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Neat. It is possible to modify it such that the substitution occurs at a more random colour? Like green for example...

Also, if I use that, would that mean playing an 8 player game create 2 red players (from my vantage)?

Why would there be two red players in an 8 player game? There is no other red color available in skirmish. As for the color replaced by red, if another uses it then he will appear red to you. But that means noone else will be using (including you). If you are using it then it can't be selected by another player. So there will only be one red player in any skirmish game from your point of view (and none from another player's). It can only happen in a campaign game but it is unlikely. It is possible to make it so it never happens but that would mean that you will play hark in campaign with another color. Hope everything's clear.

Try the file attached to this post. This time the green color has been replaced.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Okay, I guess I'll need a bit of rephrasing. If say I take the green colour (not the teal colour. It's the green one). So I'll appear red to myself. Effectively, green appears red to me, but there is another genuine red in the game (unless you say that the colours have been effectively swapped). So I'll see 2 reds?

the true is that in wc III u need more skill in MACRO than dune...i played wc3 for one year and i think i know it very well and if even there are like 5 crap PCS the game wont lag .........The interface in WC3,is much better with free bugs...Well remember one thing...BLIZZARD STILL MAKES PATCHES FOR A 7-YEAR GAME OLD...(means its much beter than ww or ea)and they really care about their games...i m not saying that i dont like ebfd..i m just telling u the truth...WC3 has a MUCH BETTER INTERFACE even if its a 2002 game with worse grapchis than Emp

P.S:Oh and yeah..starcraft(1998) has a better interface than emperor...hmm how weird isnt it?and wc3 its a 2002 game(almost old as ebfd)...

I think its pretty crappy that a game would need a patch after 7 farking years.... so i dont give Blizzard any credit there.

The fact that WW made a game (EBFD) and patched it after a month it came out and then it was perfect shows the better quality.

P.S:Oh and yeah..starcraft(1998) has a better interface than emperor...hmm how weird isnt it?and wc3 its a 2002 game(almost old as ebfd)...

Umm, that is not a better interface, not even comparable. These games might be older, but they just don't compare to Emp's overall gameplay.

True enough. I played as Green Harkonnen in an 8player Fisher's Plain skirmish game. I appeared red to myself. But an Ordos AI was ALSO RED!

Is there a way to fix this? Like turning green to red and red to green, and also using the skirmish red tint instead of the coop campaign red (the coop campaign red is 255,0,0 which is not the one used in skirmish. The one in skirmish is darker...)

What program did you use to make the ArtIni file?

Sorry, I am confused. I thought Apoo had, as part of his Mini-Patch, a file that defined the colours. I assumed that simply editing that would mean there needn't be more then one occurance of a colour. Or is that for online play only ?