All these years and still Mediocre

alchemi2

I've been playing Emperor since the haydays and yet i'm still amazed by some of you elite guys.

How fast you build and produce units and never seem to run out of cash!

Players like Jeff and appollo ( of course Mord (don't want to upset him again)) I've had mentors like Doompower and Darnnoobs etc.

i seen players like Kalony and Nunj come along and rise through the ranks and yet i seem to stand still, so in this melocody and slightly drunk state. i raise the question.

What the hell am i doing wrong?

Candid advise and tips are welcome.

Maybe it's age that effect the reactions but what the hay. it's still one of the few games i play online and such a nice bunch of players that i still get a game despite often being outclassed . big thanks for that, see you on the battlefield , i'm always prepared to die.

hi alc :)

a couple of things..

>dont always use a concrete bo, you should build based on what your opponents/allies are doing

>most of the time your screen should NOT be on your own base.

>use hotkeys and get everything built/upgraded as fast as possible

>build windtraps randomly-never go low power, EVER

>more than 1 conyard in long boring games

>use harv drops at opportune times-just ignore the names they call you

>don't bend over when gunwounds is around

:)

top 4 are pretty important imo

I think this topic get moved into emp stragety board.  :)Anyway...

How more money we get when playing?

1.I make a 4th refinery when i get money about 1.5k or 2k in full upgraded 3refs.

2.Sometimes we can make ref first(thats bo good when opponent doesnt rely on early insane rush or you can stop early rush). or old guys know make about 2harvesters in ur factor or something.

3.in late game if possible you can get lots of mcv in ur starport. It is just like a insurance

hmm But that is best you should fight when ur army can beat up opponent units next you can afford to get more refinary with expend base.

rostok harvester drop tips....it very annoying to opponent. If someone doing to you, you can call ur harvester too, and catch all opponent harvester in ur ad-carryall in late game ;D

Well Alchemi I don't have any advice for you...mainly because I feel the same way you do. I have been playing for years now and no matter what I do there is always someone who seems to build faster or has better control over their units. What I do now is not so much worry about how good I am. Instead I try and be realistic about my skill level and try and play team games that are evenly matched. To me close team games that seems to go back and forth are the reason for me being online. I'm not saying that you should give up on trying to get better because we all are costantly trying to improve...IMO. If this didn't help than check out empworm's website. He has a lot of useful information there.

hey alch, i know u well.....u r good in later games, there u are creative by finding nice strats and so on.....ur problem is always the start...lemme say the first 5-10 minuits.

i started to get better when i trained in skirmish games the first 5 min (dont play those games to end,....just try to built fast).

i trained to press always "E, W, Q" for placing buildings and walking through the menu.

i trained to upgrade imidiatly, to built and place buildings imidiatly, to not even have 1 second of doing or producing nothing, coz every second will give the enemy an advantage wich is hard to beat in rushgames.

and i trained to stop building vehicles when i hit 200 or less for a sec. never hit zero.

than choose a bo, wich isnt hard to handle but good against every enemy bo....like the middle of all...its for hark and ordos probably BAR REF FAC REF SARD REF. if u can handle this, u can handle other bo`s to.

the second point is that sometimes it looks only like the enemy has more units, coz he attacks better than u, and looses less units in the fight. but this is hard to explain. for ordos its like try to hit and run, that ur units can regenerate, and for hark, try to let ur scouts kill inf. try to move inf and buzzaws alone.

for both houses and also for atreideslight unit fights try to attack like in circles.if u have all units at 1 point, and he is araund u, u will loose, and think he has more units. try to attack always the edge of his force. so u have a strong force on a weak point of his force....so u kill some units slowly, but u will overcount him soon....

but most important is to have fun alch, and i know u have, so its always a pleasure to play with u.

KALONY

Thanks for replies guys will try them out. Should never post while under the influence (memo to oneself) :-[

Always enjoy playing online just occassionally feel  fustrated at letting ally down but always have fun and that's the main thing after all  ;) :)

Alchemi, I always feel the same as you and desert. I am in awe of those people who produce seemingly impossibly sized armies in seconds, have loads of units and buildings, and seem undefeatable. So like desert says, I am realistic of what I can do and play to the best of my abilities.

I have improved, but only from playing people like darnnoobs, leo, jeff and kalony, people who will give advice. Trust me when I say you are not alone about the way you feel in those games. Just remember, some people feel the same way about you (how does he get gunships so quick and so many, I used to think)...

And yes, never post under the influence  :P

I found out what mean Mediocre now. forgive my ignorance. If I knew what it mean already, I would another reply.

You are not mediocre alch. In fact almost here probly ever felt like a your feeling.

now we playing as team often. SO no more we need to feel my skill bad. I have played lots of 1 on 1 match, but I prefer to playing team match. I fear 1 on 1 match possible. (maybe hate to lose  ;))one important thing more

alch you know we playing games just for fun. But when I play 1 on 1, I just concentrate on how can I beat my opposite. It take away fun. I dont want to bring stress in playing anymore.

when playing team match, no one  superior or mediocre. :)

If someone blame ur skill poor and more call you bad, that is just he so mind with poor.

I thank you all still playing emp guys all elites or newb. But remember alch you are not just mediocre, you know how to enjoy emp well. ;)

what kalony said is correct, but u have to take other things in consideration.

For one, it is really REALLY important that u scout well, if ur scout does not get in the first try, sneak one in past the guarding units. If u move short bits he remains invisible to the enemy.

Small point is to keep ur scout invisible whilst moving through his base, so he will not know that you scouted him.

The main purpess is that you must be able to see what your enemy is doing, so you can anticipate his actions. For instance, that suckerpunch u gave me last time was possible because I did not scout properly, so I did not see

you need to set up a series of 1 vs 1 games where an elite just beats the living crap out of you like 30 times in a row (while giving constructive criticism)

It will make you hard and seasoned. Its what i did with scar5150 and many others when they were noobs and altho scar5150 still isnt an elite he is 10 times better than he was and i consider him above average and good enough to hold his own against most players.

you need to set up a series of 1 vs 1 games where an elite just beats the living crap out of you like 30 times in a row (while giving constructive criticism)

It will make you hard and seasoned. Its what i did with scar5150 and many others when they were noobs and altho scar5150 still isnt an elite he is 10 times better than he was and i consider him above average and good enough to hold his own against most players.

Wow, if I can just find time for that! :P

i guess, thats the best thread ever bout how to play emp....

hey alch, since u r a guy who like to go planes and devs fast in teamgames, so try to stay in ur base...turtle a lil bit, coz i overount u soon, if u spend money in starport and hangar, while i am getting 3 facs and 3 sards.

but people, dont think alch is that bad...he did good games. i remmeber 1 game, where i saw he was building slow, so i rushed him. it was a 3vs3 and earlie in the game. i thought he is dead, and we have now a 2vs3 and we will win easy. what i didnt recogniced was, that alch thought he will loose this rock for sure, so he made an mvc first and moved to a rock far away, and i dont know y, but no1 of us saw that. there he growed realy big, and after a while he surprised us and crushed us....hehe

KALONY

Exactly kalony...

Alchemi, you are one of the better players out there, and I am shure when you are more sober you would agree with me (or you bloody well should agree with me  :P). You might not improve much as far as you can tell, but you are still a good player who is getting better.

Heck I have seen people come along (sadian and sd00711 to name two) and go from new players to good players in virtually no time, which made me feel just like you, but at the end of the day, I still think of you and scar of being at that standard that I would like to achieve.

I actually have, like I am shure many of us have, a mental rank of all the players I know by name...and alc, you are not too far down ! hehe...

Kalony is bottom, with leo ! joking

Thanks for the morale booster and hints and tips. Was feeling LOW and drunk when started this thread  :-[.

Will try out the advice and who knows may increase those aging reflexes. ;)

At the end of the day i still enjoy playing and having fun has alway been more important than winning for me (all though everyone loves to win) ;D

yeah, new guys getting better verry fast these days, coz of the small comunity. coz the most of us r elite or at least verry good, so new guys have much games with good-skilled-players, what make em learn fast.

and at the end 3 less skilled freaks can win 3 good skilled guys, if theyx have a better teamplay. so imo a good partner is more important than to be good skilled....***(((remember the days when darnnoob was playing)))***

KALONY

yeah, new guys getting better verry fast these days, coz of the small comunity. coz the most of us r elite or at least verry good, so new guys have much games with good-skilled-players, what make em learn fast.

So all those crap players back then when you and me started kept us from getting better quick ?  :P

I do agree some people can be excellent team players and not so good 1 vs 1 players.

It still works just agree to meet someone in there, it was never broken. Just with the lack of players hardly anyone goes there. What I would like to see is a map randomizer in the options. Hell an all option randomizer would be pretty sweet too. Keep the normal QM sets but randomize the map and FOW/LW/SW.

Get to it mod makers =P oh and it has to be one of those that wont effect connectivity/play if someone doesn't have it. ;D

*pinch* yeah I know I'm dreaming :-

It still works just agree to meet someone in there, it was never broken. Just with the lack of players hardly anyone goes there. What I would like to see is a map randomizer in the options. Hell an all option randomizer would be pretty sweet too. Keep the normal QM sets but randomize the map and FOW/LW/SW.

Damn I didn't realize it still worked

i think, it do not work, i remember a day on x wis, when we were 4 guys, and we have test it. try it. so we 4 guys tryed at the same time to get qm-games...we should have get 2 games, but we not even got 1. imo qm was a part of wol, and on the xwis server is something missing to get it to work....we can ask olaf for this.

KALONY

• 5 months later...